Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Few questions about shore blinds for the collective wisdom here. Relatively new to duck hunting (2nd season).

I understand that crown land starts at the highest high tide mark. For this reason it is legal to hunt along the shoreline of private land, parks, etc (assuming all the other distances and regs are in order). But where does this line realistically lie? Most shore blinds I've used are certainly not in ankle deep water at high tide...they are set back above the high tide, often at the edge of the treeline. So, they would then be sitting on private land right? Or inside that park, etc. Am I missing something? Could a landowner reasonably charge you with hunting their private land out of a shore blind?

Also, if you come across a blind along the shore... is the custom that if you got there first that day you can hunt it? Obviously if you did you'd work to brush it in, keep it up, etc. Or do folks expect to "own" certain blinds.

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Hi folks. Few questions about shore blinds for the collective wisdom here. Relatively new to duck hunting (2nd season).

I understand that crown land starts at the highest high tide mark. For this reason it is legal to hunt along the shoreline of private land, parks, etc (assuming all the other distances and regs are in order). But where does this line realistically lie? Most shore blinds I've used are certainly not in ankle deep water at high tide...they are set back above the high tide, often at the edge of the treeline. So, they would then be sitting on private land right? Or inside that park, etc. Am I missing something? Could a landowner reasonably charge you with hunting their private land out of a shore blind?

Also, if you come across a blind along the shore... is the custom that if you got there first that day you can hunt it? Obviously if you did you'd work to brush it in, keep it up, etc. Or do folks expect to "own" certain blinds.
Unless something has changed over the years YEP
Rule was land gets wet crown / dry private most times since private owns 87% of the shore line in Nova Scotia
I am sure someone will correct this is wrong add that to the regs Blind cannot be there IMHO
Attention all Hunters and Trappers—with the province being above 60% private land, it is important that hunters and trappers understand and respect private property rights. Remember it is not permissible to build or leave structures, such as blinds, on private property. The province strongly encourages hunters and trappers to seek permission to enter private lands.

· Registered
3,895 Posts
Falls under Fisheries Act actually with high water mark , believe it or not Waterfowl is actually enforced by Fisheries and Oceans , since Federal licence , but Provincial C.Os do enforce and conduct inspections .

Now any water course tidal or non tidal is allowed to be hunted 3 ft from high water mark within reason , saying this as our other discussion on ask for entry upon private lands, you can legally walk , hunt fish or trap the high water mark of any water course , but cannot build a blind upon private water front .

Myself I'ts just not worth the hassle to hunt near private water fronts PERIOD ! ! Dwelling there or not , even a seasonal camp site with trailer and then removed in winter . I avoid all contact Hunting Waterfowl as much as possible and give space to existing well used blind by regular guys in that spot.

We have 17 different blinds we maintain where I hunt , some get used more than others , others are rotated season to season , if we go in and someone got to one of those blinds we just go over to next one , they are there first so let it be . Saying that we had a crowd trying to come in and push us out after only couple yrs coming to our regular area we hunt , made it perfectly clear your here to cause trouble and best you find new spot , your not going to push our group out after almost 4 decades hunting up here . It's called respect for others , we give space to other groups and expect the same . Plus it vollies the birds back and forth thru the coves , with groups hunting in other spots .

We had 2 guys this yr Scab hunt off our set ups , plus cause damage to my trailer and let air outta my truck tires cause we got up very early 2am drove a hour and half , sat around for a bit once we stuck the boat in the water and hauled gear to it . Only thing to do was wait for hour and half b4 daylight as it takes 40 min boat ride to outter Island . They tried tell us we had to leave cause they showed up 2 hours after we were ready to push off the shore line . Does not work that way , and trust me I see that truck around they will get charged as I have already spoke with Fisheries Officer after this happened on a traffic stop after he seen me pull out from hunting trip . All was good and his opinion was , Your there first , your legal distance and your managing the blinds . Well it's your spot for the day , they were interfering with legal hunt .

Sorry to be long winded , but been chasing birds down for long enough to know and share what I've encountered and experienced

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Thank you Walter for the excellent explaination
Been many many years since I have hunted any shores in blinds around here. Once I found PEI that was it :) as I see you are getting hooked over there also
No wonder what a spot for birds
talk care

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
I don't feel entitled myself to anything Kevin except for respect , If it's not given to me in first place , they will NOT get in in return from me in any way shape or form .
NOPE..me either bud !
Big diff in old school hunters compared to "some" of the new generation that's out there now ! Not all....some ! It still puts a big Chesshire grin on my face when I see guys taking the time and properly involving their kids in the hunting / shooting sports. Teaching some manners, respect and ethics for others will go a long ways in their lives !!

· Registered
130 Posts
I hunt primarily on the Eastern Shore. Hunt primarily chezzetcook, lawrencetown a bit and some petpeswick inlets. I’ve always been first come first serve on the shore blinds, though we mostly hunt out of A frames and layout blinds. And the shore blinds, on a falling tide can be 20-30 further to the waters edge so you end up with some longer shots. It’s definitely pretty competitive around here, opening day sounds like Vietnam lol.

A lot of the shore blinds are on peoples property, and they seem to be okay with it. Only issues I’ve heard from really is people from Ontario building homes or buying existing homes on the water. And calling the cops, as they aren’t accustomed to 3-4 guys dumping their shotguns at daylight lol.
The tubs people have anchored in the marsh are the only thing I know other people get pissed off about. Cause they took days dragging the thing out and burring anchors. And maintaining them after hurricanes and ice pans taking them. I know there’s been fights and slashed tires over people going the tubs without permission

· Registered
911 Posts
Were i hunt its usually first come first serve most blinds have been there for years and fixed by everyone so don't block were guys put there boats in and usually no problems.And when theres problems have a witness and keep your gun in the bag and deal with it lol.Most guys that hunt an area know each other so shoot the shit lf your new and when ya set up thats your spot for the day .If they don't have a deed to go with their blind its usually first come first serve in my experience most times.Theres always guys that think they own everything if they are there first set up a safe distance away from them and hunt nothing wrong with that.I find the more guys hunting an area the more birds move the more shots ya get. Nobody has the right to push ya out of public land and if they come in on ya and won't stay at a safe range say 150yds its time to have a talk imo.
My only issues i have is with guys who don't really know an area or scout it show up a 1/2 hour before shootin time set up there decoys with their led ffs lights on their heads and drive out everything early.We were hunting one time there was a few us out then we see a light on shore a couple hundred yds away next thing ya know there building a blind.Long story short they drove out everything before legal time with the lights and noise and nobody got shots..So if ya wanna build a blind i'd say do it after legal shoot time its differant if ya got a pop up or layout blind but if your goin to use trees wait till after legal shoot times.That way if ya start movin them guys get shots and you will be liked lol And if the birds are comin in early stay low at get your shots.
I seen something that really irked alot of us one time guys were using a common blind lets say they were tourist anyway when they cleaned their birds they left everything in the blind.Discusting pigs thats all i can say would do something like that and should not ever call themselves hunters.

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Most of what I hunt now is Just us setting up wherever we end up, building a little brush blind or sitting in some tall grass.

But there is one area we go with a few old blinds. And we just treat it as first come first serve. For opening day we will go out earlier and put a marker with our name on the blind. Don’t know if helps but we haven’t had any troubles with it.

Last year we did that except my friend put out an a frame and brushed it in. We all got there super early. and just after he was done setting up a guy in a kayak paddled in not 20yd away and started setting up. So he went over to explain and the guy said he was out scouting day before and never even saw the blind it was so well done. So he just brought his gear over and hunted with my friend and they ended up exchanging contact info and did a couple more hunts together I think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts