Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I WENT TO THE LEBARON WEB SITE A SHORT TIME AGO AND FOUND OUT THAT AFTER 58 YEARS THEY ARE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS. EVERYTHING ON SALE. TOO BAD BECAUSE THEY HAD FOUR LARGE STORES IN QUE AND ONT AND HAD A LARGE ONLINE BUSINESS. WITH THEM GONE THE COMPETITION WILL HAVE SWAY OVER PRICING ON EVERTHING OUTDOORS.

KEMPT

·
Registered
225 Posts
I heard the news at the beginning of the week. From what I've been reading its their online business that had a lot to do with there downfall. I found the prices to be competitive at LeBaron's but I personally found the customer service extremely bad when I called to order. I tried ordering using the online method and only received a part of the order because they were out of stock on the other items (not even an email or phone call to let me know). During my next order with them I switched to the phone order method. During that experience I had the feeling that I was being an inconvenience to the lady on the other end and she had better things to do than take my order. I never ordered anything from them after that. Once I have a bad experience with a company I tend not to go back to them. I would rather pay a little more and receive good customer service.

I will say that its unfortunate that the smaller outdoors outfitters are going under.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Also tried to order from them probably 7 years ago, they were out of stock and the woman on the phone was rude. Never ordered from them again much more choices out there but still sucks a CDN retailer is going under.

·
Administrator
10,989 Posts
They used to be THE PLACE to go when in Mtl....they had a beautiful old store on St Laurent Blvd....3 floors....creaking hardwood....old Victorian carpet on the steps..great staff back then too. You could definitely smell the history of the place in there.

As of late, I too found them to be a little too pre-occupied with other stuff than the orders on the phone. Seems every time they had a sale on something I wanted...it was out of stock, often, at times... the very same day the sale started !

Too bad, but I honestly think it was inevitable.

·
Registered
319 Posts
yes well worth the walk down through them old city streets

had things we never had down here and quite the selection like Kevin said

found some nice items for me and the wife

·
GREYBEARD
3,251 Posts
I used to deal with them and didn't have an issue.

I liked the Ottawa store but I know Cabelas just.opened a store there as well

·
Administrator
10,989 Posts
Heh...the new Ottawa store was right beside our new office out in Kanata.

That place became one of my regular stops as well. I used to get Federal target loads for 42.99 a case....and clays for 13.99 on sale....they would last a bit....all we had were the old wood / steel spring hand throwers...by the time you threw 40 or 50 clays for others...you were too sore to shoot...lol....lol....how the times have changed !!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Was their web site modern? I thought when I found it, it looked like a PDF of the old printed catalog. Couldn't really search for something, get details on the item, reviews, all that modern stuff. I remember looking through the old catalog when I was young. It was amazing to see all the stuff - they were the Cabelas of the day for eastern Canada anyway.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Their website was unbelievably bad and years ago when I tried to buy a 45/70 Marlin Guide Gun from them I got a nasty Quebecois sounding hag on the line who totally drove me away. I went online to the next place on my list (Elwood Epps) and got the same gun and had a much more pleasant experience. I am not surprised at the demise of their business....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.