Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've seen a growing number of hunters in the US using modified slingshots to make a small, compact bow with upwards of 55lbs of draw(minimum of 40lbs for hunting deer and bear and 50lbs for moose in NS) and the draw weight could be increased even more with thicker bands. would this be legal for use in Nova Scotia? would it be classified as a bow? it has really sparked my interest due to the small size of the entire package, able to fit in a large jacket pocket with ease. I'd also like to hear some opinions you might have on this idea, there's been plenty of testing done in the US, but I haven't heard of anything out of Canada yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have a link to a picture or article?
http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/pocket-hunter-in-hand.jpg

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/pocket-hunter-with-arrows.jpg

it's effectively a marksman slingshot with a arrow rest and stronger bands. btw, I updated the info, the draw weight can be as high as 55lbs with the heavy duty bands available as a extra.

this is the website that first commercially sold them and is owned by the inventor and patent owner of the arrow rest.

http://www.thepathfinderstore.com/pocket-hunter/?sort=bestselling

·
Advertiser
241 Posts
I have seen them, a few customers have brought them into the store. Very strong and accurate. Never gave it any thought on weather they could be used for hunting or not. Guess it comes down to what is the definition of a bow. you are using an arrow, and rubber instead of string.

There are Youtube Videos on sling bows as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen them, a few customers have brought them into the store. Very strong and accurate. Never gave it any thought on weather they could be used for hunting or not. Guess it comes down to what is the definition of a bow. you are using an arrow, and rubber instead of string.

There are Youtube Videos on sling bows as well.
yes, just used the pictures since he asked for them. I have been watching the inventor's videos for a while and have seen them as very effective hunting tools, the only issue is if the nova scotia government would consider them bows since they shoot a arrow at the required draw weight.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Does the sling bow meet the legal definition of a bow in Nova Scotia??

"bow" means a tool for projecting arrows which consists of a handle and one or more flexible limbs which are held bent by a string or cable which is drawn, pulled or released or held in a drawn position, other than as part of a crossbow, by hand or hand-held release and not by any mechanical device attached to any portion of the bow other than the bowstring;

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does the sling bow meet the legal definition of a bow in Nova Scotia??

"bow" means a tool for projecting arrows which consists of a handle and one or more flexible limbs which are held bent by a string or cable which is drawn, pulled or released or held in a drawn position, other than as part of a crossbow, by hand or hand-held release and not by any mechanical device attached to any portion of the bow other than the bowstring;
and where did you get that definition from might I ask? it's always good to site the source.

the reason I made this topic in the first place is the lack of a definition in the hunting summary book, they have definitions for a firearm and a crossbow, but nothing for a bow.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
ok, so I wonder how that would work......it does shoot arrows, have a handle, two flexible "limbs"(the rubber bands) and it does have a string that is held back by hand or a hand held release rather than mechanical means like a crossbow(the nock string in the pouch) and it does have the required draw weight for any animal in Nova Scotia(50lb minimum for moose, the accessory heavy duty bands are rated at 52-55lbs). so it does fit the criteria loosely, but I wonder how a DNR warden would interpret that definition.

you also didn't answer my question, you only put up a definition.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Mother always told me if I didn't have something good to say than don't say anything. I'm looking at the dark side of this WEAPON. For my liking it's too easily concealed, I see lots of potential problems with this, Subject closed for me.

<_< c ya

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mother always told me if I didn't have something good to say than don't say anything. I'm looking at the dark side of this WEAPON. For my liking it's too easily concealed, I see lots of potential problems with this, Subject closed for me.

<_< c ya
what? there's nothing stopping me from making one and using it. there's nothing in the books making it illegal to make, possess or use such a device, I'm just stuck wondering if I am allowed to use it for hunting. the reason it interests me is compactness and ease in use, not the potential illegal uses for it.....

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
what? there's nothing stopping me from making one and using it. there's nothing in the books making it illegal to make, possess or use such a device, I'm just stuck wondering if I am allowed to use it for hunting. the reason it interests me is compactness and ease in use, not the potential illegal uses for it.....
Call DNR or the CFO to get the answer. Best to talk with the authorities rather then someone on the internet when I comes to legalities

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Call DNR or the CFO to get the answer. Best to talk with the authorities rather then someone on the internet when I comes to legalities
thanks, might be a good idea lol

their opinion matters but it's the judge's that counts LOL
not interested in going to court and have to pay for a lawyer to defend me over something like this.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.