Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site, and I'm in NB but I know this is an issue in NS as well. I wrote and sent this letter to my, and every other MLA in NB. Feel free to use it as a template. Herbicide spraying isn't sustainbable or ethical use of our land. As Canadians and outdoorsmen we should all be fighting to stop this attack on our land.

Dear Legislative Representatives,

As you have been elected to public office in [NB] you now represent the voice of the people in the [NB] legislature.

I'm sure you've heard about this issue, and we probably agree on a lot of points I'll bring up here. First I'd like to say that I am not trying to rid [NB] of JDI, but I believe the people, and land of this province need protections against some of the forestry practices of this corporation; specifically, we need to stop the spraying of herbicides, like RoundUp and Vision.

The same conversation was had with Agent Orange spraying in the sixties and we are still living the consequences of that disaster. Sustainable forestry practices are what citizens are asking for. Public (Crown) Land is for everyone, and subsidizing a billion dollar company to poison us, our environment, our animals, and our future while it profits using our resources is not sustainable, nor is it ethical.

The burden of proof should not on the people of Canada to prove that glyphosate and dispersant spraying is harmful, it is on the people using them to prove that they are absolutely not harmful. However, asking them to do the research creates a conflict of interest. There is science to show herbicide spraying compounds damage over years and affects more than just the broad leaf plant growth. We need people in government willing to be non-partisan, and work without corporate influence to study these dangerous chemicals and the effects they can have.

In a province with dwindling wildlife, crashing wild fish stocks, high rates of cancer, low job creation and high unemployment we can't take any more risks for short term gain. Stopping herbicide spraying now could save our future wildlife by allowing them places to live and feed, our fish to swim in rivers and streams that haven't been inadvertently poisoned by run-off, our people will have clean drinking water and non-toxic forests in which to roam, it will create jobs for foresters to selectively cut around the planted spruce allowing harvest of more hardwoods and allowing more families to support themselves - all this and JDI will still be here. Sustainable forestry is achievable, and profitable long term.

Regards,

[Name]

·
Registered
45 Posts
In Nova Scotia, forestry only sprays 4% of the surface area . Farmers spray it on all corn,bean , alfalfa, clover ,timothy fields evry year , not every 35-40 years like forestry. We all know how hard it is to find deer and animals around farm land :rolleyes: . Also in Nova Scotia , crown land is never to be sprayed , its been shut down for 4 years now .

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
The diference is, there's no food for the deer after the forest has been sprayed. Farms still have alternative food after spraying. I dont support any heavy chemical applications....farm or forest for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are they spraying RoundUp and Vision on crops in NS?

Deer aren't eating spruce trees and Greenland isn't catching all the salmon There's a number of factors hurting the deer numbers, and we can't control the weather and we need to get control of poison sprays - farm and forest.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
A little bird told me Nova Scotia power is in process of trying to get approval to spray power lines as I type this.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Best of my knowledge NSP has sprayed power lines in past years. Lots of spraying has occurred in NS, for many years. Perhaps not crown land, but in many other private/forestry owned areas.

As far as NB goes, their Chief Medical Officer was just fired. Appears she challenged the Irving empire and some of their practices, including the use of glyphosate, a herbicide. The Gallant government, in all appearances rolled over to the Irvings...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Nova Scotia Power has been herbiciding power lines for decades! You need to find a new little bird to get your inside stories from.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Whaaaat ? thats it....I'm not using any more electricity....

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Actually I don't think they can ban it . There was a court case about 1983 were it was all thrashes out in court. The stop the spray court case was thrown out.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If people really have a problem with herbicides, why aren't they screaming at farmers that apply it to practically every acre and every food crop we put in our mouth. So easy to hate forestry for applying it to trees, but fine and dandy for farmers to put it on everything we eat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well I don't know any farmers these days and I probably wouldn't scream at them, but I'm certainly not fine and dandy with the practice. Sustainable agriculture and forestry isn't going to be achieved poisoning the earth and soil we depend on.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Every year for the last ,10 years there have been open farm days. Through out the province farms open there doors to the public to promote agr business and local food source's.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Just another reason to have the forest access stamp and course... Your not going in there with out paper work.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Did you know that if some thing happens to the Amherst Marsh road coming into ns store shelves will be empty in two weeks. If the public find out about it . panic buying will empty the shelves in one day.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
pulp companies still spray vision on all their lands which are usually close to crown lands, hard to help the herd when areas they travel are still being sprayed.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I wonder how much antifreeze is dumped into the streams from autos on the highway?
Has any one read the msd sheet?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts