Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
To change things to a more positive note here , Some Good News on licencing for 16-17 year old Anglers and possible Hunters , just took my Daughter to get her Fresh Water fishing license, LIC fee -FREE, part if the New changes for 2018 to get youth more openly active in the Sport, Was also told that it's Not 100% right now I guess announcement to be made in the fall for Small game may also be free . Possible rate reduction for Deer as well for this age catagory, reguardless I'm Certainly Happy this is a step forward to get our youth more interested @ a time in thier lives when it's not cool to hang out Fishing or hunting with parent or guardian. Plus gives added incentive to more to get out and get back to a simplier way and create memories for years to come. Hopefully this starts to bring a whole new generation back to Hunting and fishing in a positive way. I for One see this as step in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Good news , that's certainly a move in the right direction for the future of our sport .

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
NOT COOL TO HANG OUT AND FISH/ HUNT WITH A PARENT !!!!
In my experience once you take a youth out to hunt or fish they can't wait to get back out again, most just need the introduction and a bit of guidance. There's tons of youth out there that would like to but just don't have anyone to take them.

But yea a positive step for sure.

·
Administrator
10,106 Posts
That's great news Ty !!

I try to help out anyone putting the younger folks into the outdoor sports...shooting..hunting..fishing...doesn't matter which one, because they ARE the future of ANY of these sports !!!

This is just one of the Great things that The Big Game Society of NS does....Every year, they put several kids thru the Hunters Ed courses and pay for it all. A mentorship program ! Kids who don't have any one to help guide them or see them thru this. I believe I heard they did 6 last year ! Fill out a form and send it in.

Forms are available...annnd, you can check out TBGSofNS ..they're on FB now (( who isn't...lol)

·
Administrator
10,106 Posts
I have to disagree with you DDD...My kids loved to hang out with me when I took em fishing and hunting ! So did the neighbours kids and their friends...lol

Does me good to see them now driving past, many years later, some with kids of their own...towing their boats heading for the lakes,,,puts a humbling grin on my chops -_-

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I have to disagree with you DDD...My kids loved to hang out with me when I took em fishing and hunting ! So did the neighbours kids and their friends...lol
Does me good to see them now driving past, many years later, some with kids of their own...towing their boats heading for the lakes,,,puts a humbling grin on my chops -_-
I think he meant from my original post , Was referring to some youth today , Just don't want to be around parents or guardians due to Peer Pressure of it not being cool , Yes there's lots that would go if they had a mentor , Ive done that with shooting range in cadets , Mentor , plus I'm always showing pics to get them interested , Last year we gathered up bunch ole fishing gear with 14 cadets went on free fish weekend , outta 14 we had 9 that got hunters safety and have been out several times already on thier own fishing this year . Only takes a little to go a long way .

That smile you get when you can pass a positive thing as these outdoor sports we do to see them doing it on thier own cause someone took the time to show them there's something better to do than run the streets, that's a great program as well Kevin , keep up great work !

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Like ty said I was referring to his post lol. My kids hung out with me their entire lives and their friends thought it was great.Not just hunting and fishing.

All the kids love you cause your just a big softy!

·
Administrator
10,106 Posts
DDD :wub: :wub:

·
Administrator
10,106 Posts
The Big Hunters Ed course that HWWA puts on is the very best !! 1 full day of hands on...duck blinds with clay throwers, goose decoy spread with clay throwers, tree stand safety seminar, crossbow station, Long bow, rifle Range time with 22, 17HMR, 223 Varmint rig, Slickies 44mag S/S rifle....it's awesome !!..day 2 consists compass work, blood trailing, classroom stuff then the exam.

You want to see faces light up when some of the first time shooters put a shot or two through a milk jug top @ 100 yds with the 223 and a 32 power scope, or hit inside a 3" shootnsee target @ 50 yds using open sights with Tim's 44 mag ...pretty KOOL !!

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
The Big Hunters Ed course that HWWA puts on is the very best !! 1 full day of hands on...duck blinds with clay throwers, goose decoy spread with clay throwers, tree stand safety seminar, crossbow station, Long bow, rifle Range time with 22, 17HMR, 223 Varmint rig, Slickies 44mag S/S rifle....it's awesome !!..day 2 consists compass work, blood trailing, classroom stuff then the exam.

You want to see faces light up when some of the first time shooters put a shot or two through a milk jug top @ 100 yds with the 223 and a 32 power scope, or hit inside a 3" shootnsee target @ 50 yds using open sights with Tim's 44 mag ...pretty KOOL !!
Sounds like the kids shoot better than Tim !

·
Administrator
10,106 Posts
The rabbits tell me that the safest place they can be during hunting season, is in Tim's sights :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I'm in California and them was cheap shots, isn't it enough that I'm trying to figure out how the supposed lead ban affects hunters here (not at all unless hunting state lands)
At least I can give DDD some pointers on hitting the deer at 30yards as I took mine at 75
The bunnies know it's safer around me than running around the woods with the hounds after them, they just run in to me because they know they don't have a chance once the hounds get going, committing suicide instead of the hounds

·
Administrator
10,106 Posts
Fella likely won't even recognise ya Tim...You gonna be showin off that CaliforNiA tan...and probably some botox when you get back..

:p :p :p...Have a safe one bud !

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
I'm in California and them was cheap shots, isn't it enough that I'm trying to figure out how the supposed lead ban affects hunters here (not at all unless hunting state lands)
At least I can give DDD some pointers on hitting the deer at 30yards as I took mine at 75
The bunnies know it's safer around me than running around the woods with the hounds after them, they just run in to me because they know they don't have a chance once the hounds get going, committing suicide instead of the hounds
Now Tim just relax enjoy your vacation. Soon be time for us to get out fishing so rest up in case ya gotta carry me out !

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
DDD I'm going to try to get out when I get home if I don't freeze once I get home. Temperature here is terrific, 65 at 8am going to 80-85 mid afternoon, almost too warm to walk around to see the sights and the neighborhood gun shop

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
DDD I'm going to try to get out when I get home if I don't freeze once I get home. Temperature here is terrific, 65 at 8am going to 80-85 mid afternoon, almost too warm to walk around to see the sights and the neighborhood gun shop
Actually been high teens here last few days- 80+ is too hot,drink lots of rum,rye,beer,etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts