Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I can get a lighter spring for the recoil in my Ruger? I shoot subsonics through it, and it's too tight to eject the shells. I took it apart and cleaned it, and will try again this weekend, but does such a thing exist, and where would a guy get it?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
You can probably cut a couple coils off a spring and make one and try it . still may not work as the sub sonic round may not have enough blow back to over come the weight of the bolt . even it does work you would need to change out the spring as soon as you started using standard velocity ammo again . to avoid damage to the receiver .

·
Registered
736 Posts
It's common that semis are set up to cycle with standard velocity or higher. I think CCI made a different subsonic - not Quiet-22 - which will cycle for many semis. Like Rembolt says, changing the spring means you ONLY shoot subsonic while using the weaker spring.

·
Registered
736 Posts
CCI Subsonic HP shoot at 1050 FPS, and according to reviews on Cabelas, these cycle well. Quiet-22 is far slower - I think 710 FPS, so it will be even more quiet, but getting it below the shock wave of the sound barrier (1100 FPS at sea level) is a big difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts