Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Looking woodcock guide service and Lodging

Tags
woodcock
2K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Rembolt 
#1 ·
Hello,
Appreciate any recommendations for woodcock hunt including guide and lodge services. Thank you!

#2 ·
Reading about woodcooks I was out the other day and seen a woodcock (snipe ) on the road. A huge one, close to a foot tall and it had a young one in tow. Thought it was very early for a young but don't know much about them.

#8 ·
Asked a few guys I know with Britts like mine that hunt them and other upland birds and they could not think of anyone still in Nova Scotia but shared this link in Quebec and say they have been there . tons of birds and would recommend
Sorry I could not be of more help
Cheers

#9 ·
Yes I did guide for Woodcock, Grouse and Pheasant especially with Perry Munro of Mountain Maple. If someone really wants top Woodcock hunting New Brunswick is it. A few articles have been written on NB as being one of the top destinations for Woodcock and grouse. I have not kept up with who is doing Upland Guiding but Perry may have a couple of good contacts. He can be reached through Mountain Maple Lodge and on Facebook. Scott Martin comes to mind he has Griffons I believe and is also on Facebook, the Brydons of First 2 Flight game birds could be a good source for info. Robert himself has a Short Hair I believe. You could try posting a request on Bluenose Chapter of NAVHDA for more names and NB has a chapter as well. There was an outfitter down Yarmouth way but I don't recall his name he ran English Setters and like me specialized in Upland. I am now 74 and am more interested in getting youth into hunting through special upland hunts with the Hants West Wildlife Association. It seems that big game outfitting has taken center stage, at one time you could have made a request of guides through both NS Natural Resources and Tourism one more avenue the Professional Guides Association of Nova Scotia may have a list for you. They have both a web site and a facebook page. Hope this helps some.
MOB ( Mike O'Brien )

#20 ·
Yes I did guide for Woodcock, Grouse and Pheasant especially with Perry Munro of Mountain Maple. If someone really wants top Woodcock hunting New Brunswick is it. A few articles have been written on NB as being one of the top destinations for Woodcock and grouse. I have not kept up with who is doing Upland Guiding but Perry may have a couple of good contacts. He can be reached through Mountain Maple Lodge and on Facebook. Scott Martin comes to mind he has Griffons I believe and is also on Facebook, the Brydons of First 2 Flight game birds could be a good source for info. Robert himself has a Short Hair I believe. You could try posting a request on Bluenose Chapter of NAVHDA for more names and NB has a chapter as well. There was an outfitter down Yarmouth way but I don't recall his name he ran English Setters and like me specialized in Upland. I am now 74 and am more interested in getting youth into hunting through special upland hunts with the Hants West Wildlife Association. It seems that big game outfitting has taken center stage, at one time you could have made a request of guides through both NS Natural Resources and Tourism one more avenue the Professional Guides Association of Nova Scotia may have a list for you. They have both a web site and a facebook page. Hope this helps some.
MOB ( Mike O'Brien )

#11 ·
The Nova Scotia Guides Association on their website has a list of Registered Guides this should be a good
starting point. The NSGA has been around since 1909 has an excellent track record, is responsible for doing quality Guide Training Courses including a Jr Guide Course and camp. Try their list of guides at least it should give you a few contacts.

#14 ·
I taxidermied a snipe as my first bird. Yes it was about the size of a robin.
Google says a wilsons snipe is a shore bird. No shore line where I seen this one.
Easily as big a s a partridge. Seen a few on my property in early spring over the years .

#16 ·
American woodcock (Scolopax minor) weighs 140-230 g
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_woodcock

Wilson's snipe (Gallinago delicata) weighs 79–147 g
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson's_snipe

Lesser yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes) weighs 67–94 g
I think often mistaken for Wilson's snipe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_yellowlegs

"six species of rails that inhabit North America—the clapper, king, Virginia, yellow, black, and sora."
Rail Birds of the Marshes | Chesapeake Bay Magazine

#23 ·
Mountain Maple is Perry Munroe lives in Black River Kings County, has an English Springer Spaniel, is a Canada Select Guide and NS Master Guide. A search on facebook alone should be able to find him, as someone said Garnet will be an excellent choice. I believe Scott Martin is available, he is also on facebook. All anyone has to do is put on a search for NS Guides and Outfitters, and you will come up with some search options.

#24 ·
It appears that a number of guides are now more interested on the big game and waterfowl side of things. Martin Scott does Upland how much I am not sure. Others that did are more into the Fishing side now. Even one of the Pheasant Preserves as far as upland goes you need to provide your own dog. NS hunting landscape is in some ways disappearing, gone are the days when a person had a choice of at least a half dozen different bird dog breeding kennels to choose from. This may seem like an odd statement but no choice of gun dog breeds why even look at guiding for upland birds. I guess some like me are just slowly fading away and at least I can encourage some to try upland through the HWWA youth and Newbie hunting programs for I doubt that I will Upland Guide any more, but one should never say never.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.