Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little late posting this but the opener of duck season almost turned into disaster for one of the members of east coast coalition.

We got drawn for Belleisle Marsh and went down for the opener. We planned on staying for the three days but I got a call after the morning shoot from the wife asking if I could come home as she had just got back from the doctor and our 15 month old daughter had an ear infection, croup and a cold and mamma needed some help. We agreed to make our way home after the evening shoot because we didn't want to interfere with all the other hunters in the marsh while removing our gear. DNR locked the gates this year so removing our stuff would have required multiple trips and would have impacted others hunts.

When we got back to our truck our group changed, discussed the game plan for the night then hit the road back to our accommodations. After leaving Belleisle we stopped in Lequille Country Store. One buddy heads in the store while me and the driver find parking. We park and get out and the driver says you coming? I reply nope someone has to stay with the truck our shotguns are in the bed. Driver says just throw them in the cab for now and I will lock up. I oblige and move 2 shotguns to the cab.....look for the third..... "Driver where is your gun?" I ask. He replies in the bed....."thats a negative" I reply. We take 15 seconds and tear the truck apart and his gun is not there.

Driver and I hop in the truck and leave our buddy at Lequille and head back to Belleisle. On the way back the driver is sweating bullets and racking his brain as to what happened. Come to realize he leaned the gun against the side of the truck got changed and must have left it leaning there. He got distracted by our discussions and we drove off - with the gun still leaning against the truck. So there is a semi-auto in a gun case (locked) laying in the parking lot of Belleisle. It has been about 45 min since we originally left.

When we pull into the parking lot we are not hoping for much....but low and behold there is the gun case - someone had found it and propped it up. From the way it was propped up it was obvious someone had found it.

Whoever found it our group owes you a huge Thank-you !!

The driver is an experienced hunter and is embarrassed by this. He normally throws the gun in the truck right away but one second of distraction and a slight change of habit caused this. We wanted to share this as a cautionary tale to everyone and highlight the importance of creating good habits and not to deviate from them; and if whoever found the gun is on this forum then thank-you very much!

·
Super Moderator
9,769 Posts
pheeeeeeeewwwwwwwww
blink.png
blink.png
blink.png

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Great to hear someone found it and didn’t keep it!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Nice to see there's still honest people out there and it turned out good in the end , just goes show how easy to loose something on any hunting trip , some guys would pocket that find to fund a new toy , and the one who propped it up kudos for thier honesty !

·
Registered
137 Posts
A worse case scenario would have been if it had been taken to an RCMP or Lands and Forestry depot. A full investigation would have been started and no doubt the media would have had a great day over this. Everyone involved was lucky indeed, glad it worked out in your favour.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
A worse case scenario would have been if it had been taken to an RCMP or Lands and Forestry depot. A full investigation would have been started and no doubt the media would have had a great day over this. Everyone involved was lucky indeed, glad it worked out in your favour.
So Tru , police and media would use this as example of how criminals get guns , due to just a unfortunate mistake

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what model was it?? Browning, remington ,etc etc
going to keep that one tight to the chest. I have a bit of a thank-you gift if we ever find the individual and we would like to use the model of gun, and a couple other things to verify

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
going to keep that one tight to the chest. I have a bit of a thank-you gift if we ever find the individual and we would like to use the model of gun, and a couple other things to verify
Exactly , some info is not needed to be released if indeed wanting to thank the Tru finder to say thank you for a honest deed . What you shared was enough already .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts