Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Anyone have any experience using the Lyman EZEE Prime hand priming tool?

I am thinking of getting a hand priming tool to speed up the process, as compared to the press mounted one-at-a-time ram prime. The ram prime works great, and you can get a good feel of the primer seating. But it is pretty slow, and I'm handling every primer to load it into the ram (I could wear gloves). Looking at the Lyman, LEE, Hornady and RCBS hand priming units the Lyman looked like the best of the bunch. They are all metal body and use standard shell holders, same as the press. They are in between the LEE and other brands in price.

Online reviews run the whole spectrum of opinions, as it seems to for them all. Any site member feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

·
Administrator
10,865 Posts
I also prime by hand. Got the LEE hand primer back when Phinneys was in business...that wasn't yesterday...lol

You have NO "feel" to it when you do it off a ram. I can tell in an instant if the primer pocket is getting enlarged....makes it much easier to discard possible future problems .

I had to modify mine to accept the WSM shell holders when they first appeared on the scene.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback fellas. From what I've read the original LEE auto prime model (with the round tray) is supposed to work the best of the LEE models. But I'd have to pick one of those up used as they are no longer made. I see the reviews for the new LEE hand primer model with the triangular tray is getting good reviews. But they require separate shell holders & it looks like the unit is mostly plastic.

Think I'll try the Lyman EZEE Prime a try. I like that it is mostly metal, and uses standard shell holders. I was playing with one at Cabelas in Moncton and it felt sturdy and well made, I should have bought it at the time.

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be picking your collective brains again and I appreciate the assistance.

·
Administrator
10,865 Posts
I bought the almost complete LEE shell holder kit for my hand primer from some old guy at the Cross Roads flea market in Calgary...a looooong time ago. I added the couple that were missing....think I only ever used 4 of them...lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.