Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

· So much anger towards everything... :-(
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I have seen some strange made up laws that keep coming up over and over in the NS hunting community. Below are a couple, do you have any more?

- If you post your land as "no hunting" you can't hunt it yourself.

(A variation of this law exists in NB, it does not in NS. It has never existed in NS.)

- Baiting deer is illegal.
(It is not, nor has it ever been illegal to bait deer in NS.)

I'd love to hear some more laws that people believe no matter the proof to the contrary. I am forgetting some I am sure.

P.S. This isn't meant to be a debate, if I'm wrong, prove it with a link to the law, don't tell me that your great uncle's friend told you so it must be true. ;-)

Here is the wildlife act if anyone wants to prove me wrong. All other acts are online as well if you want to look in them.
http://nslegislature.ca/legc/statutes/wildlife.pdf

· Registered
3,995 Posts
baiting deer may not be illegal....but is it legal to dump apples on crown or private land without express permission?

· Registered
2,127 Posts
o for sure...u and most everyone else for sure.....just wondering if its technically legal?
Relocating a bio degradable food source on land that is meant for the enjoyment of the provinces inhabitants, could be a lot worse nobody cares there are bigger problems in this world.

· Registered
3,995 Posts
dont really disagree with above statement....other than I do believe some people do care...and are starting to grumble about it...I just wanted to know if it was legal or not.....not really debate it. The thread was about things we always thought were legal/illegal. Thats one I was never sure of.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Not 100% sure- but I really think it would fall under illegal dumping if ever pushed by owner or province,It is illegal to dump ANYTHING on someone else's property without their permission,crown land as well.
Bio degradable or not,makes no difference.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Sorry joyriders for the hi-jack.
I like your topic lol
Can't think of any others but what about un-true hunting related myths?

· Registered
2,487 Posts
I would like to play along with this one .no law saying you can't post your own land then hunt it .however the act does say you can not own or operate a hunting preserve without a permitt or licences .by posting the land no hunting is that not what you have created for your self . Now the key in this to me would be weather or not the sign says NO HUNTING OR NO HUNTING with out Permission .so has any one ever asked DNR and gotten an answer .

· Registered
5,318 Posts
Not 100% sure- but I really think it would fall under illegal dumping if ever pushed by owner or province,It is illegal to dump ANYTHING on someone else's property without their permission,crown land as well.
Bio degradable or not,makes no difference.
Actually 3D, many have been fined for taking there unwanted leaves from their property and dump on crown or private. Apples, bait I guess could be considered the same.

· Registered
786 Posts
A friend of mine did his firearms crse this past weekend and he said they were told that ALL centerfire weapons were not allowed to have more than 5 rounds in them regardless of what then actually could hold. I told him a semi automatic was restricted to 5rds, but you can still put 7 in your 30-30 and 10 in your Lee-Enfield and be legal. Is there a new law out that I don't know about?

· Registered
18,483 Posts
A friend of mine did his firearms crse this past weekend and he said they were told that ALL centerfire weapons were not allowed to have more than 5 rounds in them regardless of what then actually could hold. I told him a semi automatic was restricted to 5rds, but you can still put 7 in your 30-30 and 10 in your Lee-Enfield and be legal. Is there a new law out that I don't know about?
For how long is the question. Not my words but from a nutz member .My guess it is caught up in this BS

In my travels yesterday the staff at two different LGSs in Edmonton told me that their "contacts" had advised of new legislation pending this year concerning magazine limits. Apparently part and parcel of implementing the Liberal Party Firearms Platform this year will be to craft legislation that closes all of the loopholes associated with the use of compatible magazines in firearms for which they were not specifically intended. In other words, no more "pistol" magazines will be permitted in long-guns and no .40 cal pistol mags may be used in a 9mm version of the same handgun in order to achieve a capacity exceeding 10 rounds.

I was also told that part and parcel of the new legislation will be a ban on the future importation of pinned, "standard capacity' magazines. So, no more 5/30 round mags with a simple Rivet. All long-gun mags will have to be manufactured to hold only 5 rounds, with no simple means of un--pinning. What this will mean for the size of mag bodies in rifles with deep magazine wells is not clear, so there is little point in "what iffing" things at this stage. I was strongly advised to stock up on pinned "standard-capacity" magazines before the end of the year and before prices spike following the tabling of legislation. I'm personally fine for mags, although I don't look forward to pinning all of my rifle-calibre "pistol magazines" to 5 rounds. Shades of the early 1990s and having to pin all of the mags for my soon to be prohibited long-guns. This, of course, assumes that the government/RCMP will actually allow us to rivet our 10-round "pistol magazines" to the legal 5-round limit, rather than insisting that they be destroyed outright....

Has anyone else been privy to similar discussions? I have no reason at all to doubt what I was told, and every reason to believe the sources, who after all, work in the industry. I'm not trying to fear-monger here, just passing on what I was told by two independent sources on the same day. A bit of crappy news to brighten an otherwise splendid Friday the 13th. You can take it or leave it - no skin off my nose either way.,

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Actually 3D, many have been fined for taking there unwanted leaves from their property and dump on crown or private. Apples, bait I guess could be considered the same.
Yes - many people dump leaves,brush etc etc why I said anything lol.Those that get caught pay a fine.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Relocating a bio degradable food source on land that is meant for the enjoyment of the provinces inhabitants, could be a lot worse nobody cares there are bigger problems in this world.
It is illegal to feed deer in NS.
MUCH BIGGER PROBLEMS for sure !

1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is illegal to feed deer in NS.
MUCH BIGGER PROBLEMS for sure !
No it isn't. Made up law.

It is within the town of Truro, but not in the rest of NS. So unless you are hunting inside of Truro town limits it is not illegal to feed deer.

As I said in my first post, if you disagree, please prove it. NS laws are all online. I can't prove something doesn't exist, so it's up to you. :)

Rob

· Registered
7,795 Posts
There you go - here I thought it was all of NS.
But pretty sure dumping (anything ) on crown land or land you don't own is not legal,that would include,apples,oranges,carrots,leaves,and TOILET PAPER!!!

1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what about dumping apples on land without permission Joyrider?
What about it? Are you saying it's a made up law? ;-)

Lots of things are technically against a law - but people will never be charged. Ever gone 101 on a highway?

In my mind: Littering - dumping a load of shingles is like driving 200kph. If you get caught is is going to be bad for you.
Putting apples in the woods is like driving 101kph - an officer isn't even going to notice you are there.

As always when dealing with legal opinions - do your own research and don't take my word for it. Maybe you will get a ticket for going 101 on the way home today - not my fault. ;-)

People seem to be all hot and horney to find a way to ban baiting. No one seems to think what that would mean. Hunting is a dying sport in NS - as mentioned many times in recent threads, we make up a small % of the population and people who are against hunting are REALLY against it. We need more people to hunt to keep it alive as a sport.

Thus the new opportunities that have opened up, cross bows, muzzleloaders, two deer tags, etc etc. The whole point is to get more people into hunting that wouldn't normally be into hunting.

People keep saying some variation of "If people couldn't bait they wouldn't be able to get a deer!" That's right for some people. Absolutely! Then what would happen? A sharp drop in hunters. Way fewer new hunters. Smaller voice for hunter since the numbers would be way down. More restrictive rules would comer in because why wouldn't politiciens do that when hunters make up such a fringe % of the population.

Everyone who is against baiting as a hunting method SHOULD be sucking it up and be supporting baiting because it brings lot of people into the woods to hunt would would not be there otherwise.

Other than the safety changes brought in a few decades ago, I can't think of anything that is better for hunting as a sport (in NS) than deer baiting. Don't cut off your noses to spite your faces - baiting is GREAT for our sport - ever if you don't bait yourself. You have to think of the whole picture, not personal disdain against a certain way of harvesting an animal.

Sorry Bea, I kind of went off on a tangent there - all of that baiting stuff wasn't directed at you (unless you are against baiting!). :) I just got going when thinking about baiting.

Rob

· Registered
3,995 Posts
no biggie...thats why I come here little....its all good until ask a legit question that folks dont like........it was just a question...but if you dare challenge the norm in NS, ya gotta be ready to take the heat. Welcome to NS !

So I take it you think it is illegal.

I thought that was the point of the thread...what folks think is legal/illegal but ont really know.

Sorry, not to rant at you....I just get riled up that around NS if you even question a hunting matter/method...the daggers come out.

All good tho...nothing here I take personal . And certainly nothing that you said bud !

edit in....I wasnt questioning the ethics of baiting....I was questioning the legality....again....what I thought this thread was intended and started.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.