Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

· Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest nuisance deer hunt in Truro, N.S., saw hundreds of pounds of meat shared with people in need, and offered a learning opportunity for youth in the neighbouring Mi'kmaw community. Truro chief administrative officer Michael Dolter said besides controlling the deer population, one of their main objectives with the hunt is to benefit the community "as much as we can." There were eight sites used for the town's second managed hunt, which brought in nearly double the deer harvested in the first hunt last February, when 14 were caught. Hunters at all sites used crossbows or compound bows. Truro's next hunt is tentatively being planned for October.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Like the part that says 14 deer were CAUGHT lol
Was that catch and release

· Registered
3,789 Posts
I use the term harvested as well. You don’t catch deer…. Unless you are catching them alive. Since it is a CBC article … you kinda have to take that into consideration. Most are anti guns and anti hunters. I’m surprised they even did an article on it. It must have pissed off a few animal lovers.

· Registered
3,043 Posts
hopefully they can keep increasing the numbers culled each year.

wonder what the regs for NOT feeding wildlife will look like - if they actually implement something. See they mention bear as well.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
In order to control the population … this cull will have to happen every year for several years IMO. These deer are born there. They have very little fear of humans. They are not “wild”. As long as there are animal lovers, and snow … the deer will continue to be fed. Not sure how that could be policed ??? Many people feed birds during the winter. Throw some oats and cracked corn on the ground for the birds, and the deer will come.

· Registered
240 Posts
hopefully they can keep increasing the numbers culled each year.

wonder what the regs for NOT feeding wildlife will look like - if they actually implement something. See they mention bear as well.
Could be interesting.Thinking they could change the regulations to no baiting or feeding within a certain distance from dwellings,or ban baiting unless its a registered hunting location?Think of the money to be made if they implemented a fee for each hunter to register his or her apple pile.Hmmmmmmm

· Registered
1,663 Posts
It doesn’t really matter how many they keep getting. It won’t make much of an impact. The issue they need to address is the WHERE of their cull. They aren’t doing it in or even near town where the problems are. They won’t state where it is but have mentioned once that is not close to any built up areas for safety.

I have found out one are from a reliable source for this years, where the millbrook Hunt took place and it is not much closer either.

so much like their previous bow hunt attempts they are just hunting in woodlands on the outskirts of town and not taking out any of the town deer.

I still routinely see 5+ deer walking the lawn and sidewalks here. Nothing has changed.

I also like their “traditional hunting methods” of ground blinds and crossbows and apple piles. But it is good they are making use of everything from the deer. That is the only thing somewhat keeping the mob if Truro tree huggers at bay. Somewhat.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
I use the term harvested as well. You don’t catch deer…. Unless you are catching them alive. Since it is a CBC article … you kinda have to take that into consideration. Most are anti guns and anti hunters. I’m surprised they even did an article on it. It must have pissed off a few animal lovers.
Exactly which is why they suggest these words only are now used

· Registered
3,789 Posts
Whenever I’m in a conversation with an anyone, and they use the word caught … I correct them. Like TG said … you don’t catch deer … you catch fish. I don’t use the term kill or shoot. The snowflakes find it too offensive … so that’s why I say harvested. Don’t want to upset the snowflakes !!

· Registered
3,043 Posts
It doesn’t really matter how many they keep getting. It won’t make much of an impact. The issue they need to address is the WHERE of their cull. They aren’t doing it in or even near town where the problems are. They won’t state where it is but have mentioned once that is not close to any built up areas for safety.

I have found out one are from a reliable source for this years, where the millbrook Hunt took place and it is not much closer either.

so much like their previous bow hunt attempts they are just hunting in woodlands on the outskirts of town and not taking out any of the town deer.

I still routinely see 5+ deer walking the lawn and sidewalks here. Nothing has changed.

I also like their “traditional hunting methods” of ground blinds and crossbows and apple piles. But it is good they are making use of everything from the deer. That is the only thing somewhat keeping the mob if Truro tree huggers at bay. Somewhat.
thinking it would really stir things up if shooting stands were placed right in the town. Tough situation for the ones making the decisions.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
I have never understanded how they set these up
Why not do them like a 50/50 draw and allow any qualified hunters to buy tickets for a tag and donate the money to the food bank or what ever they would sell a ton of tickets many hunters would also donate the meat
All towns are full of deer daughter coming home from the hockey game last night daughter sees three on a lawn just up the road and pulls in the driveway here and four more in the back yard

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Why not do them like a 50/50 draw and allow any qualified hunters to buy tickets for a tag and donate the money to the food bank or what ever they would sell a ton of tickets many hunters would also donate the meat
All towns are full of deer daughter coming home from the hockey game last night daughter sees three on a lawn just up the road and pulls in the driveway here and four more in the back yard
that would have been a more useful way. Instead they used our tax dollars to HIRE “professional crossbow hunters” as they said the first season.

There are plenty of US towns and cities that have done just that, allowed hunts right in the towns to thin the numbers. No I can not give you exact examples but I remember quite well reading many magazine articles on it over the years. If I recall right there was also a good video on YouTube of a guy that dos that and he was mentioning how his favourite method is kids treehouses. Lol.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Is not caught. took, harvested etc the words suggested to be used now vs Kill Wacked smoked etc something called political correctness
Political correctness lol
Look up caught in a dictionary- NOTHING TO DO WITH KILLING.
caught suggests the animal was NOT KILLED

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Yes open to all Nova Scotia hunters whom can pass required testing. To let any single race of peoples to have exclusive rights to hunt , cull or not, is actually a form of racism!

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Be a real good chance to do a supervised handicap / immobility challenged hunt too !!!
That would be more acceptable to me but still not 100% right as ALL CANADIANS SHOULD BE TREATED EQUAL

· Registered
2,973 Posts
They could close Victoria park for "maintenance" to trail system and allow hunters in for the week long period. Hunters would be required to arrive before daylight and stay until dusk, taking as many as they could each day. A central paunching station to be used by all with a atv pickup of downed animals.
Harvested animals removed by enclosed trailer to avoid upsetting anyone.
If it can be done in Ontario, oshawa i think, it can be done here. It was on angler and hunter i think.
It would take some planning but it could be done

1 - 20 of 110 Posts