Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

· Registered
18,887 Posts
From what you are telling us … sounds like the Cape has more anti gun people than the mainland. All of my discussions are with family members and close friends. Maybe people are more respectful in Bridgewater than they are in your town ?? Camo is normal attire for a huge number of people around here. Not once .. never … have I ever seen a confrontation from an anti. I think for the most part, anti’s won’t engage in nonsense concerning guns and hunting. If by chance I was ever in a confrontation with an anti … you‘re damn right I would stand my ground.… but I don’t foresee that ever happening.
It will if you live long enough not many in the next generation support guns and hunting and if you think differently look where we are right now grasping to hold on to a little bit of what we took for granted. Cape has more classy civilized people :p it is not populated any more with huge numbers of fishermen miners steel workers etc
Just have to look at who is buying everything up for the last 25 years and many of that type are tree huggers Good lord one would have to be born in bridgewater to stay and live there:D:D Anti's won't engage good lord man no they just start it

· Registered
3,789 Posts
Maybe so ... but the tradition of hunting is very much alive and well, in my neck of the woods. Kids are on waiting lists to take the Hunters safety course. They are chomping at the bit to become license holders, so they can actually carry a gun when hunting with their parents and grandparents. I think the tradition of hunting is still being passed on from generation to generation, but it's kept more quiet from the ever growing population of snowflakes. I'm sure you have a Stat for this .... I wonder how many deer tags have been issued per year for the last 30 years ??? Has it been a steady decline, incline or stayed about the same ???

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Maybe so ... but the tradition of hunting is very much alive and well, in my neck of the woods. Kids are on waiting lists to take the Hunters safety course. They are chomping at the bit to become license holders, so they can actually carry a gun when hunting with their parents and grandparents. I think the tradition of hunting is still being passed on from generation to generation, but it's kept more quiet from the ever growing population of snowflakes. I'm sure you have a Stat for this .... I wonder how many deer tags have been issued per year for the last 30 years ??? Has it been a steady decline, incline or stayed about the same ???
Must be why we sell less than half of the deer licences now 100,000 in the 80's and who knows if that number today they do show is one guy with two or three licences rifle, muzzy and doe they don't separate any more it seems. See what is being missed here is yes kids some of them are involved but they don't replace even 25% of us old farts that are now to old to hunt or dead.( and that is getting worse and worse every tyear as the baby boomers all come of old age) There would be gun shops all around like years ago if alive and well , the big box stores would have shelves of ammo vs none most don't even sell ammo anymore and the trap and skeet club would not be closed and my bud would be back to selling 100's of deer licences a year like he did for many years in his 48 years of business not nine like this year with two under the age of 60
It is a problem in north americia not just here more dropping off than can be backfilled
And not shocked it is alive in well where you are since as I said not as classy or civilized as the cape :D:D and are they on waiting lists since not as many courses are being offered a year ?? since the demand it not there That I bet is the issue

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Wonder why on waiting lists would never see this when I was involved could always find a course available
As of today
Hunting is rocking and growing in Alberta ( why in my mind because they manage their wildlife and have all kinds of things to hunt and fill their freezers with unlike here )but that is the only place in canada sadly all other locations dropping sadly things have changed and I have no clue what we can do to increase numbers and quickly. Like my bud who moved back says went from eating 95% all wild meat to maybe 3% in NS we cannot even get a spring bear hunt here for F:K sake
let alone turkeys to hunt
Online Registration - Classroom Course Selection: Hunter Education (classroom)
Course dates and locations are determined based on course demand. Please select your course below by clicking on the Course ID. If you do not see a scheduled course at this time, please check back again as future courses are added when instructors and locations are confirmed.
��
Course IDLocationCountyDateTimeDate2Time2Date3Time3Open Seats
Course Schedule
No course offerings available for the selected training type.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
I know the problem around here for courses … is trying to find an instructor. I think if they did more courses, they would be full if there were instructors to do them. The number of hunters has certainly declined from the 80’s, but seems to be holding its’ own the last number of years.… even increasing. I can only find stats for the last 5 years, but has been increasing, except for 2020 … which license numbers drastically dropped, but more deer were taken than in previous years. Can’t explain that one.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
I know the problem around here for courses … is trying to find an instructor. I think if they did more courses, they would be full if there were instructors to do them. The number of hunters has certainly declined from the 80’s, but seems to be holding its’ own the last number of years.… even increasing. I can only find stats for the last 5 years, but has been increasing, except for 2020 … which license numbers drastically dropped, but more deer were taken than in previous years. Can’t explain that one.
I think the numbers now are all screwed up since we have bow, cross bow muzzy and rifle and then doe draws Is one with all tags showing as one licence or three
Can tell you one thing if up around here love to know where they are hunting drive out to the old spots where there would be 15 plus rigs parked years ago and lucky to see one vehicle
Hearing two shots in loch lomand this year opening day for rifle vs 100's when I hunted there is all I need to know it is way down

· Registered
18,887 Posts
I don't know all the details any more but can they not be done on line also so instructors not required
The pre1990 list

· Registered
3,789 Posts
There is one course that can be done online.… but they have to take an “in person” course to get their Wildlife Resource Card. Thats my understanding. My 12 years old grandson did the online course last fall, but still needs to go to a course put on by an instructor. He was scheduled to go next month in Shubey … but found a course much closer in a few weeks. I think covid was the culprit for the lack of courses in the last few years, because prior to covid, there seemed to be courses every other weekend.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
There is one course that can be done online.… but they have to take an “in person” course to get their Wildlife Resource Card. Thats my understanding. My 12 years old grandson did the online course last fall, but still needs to go to a course put on by an instructor. He was scheduled to go next month in Shubey … but found a course much closer in a few weeks. I think covid was the culprit for the lack of courses in the last few years, because prior to covid, there seemed to be courses every other weekend.
Makes perfect sense would love to see dnr do a report on NS hunters based on age I bet we are over 55 average like a lot of places .We were like 45 and that seems like 20 years ago the last time I seen any numbers That would show exactly where we are and take the debate out of it
this is all the internet shows for canada and my old bud DD missed that memo on the 65 I hope he is 100 still hunting :)

Very few are at the young end of the age spectrum (18 – 24 years) but one third of the region's hunters are at least 55 years of age. Their average age is almost 50 years. By way of contrast, Southern Ontario attracts among the youngest hunters in the country, with an average age of about 42 years.
Studies show that on average people quit hunting at age 65.Mar 30, 2021

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Hwwa does at least one cfsc course per month, we have just started doing a mid month Wednesday course and as soon as they are listed usually full within 3 days. We can only do 25 per class due to space at the clubhouse.

The hunters ed course is online and had an in person part but i believe that was dropped during covid. This course is now under review so expect changes in the future. There is talk about "an enhanced" course similar to the Hwwa one but its early so who knows.

Courses are being offered across the province every month, maybe not in your preferred area but they are offered. We have had people travel from cb and yarmouth to take the course in falmouth because courses were not offered there.

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
That would be more acceptable to me but still not 100% right as ALL CANADIANS SHOULD BE TREATED EQUAL
THAT'S the whole point twatapottamus...everyone is NOT all treated equal !!! Been that way since we were clubbing our suppers !
I see it as a great opportunity to help the less fortunate living in wheelchairs..
HOW CAN THEY BE EQUALLY TREATED as yourself ??
They have a mobility handicap ...they can't run, skip, dance, jog, climb trees the same as NON HCAP people can !! They are never treated as equals as / to everyone else. ..annnnnd, MOST places are "off limits" to them already because of their mobility issues.
More places are finally making accessibility a priority. That in itself has taken farrrr too long. You don't think they deserve / should get a bit of a break ??
come on Dan....sheesh !!!

**annnd this coming from a guy who says he drags a guy in a wheelchair thru the woods to hunt deer.....makes me wonder now.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
THAT'S the whole point twatapottamus...everyone is NOT all treated equal !!! Been that way since we were clubbing our suppers !
I see it as a great opportunity to help the less fortunate living in wheelchairs..
They have a mobility handicap ...they can't run, skip, dance, jog, climb trees the same as NON HCAP people can !! They are never treated as equals as / to everyone else. ..annnnnd, MOST places are "off limits" to them already because of their mobility issues.
More places are finally making accessibility a priority. That in itself has taken farrrr too long. You don't think they deserve / should get a bit of a break ??

**annnd this coming from a guy who says he drags a guy in a wheelchair thru the woods to hunt deer.....makes me wonder now.
Excellent post and so true I can only assume what that is never heard that one before but love it :)

· Registered
1,663 Posts
I still
Think you are aging the hunting population way high. Maybe it’s the trend up there but around where I am it seems like the majority are in fact well below 50. Trying to think personally of all the friends and people I know that hunt and easily the majority are the younger generation. 30s-40s. Even watching on fb of the big buck contest entries, mostly younger hunters. My group of waterfowl friends are 4 of us below 40 and 2 over it. One of the guys isn’t even close to 30 yet. We have to ask his mommy to make sure he can come for the day. Lol. Poor guy never gets a break from the ribbing out there.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
I still
Think you are aging the hunting population way high. Maybe it’s the trend up there but around where I am it seems like the majority are in fact well below 50. Trying to think personally of all the friends and people I know that hunt and easily the majority are the younger generation. 30s-40s. Even watching on fb of the big buck contest entries, mostly younger hunters. My group of waterfowl friends are 4 of us below 40 and 2 over it. One of the guys isn’t even close to 30 yet. We have to ask his mommy to make sure he can come for the day. Lol. Poor guy never gets a break from the ribbing out there.
That trend is not just here those few numbers I did find were for canada it said
It is not just me i just know it was 45 in NS but that was many years ago I have no clue for NS in 2023 other than the few numbers out there which are nothing shared for nova scotia in the last 20 years have we seen
One thing I do know 90% here how many reloading ?? and their ages Knew two before the club closed in their 30's all the rest are 55 plus no components to buy here and all it takes is to sell a few and believe me you find out real quick who is still into it from word of mouth
Like I said be nice for DNR to share that information All my waterfowl friends I stay in touch with are 50 plus most over 60 and they know who is shooting all around them
Put is this way not even close the the ages I grew up with as a kid christ we were under 10 reloading our own for targets and dozens of us hunting before 14 and reloading stuff sitting everywhere all around me Right now I know two stashes here both guys are not shooting or hunting and around 63 but won't sell either and one has almost as much stashed as I have my guess about 150 pounds of powder alone
Too bad we could not do even a poll even here Not many young guys I see post only old farts :p and animals like beavers
I also look at all the guns I sold over the last 10 years 100.s and I remember two going to young guys maybe they don't want quality old guns either just know they don't buy them and they were cooeys single shots

· Registered
7,795 Posts

So are you and 3 Mac related??? Seems you both like to resort to name calling.
We DIDNOT DRAG anybody anywhere ; we carried him as comfortably as we possiblly could; and the handicapped individual we took hunting which I referred to two or three yrs in a row was not the first or last that we/ I will take fishing or hunting!
Yes handicapped persons need assistance and all we can give them. Just don’t like seeing any group or groups left out of anything. I believe we ALL should be treated equally.
FYI- I’ve volunteered in numerous handicapped causes. Spent a few yrs with SRCFC helping persons with dyslexia/ dysgraphia/ dyscalculia. Couple yrs volunteering with Alzheimer’s assoc and couple yrs helping young people with Down syndrome and getting them into sports. Unfortunately I’m not sure how safe it would be to take persons with the latter hunting,fishing yes but struggle when it comes to hunting. ONE THING for sure is if I did take a person with Down Syndrome hunting I would NEVER post it HERE!!! Esp with the way so many on here constantly say those with mental disabilities should not be allowed around firearms!
You belong to The Nova Scotia Big Game Society- does your organization take or help handicapped persons hunting?????????
Don’t know of any organization in this province that does, at least I help out somewhat so sling your shit elsewhere!!!

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Always seems to be one guy saying no youth in hunting anymore. I see a lot of guys on here whose children/ grandchildren hunt. Seems to be lots of younger guys in David G’s thread moose hunting. Lots of young people at the shooting ranges etc. Maybe he has gotten older and not getting out anymore and constantly talking to the same people over and over and not meeting new people. He keeps referring to the 2-3 yrs we had 98,0000 license purchased which was out of how many total years. That boom did a number on the deer herd, right after that boom came the buck only law because of the low numbers. Most of those 98,000 got discouraged by the low deer numbers and stopped hunting. Any way if you want the number of hunters to increase get involved

· Registered
7,795 Posts
WRONG your mouth and what she says you said is enough know guys that have been there and had to go to court and how many of these witness will get involved and help you over some old lady One guy I went with him to get his guns back after 2 years they were rolled up in a old blanket and rusted to death and some missing
I say if you like to roll the dice fill your boots but it is dangerous ground you are walking on
Thing called subpoena once served a witness must testify

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Thing called subpoena once served a witness must testify
You have a lot to learn and little time to do it and what do they have to say I SEEN or HEARD NOTHING sorry judge Oh wait I forgot you have Mp's in your pocket:rolleyes:
Always seems to be one guy saying no youth in hunting anymore. I see a lot of guys on here whose children/ grandchildren hunt. Seems to be lots of younger guys in David G’s thread moose hunting. Lots of young people at the shooting ranges etc. Maybe he has gotten older and not getting out anymore and constantly talking to the same people over and over and not meeting new people. He keeps referring to the 2-3 yrs we had 98,0000 license purchased which was out of how many total years. That boom did a number on the deer herd, right after that boom came the buck only law because of the low numbers. Most of those 98,000 got discouraged by the low deer numbers and stopped hunting. Any way if you want the number of hunters to increase get involved
You know what you can do 3D I will pull them down the rest of the way :ROFLMAO: We are only talking no more and I am tired of this BS directed at me and I could not careless what you think is going on get out from under that rock more and see what is really going on with hunting numbers in 2023 and it is all of north americia not just canada or nova scotia didnot think you were another one living in disney land and cannot face reality but it seems you are My days of getting involved are long over but I sure did my part did you and I am not saying no youth hunt I am saying not enough youth getting involved today to back fill the old guys being lost not even close baby boomers alone is 35% of all hunters with the youngest being born in 1964 is now an old man at 59

· Registered
18,887 Posts
So are you and 3 Mac related??? Seems you both like to resort to name calling.
We DIDNOT DRAG anybody anywhere ; we carried him as comfortably as we possiblly could; and the handicapped individual we took hunting which I referred to two or three yrs in a row was not the first or last that we/ I will take fishing or hunting!
Yes handicapped persons need assistance and all we can give them. Just don’t like seeing any group or groups left out of anything. I believe we ALL should be treated equally.
FYI- I’ve volunteered in numerous handicapped causes. Spent a few yrs with SRCFC helping persons with dyslexia/ dysgraphia/ dyscalculia. Couple yrs volunteering with Alzheimer’s assoc and couple yrs helping young people with Down syndrome and getting them into sports. Unfortunately I’m not sure how safe it would be to take persons with the latter hunting,fishing yes but struggle when it comes to hunting. ONE THING for sure is if I did take a person with Down Syndrome hunting I would NEVER post it HERE!!! Esp with the way so many on here constantly say those with mental disabilities should not be allowed around firearms!
You belong to The Nova Scotia Big Game Society- does your organization take or help handicapped persons hunting?????????
Don’t know of any organization in this province that does, at least I help out somewhat so sling your shit elsewhere!!!
Oh so attack kevin now also glad to see I am not special and yes Kevin and I are brothers from a different mother :) Stop drinking or what ever you are on tonight before things are said that cannot be taken back you old fool have to run to make some popcorn cannot wait for Kevin's response

· Registered
240 Posts
Oh so attack kevin now also glad to see I am not special and yes Kevin and I are brothers from a different mother :) Stop drinking or what ever you are on tonight before things are said that cannot be taken back you old fool have to run to make some popcorn cannot wait for Kevin's response
Sometimes the ignore or block button does wonders to block out the endless chatter and nonsense from the inexperienced know it alls just looking to be heard.I find it allows me to better focus on the genuine threads and replies.Makes for a much better online experience i find.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts