Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Mi'kmaw youth learn traditional hunting skills through deer hunt in Nova Scotia

4K views 109 replies 11 participants last post by  3macs1 
#1 ·
The latest nuisance deer hunt in Truro, N.S., saw hundreds of pounds of meat shared with people in need, and offered a learning opportunity for youth in the neighbouring Mi'kmaw community. Truro chief administrative officer Michael Dolter said besides controlling the deer population, one of their main objectives with the hunt is to benefit the community "as much as we can." There were eight sites used for the town's second managed hunt, which brought in nearly double the deer harvested in the first hunt last February, when 14 were caught. Hunters at all sites used crossbows or compound bows. Truro's next hunt is tentatively being planned for October.

#5 · (Edited)
I use the term harvested as well. You don’t catch deer…. Unless you are catching them alive. Since it is a CBC article … you kinda have to take that into consideration. Most are anti guns and anti hunters. I’m surprised they even did an article on it. It must have pissed off a few animal lovers.

#11 ·
I use the term harvested as well. You don’t catch deer…. Unless you are catching them alive. Since it is a CBC article … you kinda have to take that into consideration. Most are anti guns and anti hunters. I’m surprised they even did an article on it. It must have pissed off a few animal lovers.
Exactly which is why they suggest these words only are now used

#8 ·
Could be interesting.Thinking they could change the regulations to no baiting or feeding within a certain distance from dwellings,or ban baiting unless its a registered hunting location?Think of the money to be made if they implemented a fee for each hunter to register his or her apple pile.Hmmmmmmm

#7 ·
In order to control the population … this cull will have to happen every year for several years IMO. These deer are born there. They have very little fear of humans. They are not “wild”. As long as there are animal lovers, and snow … the deer will continue to be fed. Not sure how that could be policed ??? Many people feed birds during the winter. Throw some oats and cracked corn on the ground for the birds, and the deer will come.

#9 ·
It doesn’t really matter how many they keep getting. It won’t make much of an impact. The issue they need to address is the WHERE of their cull. They aren’t doing it in or even near town where the problems are. They won’t state where it is but have mentioned once that is not close to any built up areas for safety.

I have found out one are from a reliable source for this years, where the millbrook Hunt took place and it is not much closer either.

so much like their previous bow hunt attempts they are just hunting in woodlands on the outskirts of town and not taking out any of the town deer.

I still routinely see 5+ deer walking the lawn and sidewalks here. Nothing has changed.

I also like their “traditional hunting methods” of ground blinds and crossbows and apple piles. But it is good they are making use of everything from the deer. That is the only thing somewhat keeping the mob if Truro tree huggers at bay. Somewhat.

#12 ·
Whenever I’m in a conversation with an anyone, and they use the word caught … I correct them. Like TG said … you don’t catch deer … you catch fish. I don’t use the term kill or shoot. The snowflakes find it too offensive … so that’s why I say harvested. Don’t want to upset the snowflakes !!

#14 ·
I have never understanded how they set these up
Why not do them like a 50/50 draw and allow any qualified hunters to buy tickets for a tag and donate the money to the food bank or what ever they would sell a ton of tickets many hunters would also donate the meat
All towns are full of deer daughter coming home from the hockey game last night daughter sees three on a lawn just up the road and pulls in the driveway here and four more in the back yard

#15 ·
I have never understanded how they set these up
Why not do them like a 50/50 draw and allow any qualified hunters to buy tickets for a tag and donate the money to the food bank or what ever they would sell a ton of tickets many hunters would also donate the meat
All towns are full of deer daughter coming home from the hockey game last night daughter sees three on a lawn just up the road and pulls in the driveway here and four more in the back yard
that would have been a more useful way. Instead they used our tax dollars to HIRE “professional crossbow hunters” as they said the first season.

There are plenty of US towns and cities that have done just that, allowed hunts right in the towns to thin the numbers. No I can not give you exact examples but I remember quite well reading many magazine articles on it over the years. If I recall right there was also a good video on YouTube of a guy that dos that and he was mentioning how his favourite method is kids treehouses. Lol.

#20 ·
They could close Victoria park for "maintenance" to trail system and allow hunters in for the week long period. Hunters would be required to arrive before daylight and stay until dusk, taking as many as they could each day. A central paunching station to be used by all with a atv pickup of downed animals.
Harvested animals removed by enclosed trailer to avoid upsetting anyone.
If it can be done in Ontario, oshawa i think, it can be done here. It was on angler and hunter i think.
It would take some planning but it could be done

#33 ·
I’ve never changed my
Ways for the politically correct public viewing. And most my huntin friends are same way. I don’t know who you are referring to. I will wear my hunting gear in to shop on way to or back with no hesitation. I drag my deer off truck onto sidewalk and up the driveway no problem. Blood streak and all.

I cut my deer on table on lawn when it’s cold outside.

With my garage down I was going to build a meat pole for hanging in back lawn but the cost of lumber is crazy. Lol. So screwed a length of lumber onto the tipped over garage roof sticking out and up and hanged it there.

#34 · (Edited)
All depends on where you live I guess in this province and the type of neighbor hood
Just a question do you have neighbors homes 50 feet away from yours or less I told the story here this year they even crapped on the chair in my buds blind and left him a nasty note to leave the deer alone and he was 800 feet off the walking trail and not even in town
if you are not being bothered consider yourself lucky

#35 ·
My neighbors know i hunt and almost expect to see deer hanging and me going past with a bunch of guys going rabbit hunting. Heck most of them will come looking for a pair of bunnies and ask if i got my deer.
Anyone who doesn't like my way of life doesn't have to live it and better not try to belittle me or my hackles go up.
Couple years ago i was in home depot chatting with a friend as we got some stuff for his camp when a well dressed lady started tearing a strip off us for being hunters and killing defenseless animals. It made me speechless when she said "Dont you know the grocery stores make meat and sell it on those Styrofoam trays" . All i could do was walk away.

#38 · (Edited)
My neighbors know i hunt and almost expect to see deer hanging and me going past with a bunch of guys going rabbit hunting. Heck most of them will come looking for a pair of bunnies and ask if i got my deer.
Anyone who doesn't like my way of life doesn't have to live it and better not try to belittle me or my hackles go up.
Couple years ago i was in home depot chatting with a friend as we got some stuff for his camp when a well dressed lady started tearing a strip off us for being hunters and killing defenseless animals. It made me speechless when she said "Dont you know the grocery stores make meat and sell it on those Styrofoam trays" . All i could do was walk away.
There you go so not just me I didnot stop wearing camo since if I did I would be like Kevin :pwould have to go out naked :D:Dbut don't wear the nra hat any more to stores not worth it
tons of gun haters and tree huggers out there now

#37 · (Edited)
you would not get away with it here that I know, I told the story here about getting ripped a new one at the grocery store after that huge school shooting in the US for wearing a NRA hat and camo clothing. yep the old girl attacked me in the line up at the register and never in my life did I want to hit a old lady so bad but said nothing someone else here had an event at tims for wearing camo and having a big knife on their belt :rolleyes:cannot remember who it was however Like I said they will crap on your blind chair here and leave you notes see me I see truro as farming and more rural from when we goose hunted up there but know little about it in 2023

#40 ·
You say that but will think different after a few confrontations just not worth it I have friends that have taken the NRA stickers off their trucks after they got keyed We are very small numbers today when compared to what is against us and have to open our eyes and see that Yet every tom dick and harry have browning stickers on their trucks and many don;t even know what browning is
Like now in the last week we have some f'er going around and slashing tires in town over 30 people hit so far and no idea who or why I cannot afford another set of michelins right now

#41 ·
nope … never would. I wouldn’t give in. I would set them straight pretty quickly. I don’t care how much we are out numbered … I will give them my opinion every time and could care less about theirs. Dig that hat out and wear it proudly. Remember … we don’t have a gun problem … we have a society problem. Most of these anti’s are only seeing and hearing the bad stuff on MSM … and have no clue what the actual problem is.

#45 ·
Just because you bend over and let the anti's have their way with you, doesn't mean everyone does. I shut one person up on Saturday night about the scary looking guns. She said why does anyone need one of those?? I showed her a picture of a Ruger 10/22 with a wooden stock, then I showed her a Ruger 10/22 with a tactical stock and said it was the exact same gun. She didn't know what to say. I will call these uneducated people out every time. Probably Falls on deaf ears, but nobody's bending me over.

#46 ·
Ya OK hero you just have not faced one that is just waiting for your type and there is more and more of them out there every day. Some of these tough guys saying their mind or saying they will don't even have two clues some day clicking . Here is reality ANY gun owner today has any confrontation with any one even verbal especially a subject like this and your guns ARE GONE TOAST HISTORY at least until you finish in court and by then they are in no shape to even get back from the police IF you win and it will cost you big time in lawyers fees to do so
I am scared he has guns and going to hurt or kill me she says to police when she calls them when you opened that mouth of yours cause you don't bend over PRICELESS and 99%$ of the time she tells them something you never said well prove that . YOU are finished Like I said gun owners are not the same as the general public and we are guilty until proven innocent and I bend over every time in the last 20 years cause I want to keep my guns. Years ago I would puck the face off you not today I just turn and leave and say nothing
I have been through this with a neighbor the bastard taunted me weekly to say something aggressive and charge me and both my police friends at the time said for F'k sake joe walk away and keep your mouth shut and don't even give him a stick eye and I did
There is bending over and then there is being real stupid when you are a gun owner and want to keep them

#49 ·
Well add 400 pounds at that time and as ugly as i am you may be right:p
I am not joking be very careful if you want to say something to these people I know some that have not and it didnot work out well for them
Just think in the heat of the moment you say get out of my face or I will kill you which we have all said at one time
get ready for the police and your guns taken
take care

#48 ·
I believe there is a very fine line between standing your ground if and when an anti confronts you and being seen as aggressive. Each occurrence is different, unless I suppose the same person comes at you again and again. Everything from the tone of your voice, words and phrases used, the way you stand and move and even hand gestures all come together in the mind of whoever is confronting you. We have to remember, this is much more an emotional than rational reaction or argument for many non-gun owners. For example, when you wife is emotional about something does is work well for you when you try to reason with her? The answer is usually not if you're honest. Same with antis.

Pointing out to someone that two very different guns actually had the same capability, like Buckmark did, may help some see things differently. Though at the same time I fear it could simply re-enforce their belief that is just means all guns are bad.

I personally believe that as gun owners we ALWAYS have to take the high road if confronted. Always educate not argue. Always act responsibly, even when not being watched. Always stay well inside all laws and regulations regarding firearms and hunting.

I don't hide the fact that I'm putting a rifle(s) in my vehicle or taking it back into the house. I don't hide the fact I'm wearing camo. But, at the same time, I don't linger, lay it in the driveway, leave it in car unattended etcetera, In other words no one can ever say I'm being careless or threatening in any way.

#50 ·
I believe there is a very fine line between standing your ground if and when an anti confronts you and being seen as aggressive. Each occurrence is different, unless I suppose the same person comes at you again and again. Everything from the tone of your voice, words and phrases used, the way you stand and move and even hand gestures all come together in the mind of whoever is confronting you. We have to remember, this is much more an emotional than rational reaction or argument for many non-gun owners. For example, when you wife is emotional about something does is work well for you when you try to reason with her? The answer is usually not if you're honest. Same with antis.

Pointing out to someone that two very different guns actually had the same capability, like Buckmark did, may help some see things differently. Though at the same time I fear it could simply re-enforce their belief that is just means all guns are bad.

I personally believe that as gun owners we ALWAYS have to take the high road if confronted. Always educate not argue. Always act responsibly, even when not being watched. Always stay well inside all laws and regulations regarding firearms and hunting.

I don't hide the fact that I'm putting a rifle(s) in my vehicle or taking it back into the house. I don't hide the fact I'm wearing camo. But, at the same time, I don't linger, lay it in the driveway, leave it in car unattended etcetera, In other words no one can ever say I'm being careless or threatening in any way.
Well said. Difference I find today is some are just out there looking for a confrontation and with the dam cell phones hard to prove other wise if you get heated and say something you should not which is why they said something to you to begin with IMO they are looking for a fight. For me safest to turn and walk away for what little there is to gain
Call me an ass kisser and I bend over could not careless my guns are worth way more to me than that or fighting with a over 70 little old woman in a grocery line up about the nra
Cheers

#60 ·
From what you are telling us … sounds like the Cape has more anti gun people than the mainland. All of my discussions are with family members and close friends. Maybe people are more respectful in Bridgewater than they are in your town ?? Camo is normal attire for a huge number of people around here. Not once .. never … have I ever seen a confrontation from an anti. I think for the most part, anti’s won’t engage in nonsense concerning guns and hunting. If by chance I was ever in a confrontation with an anti … you‘re damn right I would stand my ground.… but I don’t foresee that ever happening.

#61 · (Edited)
From what you are telling us … sounds like the Cape has more anti gun people than the mainland. All of my discussions are with family members and close friends. Maybe people are more respectful in Bridgewater than they are in your town ?? Camo is normal attire for a huge number of people around here. Not once .. never … have I ever seen a confrontation from an anti. I think for the most part, anti’s won’t engage in nonsense concerning guns and hunting. If by chance I was ever in a confrontation with an anti … you‘re damn right I would stand my ground.… but I don’t foresee that ever happening.
It will if you live long enough not many in the next generation support guns and hunting and if you think differently look where we are right now grasping to hold on to a little bit of what we took for granted. Cape has more classy civilized people :p it is not populated any more with huge numbers of fishermen miners steel workers etc
Just have to look at who is buying everything up for the last 25 years and many of that type are tree huggers Good lord one would have to be born in bridgewater to stay and live there:D:D Anti's won't engage good lord man no they just start it

#62 ·
Maybe so ... but the tradition of hunting is very much alive and well, in my neck of the woods. Kids are on waiting lists to take the Hunters safety course. They are chomping at the bit to become license holders, so they can actually carry a gun when hunting with their parents and grandparents. I think the tradition of hunting is still being passed on from generation to generation, but it's kept more quiet from the ever growing population of snowflakes. I'm sure you have a Stat for this .... I wonder how many deer tags have been issued per year for the last 30 years ??? Has it been a steady decline, incline or stayed about the same ???

#63 · (Edited)
Must be why we sell less than half of the deer licences now 100,000 in the 80's and who knows if that number today they do show is one guy with two or three licences rifle, muzzy and doe they don't separate any more it seems. See what is being missed here is yes kids some of them are involved but they don't replace even 25% of us old farts that are now to old to hunt or dead.( and that is getting worse and worse every tyear as the baby boomers all come of old age) There would be gun shops all around like years ago if alive and well , the big box stores would have shelves of ammo vs none most don't even sell ammo anymore and the trap and skeet club would not be closed and my bud would be back to selling 100's of deer licences a year like he did for many years in his 48 years of business not nine like this year with two under the age of 60
It is a problem in north americia not just here more dropping off than can be backfilled
And not shocked it is alive in well where you are since as I said not as classy or civilized as the cape :D:D and are they on waiting lists since not as many courses are being offered a year ?? since the demand it not there That I bet is the issue

#64 · (Edited)
Wonder why on waiting lists would never see this when I was involved could always find a course available
As of today
Hunting is rocking and growing in Alberta ( why in my mind because they manage their wildlife and have all kinds of things to hunt and fill their freezers with unlike here )but that is the only place in canada sadly all other locations dropping sadly things have changed and I have no clue what we can do to increase numbers and quickly. Like my bud who moved back says went from eating 95% all wild meat to maybe 3% in NS we cannot even get a spring bear hunt here for F:K sake
let alone turkeys to hunt
Online Registration - Classroom Course Selection: Hunter Education (classroom)
Course dates and locations are determined based on course demand. Please select your course below by clicking on the Course ID. If you do not see a scheduled course at this time, please check back again as future courses are added when instructors and locations are confirmed.
��
Course IDLocationCountyDateTimeDate2Time2Date3Time3Open Seats
Course Schedule
No course offerings available for the selected training type.

#65 ·
I know the problem around here for courses … is trying to find an instructor. I think if they did more courses, they would be full if there were instructors to do them. The number of hunters has certainly declined from the 80’s, but seems to be holding its’ own the last number of years.… even increasing. I can only find stats for the last 5 years, but has been increasing, except for 2020 … which license numbers drastically dropped, but more deer were taken than in previous years. Can’t explain that one.

#66 ·
I think the numbers now are all screwed up since we have bow, cross bow muzzy and rifle and then doe draws Is one with all tags showing as one licence or three
Can tell you one thing if up around here love to know where they are hunting drive out to the old spots where there would be 15 plus rigs parked years ago and lucky to see one vehicle
Hearing two shots in loch lomand this year opening day for rifle vs 100's when I hunted there is all I need to know it is way down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.