Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Well F*ck me boys. This beaver apparently got a tag had to check a few times won't truely believe it until something official is in the mail box. After not applying 2 out of the last 4 years and only because the dreams of a NFLD hunt have pretty much slipped away one day a few weeks back decided to try my luck and gave the government a hard earned $9.25. What the hell its Justin's money anyways.

Looks like I got some planning to do, probably no shortage of people who want to tag along. If anyone has any contacts/guides for zone 2 my message box on here is ready and willing like a 19 year old girl who has had one too many.
Well F*ck me boys. This beaver apparently got a tag had to check a few times won't truely believe it until something official is in the mail box. After not applying 2 out of the last 4 years and only because the dreams of a NFLD hunt have pretty much slipped away one day a few weeks back decided to try my luck and gave the government a hard earned $9.25. What the hell its Justin's money anyways.

Looks like I got some planning to do, probably no shortage of people who want to tag along. If anyone has any contacts/guides for zone 2 my message box on here is ready and willing like a 19 year old girl who has had one too many.
Wow awesome man congrats!!!
Try calling Inverness DLF there’s used to be a couple of CO’s there that guide in zone 2 they will even supply you with a camper to stay in!!! Reasonable too. Good luck!!!!!!!!!
If your stuck finding a companion hunter just post on here lol. GOOD LUCK YOUNG FELLA

Reactions: beaverhunter

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Congrats to Beaverhunter and Deertroy1 ! Great to see long time participants draw a tag.

After 30 years maybe it’s possible that I might get a tag in the next few years. 🫣
Best of luck up there fellas!

·
Registered
163 Posts
The few people that I know that been drawn in the past, and their group always seem to get drawn. Shithouse luck ??? I would hate to think this draw is political in any way ... but .....
Shit house luck for my circle. I had just started hunting and I was invited to go on a hunt with a buddy - not as a companion but just to go as a meat mule and experience it. I had a blast and came home raving about it. Told my father and Father in law about it and shared pictures etc. Both had never applied, because they had heard all the grumblings about everyone else's experiences and said why bother.

Well I convinced them to apply anyway cause you never know, its $10 and they spend more on smokes and lotto anyway so give it a go.

The very first year my FIL applied he got Zone 2 season 2. Then 2 years later my father got drawn (after only applying 3 years) for Zone 5 Season 2.

For us it has been a horseshoe up an arse.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Shit house luck for my circle. I had just started hunting and I was invited to go on a hunt with a buddy - not as a companion but just to go as a meat mule and experience it. I had a blast and came home raving about it. Told my father and Father in law about it and shared pictures etc. Both had never applied, because they had heard all the grumblings about everyone else's experiences and said why bother.

Well I convinced them to apply anyway cause you never know, its $10 and they spend more on smokes and lotto anyway so give it a go.

The very first year my FIL applied he got Zone 2 season 2. Then 2 years later my father got drawn (after only applying 3 years) for Zone 5 Season 2.

For us it has been a horseshoe up an arse.

Im sure its discouraging for those not drawn for a long time.

However its a pretty sweet no brainer for our group - $10 for a chance to hunt moose in one the most beautiful and special places in North America.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Do your homework gentlemen hire a good guide. From what I hear, you're going to have to work to get your animal. I am hearing they are very scarce nowadays.

Reactions: Buckmark

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Do your homework gentlemen hire a good guide. From what I hear, you're going to have to work to get your animal. I am hearing they are very scarce nowadays.
That can’t possibly be true! Only a few years ago the experts were telling us there was such an over abundance that they needed to cull hundreds of them. Surely the place is crawling with them according to them!? Lol

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Congratulations to all that have been picked. Be safe and enjoy your hunt. Like Gary says, Hunters’ Mountain is a very special place. You’ll never forget your experience there.

I wasn’t able to go to CB last year but I’m making up for it this year...already went on a fishing – scouting trip a few days ago and will be returning in August. And again for the hunt.

There’s no doubt that the draw is flawed in not making the chances for long time applicants better. That’s not how it is in most of the other provinces where long time applicants are almost guaranteed a license over time. I’ve never been picked in 30 years but I was lucky enough to shoot one moose as a companion. To be honest, I enjoy the scouting and preparation for the hunt more than just the shooting.

One way to beat the system is to become a guide. This year will be our 5th year in a row with multiple licensees and our 14th year in a row with at least one license. We’ve gone from a bunch of friends and acquaintances pooling together, to a full fledged guiding service. And every hunt that we organize gives us the opportunity to expose more hunters to our service. We may not be that good but we do have a large following. That’s the only reason that we get to go moose hunting every year.

A few days ago, on a drizzly day, while my partners were fishing on the lake; I had the chance to visit one of our hunting spots. Watched this bull for over an hour. I came within 25 yards of him. He kept tilting his head while looking at me and then he would feed some more and do it again. Great Fun...!! I took several videos but I have to learn how to edit them. The wind was in my face and, with the drizzle, I had to continuously wipe my camera so there’s a lot to edit out.

Plant Working animal Natural landscape Tree Sky

Plant Tree Natural landscape Wood Atmospheric phenomenon

We met up with these two while we were checking out the trail to another of our hunting spots. They were feeding along the edge of a chopping.

Plant Ecoregion Tree Natural landscape Larch

The fishing was good.

Food Seafood Animal product Cuisine Staple food

But, I enjoyed the encounters with the 3 moose more than the fishing. We now have a big army cabin tent which the guys used last year. Much better than our cheap garage tents..!! This is a photo of it with just 2 of the sections used. We have a third section that can be added to it. We also have a heating stove that we can set up inside.

Sky Tarpaulin Tent Ecoregion Plant

This will be our Galley tent and our old garage will be used for dining. Looks like we’ll have 3 teams this year so we’ll need lots of room.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Congratulations to all that have been picked. Be safe and enjoy your hunt. Like Gary says, Hunters’ Mountain is a very special place. You’ll never forget your experience there.

I wasn’t able to go to CB last year but I’m making up for it this year...already went on a fishing – scouting trip a few days ago and will be returning in August. And again for the hunt.

There’s no doubt that the draw is flawed in not making the chances for long time applicants better. That’s not how it is in most of the other provinces where long time applicants are almost guaranteed a license over time. I’ve never been picked in 30 years but I was lucky enough to shoot one moose as a companion. To be honest, I enjoy the scouting and preparation for the hunt more than just the shooting.

One way to beat the system is to become a guide. This year will be our 5th year in a row with multiple licensees and our 14th year in a row with at least one license. We’ve gone from a bunch of friends and acquaintances pooling together, to a full fledged guiding service. And every hunt that we organize gives us the opportunity to expose more hunters to our service. We may not be that good but we do have a large following. That’s the only reason that we get to go moose hunting every year.

A few days ago, on a drizzly day, while my partners were fishing on the lake; I had the chance to visit one of our hunting spots. Watched this bull for over an hour. I came within 25 yards of him. He kept tilting his head while looking at me and then he would feed some more and do it again. Great Fun...!! I took several videos but I have to learn how to edit them. The wind was in my face and, with the drizzle, I had to continuously wipe my camera so there’s a lot to edit out.

View attachment 98316

View attachment 98317

We met up with these two while we were checking out the trail to another of our hunting spots. They were feeding along the edge of a chopping.

View attachment 98318

The fishing was good.

View attachment 98319

But, I enjoyed the encounters with the 3 moose more than the fishing. We now have a big army cabin tent which the guys used last year. Much better than our cheap garage tents..!! This is a photo of it with just 2 of the sections used. We have a third section that can be added to it. We also have a heating stove that we can set up inside.

View attachment 98320

This will be our Galley tent and our old garage will be used for dining. Looks like we’ll have 3 teams this year so we’ll need lots of room.
I grew up down that way, there is not much in many areas for people to live off. Because of the very low deer numbers there is no guiding for deer, has not been in a long time. Moose guiding would be the number one thing as revenue for resident guides, and fishing. The idea for people that do not reside on Cape Breton to become moose guides just does not seem right to me, seems like just another flaw in the moose draw. I see it as monies lost to those that live there year round. Even though I am retired here in the valley and know the areas very well, I could not do that. Sorry for the opinion but I know many that need it down there each year to scrape by.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
To be honest, I enjoy the scouting and preparation for the hunt more than just the shooting.

I agree David G. The combination fishing and moose scouting trips make for great adventures. Then there is all the reading of maps, planning for the placement of hunters and the fixing of tree stands etc. I have read a lot of articles on guided lake trout, elk, moose and grizzly bear hunts throughout North America and have yet come across a menu as extensive and appetizing as the one you provide on the top of Hunter’s mountain.
You provide much more to the experience than guiding for moose and the effort your group is willing to put into every hunt is why you have a great reputation.
To guide is one thing, to provide a full on moose hunting experience with comradery and gourmet meals is quite another.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Congratulations to all successful applicants in this season's NS moose hunting lottery. I was fortunate enough to have been drawn in 1990 (1st time I ever applied) along with my future father-in-law as well. That hunt is still one of my fondest memories. My hunting 'companion' in addition to my FIL to be was my grandfather (my mentor, my substitute dad and best friend). We spent an amazing time camping in the Bell Lk area scouting, making memories and making meat. We were both fortunate enough to fill our tags by noon on opening day and were beating it back to Truro with moose carcasses packed with ice to get them skinned, quartered and hung in the cooler. This was an extra special trip as it would be one of the final hunts my grandfather and I got to make together. He was the man that taught me all I knew up to that point about deer, rabbits, woodscraft, and life. It was also my gramps first opportunity to have a ride on an ATV! We were very fortunate in that not long after I shot my moose in the morning, while we were all out at the truck gathering ropes, snatch blocks, etc. to get my moose out, along came 2 French gentleman on four wheelers who were in the Highlands to offer to help hunters get their moose out of the woods using their bikes in exchange for the hearts and livers. My grandfather had been talking all week about how much he was looking forward to having a feed of moose liver, as it'd been years since he'd had any. I initially blurted out that while I was happy to offer them the heart I had already promised the liver to my gramp. Not sure I'd even got the words out of my mouth before getting the cuff on my ear followed by gramp telling our generous French ATV'ers that by all means they were more than welcome to the heart AND liver. Quickly followed by a whisper in my ear, "Do you have any idea how much work they are going to save us? Give them the liver!". 😆

Once we got the bikes in to my moose and hooked on we were initially unable to move the animal. This was pre 4WD ATV's. We hooked the bikes in tandem, but still no luck, the lead ATV could only move a few feet and then the front end would come up and the rear wheels would bury themselves. The solution, have my grandfather sit on the front rack of the lead bike (he was a big able man, even in his 70's). That was the ticket, off we went, slowly but surely heading for the truck. As I say this was gramps first (and only as far as I know) ATV ride. He was hooting and hollering the entire ride, and perhaps having an occasional sip of Governor General from the pint in his coat!. Over and over he kept exclaiming how much work one of these bikes would have saved him over the years packing deer and moose out of the woods. That is in fact one of my favourite memories of the entire hunt, much more than actually, "getting me moose bye". I can still see and hear him yet as if it were just yesterday. My gramp had been a longtime moose hunter and local guide on Debert and Belmont Mountains. If I recall he'd shot 21 moose 'up the mountain' when we had an annual mainland moose hunt. I still remember the old steel lock on tags from the last moose seasons on the mainland. Great times and better memories!

And oh yeah, don't let anyone tell you that a 6.5x55 isn't enough gun for moose! I shot mine with my first hunting rifle (a sporterized military carbine that was 'smithed and given to me by my other grandfather when I turned 16). I had 160gr RNSP ammunition but instead used the new (at the time) 139gr Norma PPC (power protected cavity) ammo I'd read about in a hunting magazine at the time. 6.5's weren't really common or popular then (compared to today) but I had read several hunting mags that discussed their popularity and use for moose hunting in Scandinavia. They said they were shooting over 50 000 moose a season in Sweden alone with 6.5x55 rifles, and I didn't see any reason it shouldn't be equally effective on an Alberta transplant in Nova Scotia. They work fine 😉

But sadly, surprise, surprise the annual moose hunting draw thread has started for another season and the whining and airing of childish petty jealousies & conspiracies has begun right on cue! 😂 You guys are nothing else if not predictable.

The claims of 'corruption', 'its a fix', blah, blah, blah... What a pile of moose pellets. I've bought lotto tickets off and on since the old Olympic Lotto days and have never won anything greater than a free ticket. Guess I should start my class action lawsuit as such an outcome is clear evidence that the entire system is 'fixed' according to the normal gang of chronic complainers and pessimists that remain on this once great hunting site. Sad.

I expect next you'll devolve into blaming the Mi'kmaw and you all can show your true colours and biases and prejudices. After that you'll likely get around to blaming government, and even though we live in a PC governed province who look after wildlife management (outside federal parks) and you all can get down to bashing the federal Liberals. As I say, nothing if not predictable.

Hey there old Thundercloud, I'm glad to see you finally came right out and said that you take issue with David G. and his groups efforts to legally and ethically put in the work to allow them to participate in a sport they obviously love and a game animal they obviously revere. It was growing tiring watching you make your veiled references about your actual feelings. It was quite obvious what your opinion has been re. David G. and his fantastic moose hunting thread. Glad to see you've gotten over your passive-aggressiveness and manned up to actually speak your mind. Not that I imagine anybody thats read more than 3 of your posts has any doubt that you are one of the most negative, pessimistic members this site has ever seen. According to you EVERYTHING is going to hell. You really need to change your handle to Thundercloud my friend. When I hear your 'name' or read your posts I immediately picture you as Bad Luck Schleprock from the Flintstones, walking around with a dark storm cloud over your head constantly. Hilarious!

Based on your own logic and statement to David G. I offer a follow-up using your same logic. You flat out stated that you believe David G. is wrong - either ethically, or morally if not legally - but putting in the time and effort to spend time moose hunting in the Highlands. Correct? You state he's depriving the 'locals' who truly need and deserve a monopoly on moose in the CB Highlands. Correct? Well sir, I believe that you claim to originate from CB but now live in the Annapolis Valley. Correct? If so why do you feel entitled to shoot 'our' mainland deer rather than returning to CB each fall to hunt 'your' deer? Typically 2 a season I might add... as you whine about low numbers and gov't mismanagement. Do you apply the principles you believe David G. should abide regarding CB moose to YOU shooting mainland deer in the Valley? Did that parallel even enter your consciousness? Think about that for a second and let it sink in. Now, I obviously don't think or feel that way (I'm an adult) as we are all Nova Scotian's and as such equally entitled to take part in any activity that is permitted us as citizens of this province. I doubt you understand that however, as you've already made clear that you believe that you were the only person that should have been permitted to purchase and enjoy the woodlands around wherever you built your "hunting camp/cottage". How dare those other citizens purchase available land and also build on it wrecking your hunting area! Sir, you more than any other individual need to get over yourself and realize your opinions and $2 bucks gets you a medium double double and not a thing more. You are not special.

Kevin, should you decide to delete my post because someone got their feelings hurt please delete my entire profile at the same time. If it is perfectly fine to come on here and defy site standards and use a partially spelled curse words in practically every thread on a 'family friendly' site; or repeatedly trash politicians and outright state there should be violence perpetuated against them, simply 'cause "your team lost the election"; batshit crazy conspiracies ad nauseum; or come on here and make both dog whistle racist/religious statements as well as right out in the open xenophobic, racist, bigoted comments with impunity than not only has this site become one I no longer wish to interact on, but also one which I do not want to be a member of! This place was bad, it is only getting worse. It is sad.

This used to be a fantastic website with a ton of active, knowledgeable members sharing stories and information regarding hunting and shooting in our province. At one time it was something to be proud of. Today, although I believe most of those old members are still out there I believe like me the vast majority have no interest in interacting or sharing with the handful of people that regularly post. Regardless of the topic everything devolves into a rooster measuring contest and insult ridden garbage. I now think of NSH.com as the Club for Angry Old White Conservative Men Who Shake Their Fists & Yell at the Sky. It has become a great place to learn what the next far right political conspiracy theory id, but a darn poor place for those actually interested in hunting and shooting tell tales and share information and yarns on hunting.

Sermon over... AMEM.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
ALW I really enjoyed the first part of your post. Brought back memories of past years hunting with my mother,father and grandfather.
I wish you had of posted the later part somewhere else tho.
Yes I guilty of useing vulgar language on here but those that post are all grown adults.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
I grew up down that way, there is not much in many areas for people to live off. Because of the very low deer numbers there is no guiding for deer, has not been in a long time. Moose guiding would be the number one thing as revenue for resident guides, and fishing. The idea for people that do not reside on Cape Breton to become moose guides just does not seem right to me, seems like just another flaw in the moose draw. I see it as monies lost to those that live there year round. Even though I am retired here in the valley and know the areas very well, I could not do that. Sorry for the opinion but I know many that need it down there each year to scrape by.
TS this is Canada and free enterprise Should Jim Shockey be prohibited from guiding in Alaska and the NWT. I live in the city so does that mean I shouldn’t be permitted to hunt in the country.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Congratulations to all successful applicants in this season's NS moose hunting lottery. I was fortunate enough to have been drawn in 1990 (1st time I ever applied) along with my future father-in-law as well. That hunt is still one of my fondest memories. My hunting 'companion' in addition to my FIL to be was my grandfather (my mentor, my substitute dad and best friend). We spent an amazing time camping in the Bell Lk area scouting, making memories and making meat. We were both fortunate enough to fill our tags by noon on opening day and were beating it back to Truro with moose carcasses packed with ice to get them skinned, quartered and hung in the cooler. This was an extra special trip as it would be one of the final hunts my grandfather and I got to make together. He was the man that taught me all I knew up to that point about deer, rabbits, woodscraft, and life. It was also my gramps first opportunity to have a ride on an ATV! We were very fortunate in that not long after I shot my moose in the morning, while we were all out at the truck gathering ropes, snatch blocks, etc. to get my moose out, along came 2 French gentleman on four wheelers who were in the Highlands to offer to help hunters get their moose out of the woods using their bikes in exchange for the hearts and livers. My grandfather had been talking all week about how much he was looking forward to having a feed of moose liver, as it'd been years since he'd had any. I initially blurted out that while I was happy to offer them the heart I had already promised the liver to my gramp. Not sure I'd even got the words out of my mouth before getting the cuff on my ear followed by gramp telling our generous French ATV'ers that by all means they were more than welcome to the heart AND liver. Quickly followed by a whisper in my ear, "Do you have any idea how much work they are going to save us? Give them the liver!". 😆

Once we got the bikes in to my moose and hooked on we were initially unable to move the animal. This was pre 4WD ATV's. We hooked the bikes in tandem, but still no luck, the lead ATV could only move a few feet and then the front end would come up and the rear wheels would bury themselves. The solution, have my grandfather sit on the front rack of the lead bike (he was a big able man, even in his 70's). That was the ticket, off we went, slowly but surely heading for the truck. As I say this was gramps first (and only as far as I know) ATV ride. He was hooting and hollering the entire ride, and perhaps having an occasional sip of Governor General from the pint in his coat!. Over and over he kept exclaiming how much work one of these bikes would have saved him over the years packing deer and moose out of the woods. That is in fact one of my favourite memories of the entire hunt, much more than actually, "getting me moose bye". I can still see and hear him yet as if it were just yesterday. My gramp had been a longtime moose hunter and local guide on Debert and Belmont Mountains. If I recall he'd shot 21 moose 'up the mountain' when we had an annual mainland moose hunt. I still remember the old steel lock on tags from the last moose seasons on the mainland. Great times and better memories!

And oh yeah, don't let anyone tell you that a 6.5x55 isn't enough gun for moose! I shot mine with my first hunting rifle (a sporterized military carbine that was 'smithed and given to me by my other grandfather when I turned 16). I had 160gr RNSP ammunition but instead used the new (at the time) 139gr Norma PPC (power protected cavity) ammo I'd read about in a hunting magazine at the time. 6.5's weren't really common or popular then (compared to today) but I had read several hunting mags that discussed their popularity and use for moose hunting in Scandinavia. They said they were shooting over 50 000 moose a season in Sweden alone with 6.5x55 rifles, and I didn't see any reason it shouldn't be equally effective on an Alberta transplant in Nova Scotia. They work fine 😉

But sadly, surprise, surprise the annual moose hunting draw thread has started for another season and the whining and airing of childish petty jealousies & conspiracies has begun right on cue! 😂 You guys are nothing else if not predictable.

The claims of 'corruption', 'its a fix', blah, blah, blah... What a pile of moose pellets. I've bought lotto tickets off and on since the old Olympic Lotto days and have never won anything greater than a free ticket. Guess I should start my class action lawsuit as such an outcome is clear evidence that the entire system is 'fixed' according to the normal gang of chronic complainers and pessimists that remain on this once great hunting site. Sad.

I expect next you'll devolve into blaming the Mi'kmaw and you all can show your true colours and biases and prejudices. After that you'll likely get around to blaming government, and even though we live in a PC governed province who look after wildlife management (outside federal parks) and you all can get down to bashing the federal Liberals. As I say, nothing if not predictable.

Hey there old Thundercloud, I'm glad to see you finally came right out and said that you take issue with David G. and his groups efforts to legally and ethically put in the work to allow them to participate in a sport they obviously love and a game animal they obviously revere. It was growing tiring watching you make your veiled references about your actual feelings. It was quite obvious what your opinion has been re. David G. and his fantastic moose hunting thread. Glad to see you've gotten over your passive-aggressiveness and manned up to actually speak your mind. Not that I imagine anybody thats read more than 3 of your posts has any doubt that you are one of the most negative, pessimistic members this site has ever seen. According to you EVERYTHING is going to hell. You really need to change your handle to Thundercloud my friend. When I hear your 'name' or read your posts I immediately picture you as Bad Luck Schleprock from the Flintstones, walking around with a dark storm cloud over your head constantly. Hilarious!

Based on your own logic and statement to David G. I offer a follow-up using your same logic. You flat out stated that you believe David G. is wrong - either ethically, or morally if not legally - but putting in the time and effort to spend time moose hunting in the Highlands. Correct? You state he's depriving the 'locals' who truly need and deserve a monopoly on moose in the CB Highlands. Correct? Well sir, I believe that you claim to originate from CB but now live in the Annapolis Valley. Correct? If so why do you feel entitled to shoot 'our' mainland deer rather than returning to CB each fall to hunt 'your' deer? Typically 2 a season I might add... as you whine about low numbers and gov't mismanagement. Do you apply the principles you believe David G. should abide regarding CB moose to YOU shooting mainland deer in the Valley? Did that parallel even enter your consciousness? Think about that for a second and let it sink in. Now, I obviously don't think or feel that way (I'm an adult) as we are all Nova Scotian's and as such equally entitled to take part in any activity that is permitted us as citizens of this province. I doubt you understand that however, as you've already made clear that you believe that you were the only person that should have been permitted to purchase and enjoy the woodlands around wherever you built your "hunting camp/cottage". How dare those other citizens purchase available land and also build on it wrecking your hunting area! Sir, you more than any other individual need to get over yourself and realize your opinions and $2 bucks gets you a medium double double and not a thing more. You are not special.

Kevin, should you decide to delete my post because someone got their feelings hurt please delete my entire profile at the same time. If it is perfectly fine to come on here and defy site standards and use a partially spelled curse words in practically every thread on a 'family friendly' site; or repeatedly trash politicians and outright state there should be violence perpetuated against them, simply 'cause "your team lost the election"; batshit crazy conspiracies ad nauseum; or come on here and make both dog whistle racist/religious statements as well as right out in the open xenophobic, racist, bigoted comments with impunity than not only has this site become one I no longer wish to interact on, but also one which I do not want to be a member of! This place was bad, it is only getting worse. It is sad.

This used to be a fantastic website with a ton of active, knowledgeable members sharing stories and information regarding hunting and shooting in our province. At one time it was something to be proud of. Today, although I believe most of those old members are still out there I believe like me the vast majority have no interest in interacting or sharing with the handful of people that regularly post. Regardless of the topic everything devolves into a rooster measuring contest and insult ridden garbage. I now think of NSH.com as the Club for Angry Old White Conservative Men Who Shake Their Fists & Yell at the Sky. It has become a great place to learn what the next far right political conspiracy theory id, but a darn poor place for those actually interested in hunting and shooting tell tales and share information and yarns on hunting.

Sermon over... AMEM.
Talking about someone being negative, I have not seen seen anything from you other than the occassional attack or two. Zero posts on the site. Last time I checked people were allowed an opinion. I reside in the Valley, I live here, I no longer live in Cape Breton. I should be able to hunt here. Its where I pay my taxes pay not Cape Breton. Sorry I don't see your comparison. Like I said I would not become a guide in the moose draw if I did not reside there, that's me. My opinion based on growing up seeing how things have changed for the people living there with the moose. Cape Breton was once world class for hunting etc. People around the world came there, there were lodges that provided every thing, tour buses after tour buses full of hunters, yes even gormet meals served, money spent though out the communities. They all closed once the only real big game animal to hunt became the moose. Why? Because out siders could not apply, and a mismanaged deer herd finished it off. With the moose draw being only for Nova Scotians anyone can cart all there belongings to Cape Breton and back as nothing really is needed from anyone there if they choose to do so, no food, lodgings, gas etc. I seen lots close from when I grew up. I know many that do still live there that struggle, many have no pensions etc, to fall back on. Some I know are 70 and still working in the woods. Guiding helps them. People should put themselves in the shoes of those that live in Cape Breton full time. Its not the same as just visiting on a moose hunt and then going back to another part of the province where you live, to hunt deer. My dad was a main guide for one of the biggest guiding services back when there were deer, its what helped feed us. I am not attacking David, I am just stating I would not become a guide now that I don't live there. I know ones down there that could greatly use the money more than I. Its nothing about a monoply, its about part of the province that gets nothing, and slowly I watch more more areas dry up, as monies go else where. I am allowed to make my decision on what I feel is right or wrong for me. You want to be a moose guide have at her. For your other comments not really sure where that comes from, you seem to have some real anger issues that you should get looked at:)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts