Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 297 Posts

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just emailed this to my buddy Pete in NB. Just so we wouldn't duplicate anything. We'll be in the highlands all of next week...fishing and revamping our stands. This is typical of all our hunts or scouting trips to CB. We're generally 6 to 10 people and I cook for 20....you never know when you're going to have company!! And the left overs are iced up for lunch the next day...By the end of the week, there's quite a selection for lunch...!!

Every meal seen here is frozen and will be buried in ice (in a grey bin) until we reheat it. All of these meals require a minimum of cooking(boiling spaghetti..etc..) which is what you want when camping. No one wants to cook all day. At the same time, you don't want to eat hot dogs and sardines all week.

Pete normally brings all of the breakfast stuff:...bacon...eggs...pancake mix...homefries...bread for toast..etc.. We have a full breakfast every morning (usually includes trout)...We also make sure that we have plenty of fruits and vegetables.

Once we're set up for a week, we hate to waste time driving out for groceries so we try to have enough of everything, and ice to last at least a week.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...perhaps you should have a DNA sample and a copy of the Death Certificate with you as well..
..just to prove it was killed the year before...lol: ..then again..there's lots of denizens of the area that could have given you some moose to enjoy!
'Sooooo you got room for Bob, Kpr AAAAAANNNND me.. heh heh RIGHT ON David!! ..Ummmm...I'll bring the spoon for MY chowda...and forks for everyone else!!'

It would great to have you all, Kev...!!! And usually we have plenty of brew to wash all this down with...

Markus, Bob can check this out..., I was told by a game warden that anybody is allowed 15 Lbs of game meat without a permit at anytime during the year. We're going to be 9 people....Based on that assumption we should be allowed 135 Lbs. of meat...We're not even close to that...!!

Mecheng, I agree ..hard to beat pancakes and sausages for breakfast..That is definetly on our menu...

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pay particular attention to paragraphs 9(5) and 9(6).

July 31 is the 'magic' day...

Bob
Bob..I don't know what we'd do without you..!!!?? Thanks for the Info. I was completely unaware of the July 31st deadline...!!! I just assumed that less than 15 Lbs. was legal anytime...I'll have to let my friends know...I'm down to my last few pounds of game meat anyhow....Damn, I guess we'll have to eat beef on our hunt in Sept..!!!

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very good, quick, concise info. Thanks.
Had another great time in the highlands...!!! It's always intriguing visiting all of our old spots and exploring new ones. Over the years, we've established over half a dozen good hunting spots:...The Hidden Pond, The Rock, The Meadow, The Honey Hole, Don's Bog, The North Pond,etc... I was going to name this Summer's newly explored spot: the 'Horsefly Hell Hole'...but Pete insisted on naming it after me....His first choice was: 'David's Hole'...'Now, I said, surely you can come up with something a little more flattering..!!!??' So we settled on Dave's Barren...Hopefully, I'll live long enough to see one of my friends take one out of there...the signs are as good or better than any of our established spots...

Mecheng, This was our first breakfast...thought of you

To all you pancake lovers out there...if you like pancakes thick, light and fluffy (not flat and pasty),
LEAVE LUMPS IN YOU BATTER, Over mixing (store bought or homemade) is the biggest mistake that people make. Don't worry if you have small lumps of undissolved mix...they'll cook out and make you pancakes nice and light. Guaranteed..!!

We made deep fried potato skins to go with our moose roast and gravy...pretty good stuff...!!

Our first day keepers...

Our well ventilated, Summer Accomodations.....

Pete (white spot) across 'My' Barren...

Will likely post a few more pics of our trip in the coming weeks...

Hope all you bear hunters have a great day at the NSBHA meet to-day...Enjoy the boar...!! (Wish I was there to sample...never had boar before...)

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love to see your pictures on here David,really enjoy all of them and the write ups too!I would love to read a story like this just once without the armchair game wardens questioning the legality of everything they see.I think its getting old fast,just enjoy the pictures and stories,and stop questioning everyones ethics already....anyway,I can't wairt to see your fall hunting stories and pictures David!
Thanks Buck-Knife, I didn't take any offense at all to the observations and comments posted on this thread. If anything, I appreciated them. You can tell by the tone of a message if it's meant to be informative and helpful or just plain critical...and in this case I saw a genuine concern and I appreciated Bob's clarification. Sometimes it's the petty things that will get you in trouble, especially if you have jealous people around you that can't wait to bring you down.
Like Marcus, I've had that happen before...but it was unrelated to hunting and fishing.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
BTW....David....One hell of a menu!My mouth was watering looking at that breakfast!!
Thanks guys,

Bob, the scenario that you describe could easily have played itself out. Driving into our site the Friday before the week of the hunt, one of our vehicles( with the 2 licensees ) was stopped on a routine check while driving up Hunter's mountain road. We told the officers where we were going to be and how many licenses we had. On Thursday afternoon, just a few hours after icing up the second moose...we received their visit. I was on my third Boiler Maker...!!!

We have trails that we use for accessing our sites by foot and canoe only and other trails that lead to the nearest road so that we don't waste time transporting and cooling down the meat. On our drive back with the meat in back of the truck, we had to go by another team of hunters. They were really concerned as to where we had gotten this moose...!!?? I told them that I got it in the heart...!!! What else could I say...??!!

The officers were very gracious and professional. They just wanted to check the tags on both moose and that was it. It was pretty obvious by their demeanour that they were there because they had been called and had to come. They already knew that we had 2 licenses but nobody else did... and I suppose when you suspect that a team is taking their second moose on one license you have to let DNR know ( although I'm not sure that that was the motivation in this case).

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Funny that you should resurrect this thread Kevin because I was thinking to-day about starting another one dealing with camping preparations and some of the things that we're going to improve on. So this thread will have a Sub Title...Moose Hunting Fare and CAMPING PREPARATIONS. I think that you're right about the thread that dealt with our camping set up....that was on the old site. There are a lot things that we do organization and planning wise that makes our camping experience a hell of a lot easier and more fun. As this thread moves along I'll try and revive some of the things that I had illustrated on the old site.

Allen and I met with his son-in-law(the licensee) this afternoon and picked up the paper work. Damn, we could have stayed there all day talking about moose hunting....!! He's going to come with us on our scouting-fishing trip so he'll be familiar with all our spots and set-ups. Come hunting time, he can decide which one he prefers. I'm going to pass him my 308... His 30 30 would likely do the trick...it's all about placement...but he would feel better with the 308 and so would we. I really hope that I can video tape the kill (if we're lucky enough to get one...!!)

I don't want to wish a heart attack on anybody...but if it has to happen, I hope that it's a licensee in your zone and season...!! Good Luck Kev...!!

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
One of the most difficult things to pack for an extended camping trip are the Coleman lanterns. We break globes every year...and it's hardly ever at the camp site. It's almost always in transit or while packing. This is the damage from last years two trips to CB:

Buying new ones every year can be a little costly and they're not always available at the local Hardware store which makes replacing them somewhat of a nuisance. We may have found the ultimate solution to this…just by luck not by design.

Pete works in communications and his company received a piece of sensitive equipment in this case…It's the Mother of all Pelican Cases…!!! His company had no use for it and he got it at a fraction of the costs.

When KPR mentioned that they were really good camera cases I never realize HOW GOOD...!! They're not just next to indestructible but they are very easy to modify for the specific purposes that you're going to use them for. The foam protective inserts do not require any kind of cutting tools to be adapted for any kind of equipment that you have. You just separate the ½ inch rectangular cubes from the pad with your fingers until you have a hole that accommodates whatever you want to put in there...

I have 6 Coleman lanterns ( only one has a case)so I need to protect 5 of them. Pete had called me a while back that he had the case and that he would give it to me for whatever storage purposes that would help with our trips to CB.

I visited him recently to pick up the case and before bringing it back we did some modifications to the foam inserts...It took us less than an hour...!! We separated the three top layers of foam in half...because we had other plans for the other half of the case. These are some of the pictures illustrating what we did...

The height is perfect for lanterns...the foam inside the cover fits nice and snug against the top of the lanterns. With the cover closed, a 400 Lb Newfie could dance the jig on top and we wouldn't even have to worry...!!!

We figured out what we wanted to do with the other halves of the inserts. We've never had a central, safe place to store everybody's electronic stuff:..Cameras...GPS...Walkie Talkies...Cell Phones...Electronic Callers...Range Finders...etc.

These are relatively small, and would likely be stored inside stacked layers of the inserts. To make them more accessible we decided to place a sheet of Meranti under each layer with two strings coming through the foam. This way we can easily lift all the inserts relatively quickly and get at the stuff that would be in the bottom layer without any problems.

I haven't started to modify these yet. I have half a dozen things that will likely go in there.

Pete and I discussed two new cooking methods that we want to try out over the open fire on our fishing-scouting trip. They might be complete flops but it doesn't matter...this trip is just a rehearsal for the hunting trip. I'll be talking about these in my future posts...Maybe someone will offer some hints....

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I never thought about that Kev....Will have to save a corner for my Scotch...!!! Thanks KPR, Pete and I had thought about that. Naphtha is a pretty potent solvent for sure. We're going to make sure that they're completely empty and dry on the outside. It's so volatile that any residue left should evaporate fairly quickly once you air them out. We'll likely wrap them in aluminum foil as an extra precaution. Having half a dozen of them discharge inside would really give the case a good test ,though ...!!! But I don't think that I want to be sitting on top of it ...!!!!

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just got this email from Pete...

QUOTE "Hi Dave, been getting ready for the CB Fishing trip bit by bit and I'd like to put together a plan for food. I plan on bringing milk, juice, bacon, potatoes, onions, eggs, cereal, bread, pancakes and other breakfast stuff as well as trail mix (for Eastie & Westie), a big squash, chili, a big pre-cooked roast and a half decent bottle of Port. Can you think of anything else you'd like me to bring? I'm also working on an idea to provide us with running water this time as well…" END QUOTE

We'll be heading to Bell Lake the first week of August for our annual fishing-scouting trip. Can't Wait..!!!! Last year's Companion A (Brian D)(with Tony) tented at our camp site last week...he was playing baseball in CB and decided to spent a couple of days fishing since he was already up there. He called and told me that the moose had made a mess of my 'Kitchen'...droppings all over. I guess we'll have to take care of that Moose...!! I like a clean kitchen...!!!

The bottle of Port that Pete is bringing is part of a 17 year old ritual that was started by Herb ( who passed away in 2009). Herb would always prepare one meal: Salt cod and Pork Scraps with turnip and potatoes.And he always poured each of us a stiff drink of Port to go along with it. This was the only wine that he liked and he really enjoyed it with salt cod. None of us was too fussy for the port but we all pretended to like it so he wouldn't feel bad. Since his passing, we've continued the tradition in his memory...and more and more we're getting to like the Port...!!

"Running Water"...Can't wait to see what that contraption will be..!!!??

I haven't started cooking yet..but by the end of the week we'll likely have our complete menu in place except for the cooking and freezing.

Some of Mecheng's crew last year were impressed with our dining tables that Russel had put together. It's nice to have a comfortable place to sit and eat. Those floppy folding chairs are the pits...a half drunk, old guy can't even get out of them..!!! Each table is made out of one sheet of 3/4 inch plywood. They're very solid when put together...store flat when taken apart with little space needed...and assemble with no fasteners of any type. They will seat 6 big guys comfortably and they are very sturdy..!! The best that I've seen yet for picnic tables to eat on.

Russel had brought some paint and brushes because he didn't have time to paint them before leaving so Pete and him did them the day before we left. They didn't seem to mine at all...Funny how nothing is work when you're camping..!!

This shows roughly how the pieces are taken from a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood.If any body is interested in the plans, I'm sure Russel wouldn't mine sharing it.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks JWR, You`re right. Russell told me that someone at a Bluegrass Festival had given him the plans. I was really surprised at how sturdy they are...you can jump right on top of them and they don't budge at all.

Hope to see a great big set of Moose Antlers laying on top of it come the second season Kevin...!!! Be sure to take plenty of pictures...!!!

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
jj1

This was our set up for over 10 years. Although it leaked like a sieve(as you can tell by the picture), the old canvas tent had a lot of advantages over the big Crappy Tire Garage Tent that we use now. Once the openings were secured closed, it retained heat a lot better...didn't flap in the wind...no condensation...and just felt a lot more cozy than the big plastic tarp that we use now. We still have it and as long as you throw a tarp on top your safe. It's just too small for the number of people that we need to accommodate....and I enjoy having my kitchen on the inside...!!

There was just something about it that made it a lot more cozy inside than the one we use now. I sort of miss the darn old thing...

This was taken a few years back...

Herb & Allain

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Now, That's my kind of Moose Hunt...!!! Great pics...!!! Man, you guys would fit right in with our gang... You're going to have a ball...!!! I notice that you have the same Coleman Propane 'tree' as us. Great rig... you can connect up to 3 stoves to it.

Isn't it great to have those pictures to look back on...It really gets you going, doesn't it...

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Will be leaving Saturday morning around 5.00Am for our Scouting - Fishing Trip...Pete sent me this message over the week-end:

'WE built a 16 foot table for Cape Breton so that you can use it for cooking and lots more, here is a picture of it'.

'WE'...meaning him and his 13 year old son Nick...

It's a good thing that my kitchen is 20 feet wide...

Can't wait to be 'HOME' Again...!!!

Our makeshift 'interior doors' table in the background...worked pretty well...

Will be cooking and packing for the next couple of days...

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Kevin,them old tents are just like an old cedar canvas canoe...they need a good soaking before they start to work right...

Caleb...Remember this quote from the Moose Success Story Thread last year...

'I love nothing more than reading the nice long stories posted on this forum. A person really learns a few things when every single detail of the hunt is published. Congratulations to everyone on their success so far. You guys are making me nearly sick to my stomach with envy.'

Well, I guess it'll be other people that will be envious of YOU this year...!! Congrats on getting picked..! You'll have STORIES TO TELL and GOOD MEMORIES WILL BE MADE...GUARANTEED...!!! Wish you the best in the hunt...!! Document as much of it as you can....Memories fade, Pictures don't....

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
We're all loaded up and ready to go...!!!

Twelve of us, in a 3 vehicle caravan( loaded with 3 canoes and 2 kayaks), with 4 new 'guests' that have never been there before. Should be fun...!!

So far, the Daily Main Meal Menu is looking something like this:

Chili(Pete),...Roast(Pete),...Tomato Sauce with Italian Sausages and Meatballs for a Sphagetti Dinner(me),...Steak & Onions (Russel)....Russel's bringing a lot of Haddock so I'll likely make Lemon Fish with Venison Fried rice and glazed carrots to go along with it...Individual Rappie pies ( Russel),Salt Cod and Pork Scraps with Turnip and Potatoes, (me) Ham (Allain), Fried Bologna with Creamed Corn and Mash Potatoes( Allain). Allain wanted to donate a big Turkey but we're going to save it for the Sunday Dinner prior to the first day of the moose hunt as we did last year...everybody really enjoyed it and the sandwiches the day after at the stands. We're going to be there for 8 to 9 days...if we run short there's always Trout...

Russel will be bringing a small grey bin of ice along with a small freezer full of ice and a generator to run it. We'll see how it works and we may reuse it for the moose hunt. Hell, We'll have our own ice plant...!! Just open 'er up when it rains and close the door when it stops raining...!!

Leaving at 5.00 AM tomorrow...

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Have a safe journey and take lots of pics!!!
Just got back a few hours ago...

Took over 400 pictures...

Some of the pics were of the fun things we did and the food of course...

A newly explored bog with more fresh signs than all of our other spots combined...!!! That's where we will be on opening day...

And one, not so appetizing scene...Notice that the head has been CARRIED away (not dragged)as has one of the front quarters... I never thought that Coyotes were that powerful...!!! Rigor Mortis hadn't set in and the paunch was only slightly distended...pretty fresh kill...we likely scared them off when we entered the bog...We witnessed more coyote signs this year than in any of our previous 16 years...scat all over the place..!!

Accounts of this to follow in this thread and other ones...

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
It will likely take me most of the week before I can sort out all the pictures and upload some of them on Photobucket. I'll have different categories for the pics...and will post in the appropriate thread or start new ones as the case may be.

CALF KILL:
Our CSI skills are limited but we took plenty of pictures of the whole area and tried to recreate the drama that must have unfolded when that calf was taken down with the cow trying to protect it. We returned there 48 hours after the find to see what was left...It would have been interesting to have set up a Game Cam for those 48 hours....Better yet to have watched over the sight with a shotgun...!! I would welcome feedback from Coyote hunters on our account of the situation. Russel is the only one among us that has successfully hunted coyotes before.

CAMP IMPROVEMENTS:...(Pics of Peter's "Running Water" Gizmo..Worked pretty well...!!!

THE MEALS: Including a recipe for Hunter's Mountain Corn Chowder that I'll be posting a pictorial account of in
the Recipe Thread.

THE SCOUTING: Drizzle and cool..no mosquitoes...perfect for chasing the woods in the Summer. Took a lot of pictures of the new bog ( Al's Bog ). That's where we found the kill and the fresh scrapings along with several major muddy trails leading to it.

BASE CAMP FUN: Music: Joey came for 3 days with wife Darlene. Nice to have a companion musician for Russel. + pics of other camp activities..

AN INCREDIBLE FIND: Pics of something we lost in the deep woods 17 years ago...and the strange circumstances surrounding the find..!!!

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I`ve got so many pictures that I don't know where to start. Kevin, we were in half a dozen different barrens and some of them were loaded with Bakeapple and they were at their peak. It's the first time that we were there just at the right time to feast on them. Man, I wish you had been there...!!!

We had Herb`s memorial supper on our second night.

Lamp look familiar Kevin...? It`s an oldie....

Now that`s a Meal...!!!

1 - 20 of 297 Posts