Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
3,039 Posts
Looks like a busy Fall for you and your group, David G. Look forward to your posts. And best of luck with your hunts.

Cant imagine your luggage bill for your out west trip. lol.

For some reason, Im feeling hungry.

· Registered
3,039 Posts
LOL - brings back memories. When I was younger, some Sunday mornings Dad would cook up what I now call Sunday morning heart stopper - bacon, eggs, kidney, liver, heart, tongue, fried bread (all fried in the bacon fat). Mmmm, mm.

On occasion, he'd crack open a bottle of pickled pig's feet (couldn't convince this kid to try those lol).

Ox tail soup for lunch. Thanks for posting, DavidG.

· Registered
3,039 Posts
David G wrote:

"Even if we had never been picked again we would likely still be exploring the backwoods of Hunters' Mountain. It's 400 miles from home and like a whole different world. It's just fun to be there and you never know what you're going to find..."

"You can never know too much about the woods you plan on hunting. I'm 72 and still healthy and plan on doing this every year ( license or no license) until I can no longer walk."

x 1000 - great stuff. That's what its all about!

Nice spread of food - like those palm trees.

· Registered
3,039 Posts
Nice pics - could be wrong but these C.B. moose look more brown in color to the NL moose which seems more grey. Also the NL moose seem to be taller while the C.B. moose seem more stockier and fuller.

I haven't been lucky enough to get a C.B. tag in the last 100 or so years so just going by what I see in the pics compared to what I've shot in NL. Also, some say they taste a little different ...? And good luck to Gilbert with his health.
just checked our pics/vids (live & dead moose) of CB & Nfld moose - not all but most CB moose have brown on back with darker (black?) down sides. The Nfld moose are darker looking but maybe that was due to wetter weather conditions or maybe the camera/photographer. As far as size goes, my take is - moose from both places are just plain big critters lol.

· Registered
3,039 Posts
This thread is golden, IMO. To me, an integral part of hunting is the story telling & David G sure has provided us great accounts of their Highland adventures. Appreciate your sharing this stuff, David G !!

· Registered
3,039 Posts
I don't know, David G - must be another chapter coming for this story. I haven't had my coffee yet so maybe my eyes are playing tricks but I see a grizzly bear guarding some geese, with a gun, ghillie suit and no hunter???

· Registered
3,039 Posts
awesome, David - pat on the back for showing them stuff in our outdoor world.

the orange hats remind me when my kids were young - made sure they were wearing them in case they strayed off in the woods or in crowds.

· Registered
3,039 Posts
LOL - I found a box of those plastic fittings last Spring, in my shed - bunch of stuff from when Dad passed and I cleaned out his shed. Was wondering why there were brand new, never used. Built a 10x8 greenhouse with them.......

Looking forward to the rest of the story, DG - always impressed on your record of pics.

· Registered
3,039 Posts
I asked about an alternative because sounds like there's no support from the owners of this site. I like this site - not looking to leave/change on a whim. However, if it cant accommodate sign in/participation of existing & new members then maybe its time to consider other options.

Beaverhunter - it interests me if the owners of this site can't get their sht together.

· Registered
3,039 Posts
We debone most of the deer and trim off all fat. Fat & Suet feeds woodpeckers, Canada jays, chickadees, etc in backyard.

Past couple years been making broth from the bones - cut into pieces,brown in oven then simmer (do not boil) in water for several hours with a touch of apple cider vinegar. Use the broth for braising (cast iron pot slow cooking in oven) & soup stock. The juice from the braising pot is kept for future cooking too.

· Registered
3,039 Posts
100% agree, Kevin - good post!

Whether the person only posted up something once or there's ongoing threads like David G's, Pete's etc this site is a wealth of info for all facets of hunting related stuff.

Im also impressed by the amount of times doing a googly search that this site will come up on the 1st page of a lot of searches. BIG thank you to all who take the time to post!!

· Registered
3,039 Posts
You kidding? That bear has heard/smelled all those great scoffs you make on thoseHighlands trips and was coming a run-in for some grub. LOL.

Nice job you guys on refreshing the sign for the old cabin site. Cool seeing the old chimney still standing.

· Registered
3,039 Posts
good ol'carnation milk gets rid of that tinny taste in your mouth, I guess. LOL.

"Whether it's fishing, canoe tripping, hunting, or any other hobby; success and enjoyment comes from the people and the process...not just the results. " yep, I hear that!!

Great stuff, David - thanks for posting.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts