Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
I talk to Dave on a weekly basis and still i find myself at work drinking coffee and going over this same tread over and over...lol This year they will also include in there breakfast menue a good serving of home made bacon. I'm working on the recepie (a bit to salty end product) but I'm 98% there with the rest and the price..... well it's right.

· Registered
222 Posts
As David’s rest’s and prepares for his surgery prep work for the summer and fall trips continues on. This summer I will accompanied by my girlfriend and daughter (9 years old).
The plan is to update the stand at the honey hole check trail cams and of course trout fishing. It will be my daughters 3rd summer trip to the highlands and she wouldn’t miss it for anything.

this summers meals will look a bit different as I aim to keep it very simple and easy. The picture below is 2 2lbMac and cheese pre cooked (this weeks left overs). In both bags there’s the cooked meal Along with extra cheese. The process couldn’t be easier, once on the mountain the frozen vaccine sealed meal gets put in a pot and boiled for 10-15min. Open the bag and serve easy hot home cooked meal.

· Registered
222 Posts
Summer trip!

In mid august we set out on our summer trip along with gear and provisions to rebuild the tree stand at the honey hole. It was originally built quite some time ago when Pete accompanied the crew on the hunting trips and has served the teams well along the years with multiple moose shot from it.
In the last few years it was getting in rough shape and1 of the three trees keeping it up has died. With new cross members new plywood and the addition of 2 posts (which now carries the weight the dead tree initially had) we have a very solid platform a full 4x8 feet wide. The first tree stand was in more of a triangle shape making it a very tight squeeze for 2 ppl. That issue has now been resolved.

· Registered
222 Posts
What a Wonderfully hunt this fall. As Dave noted it started off with a “challenge” right off the bat when my trailer axel failed. The frame and everything else was completely rebuilt and I had plans to upgrade the axle this year but it didn’t quite make it that long.

This season we made a few major upgrades to the galley tent that made the Hunt very comfortable which we will recount shortly. I will get together with Dave and compare our pictures have a cold drink of scotch and recount the falls activities.
For now I will leave you with a few pictures of the meal prep. Deer breakfast sausage with Dave’s recipe that’s posted on this very tread.

Food Ingredient Recipe Staple food Tableware

Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Kitchen appliance

· Registered
222 Posts
Winter of 2020 wasn’t very nice on the old square back canoe. The snow had all but destroyed it and it was unusable during the summer scouting trip. It was loaded up and transported home were it got a total face lift during spring 2021.
After some serious grinding there were well over 30 holes of varying sizes in the hull but I was happy with what I had to work with and pushed on. I had left over resin and Dave had cloth so the repair cost very little to accomplish.
There are 3 keel’s on this canoe all of which had holes in them so I decided to fill them with 2 part fibreglass foam, this sealed the holes and provided ridgidity to the hull.

With the keels filled I then Fibetglased the inside of the canoe sealing off any remaining holes followed by the exterior finish of polyfair to smooth it out and a fresh paint job.

The old square back canoe was now ready for the pilgrimage to hunters mountain this summer.
Wood Automotive lighting Road surface Bumper Asphalt
Tire Hood Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Boat Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Art Motor vehicle
Boat Wood Naval architecture Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Motor vehicle

· Registered
222 Posts
Dave if only that grill could talk!!! It’s cooked all sorts of wild game even frog legs and fed many hungry mouths on its adventures! Eric’s meal is no exception it makes me sad I wasn’t able to stay a few extra days on that cold wet trip.

Pictured bellow is the gang eating freshly grilled frog legs at 3Am.

· Registered
222 Posts
Dave if only that grill could talk!!! It’s cooked all sorts of wild game even frog legs have been cooked on it and fed many hungry mouths on its adventures! Eric’s meal is no exception it makes me sad I wasn’t able to stay a few extra days on that cold wet trip.
Smile Shorts Shirt Muscle Tableware

Hand Arm Microphone Muscle Shorts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts