Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
741 - 760 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
thinking you can give advice on this one DavidG - I'm buying a new carbon steel frypan for our moose trip this Fall - trashing the teflon coated. I know zero about these pans and Im hearing they should be seasoned. Tips?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know how you feel, David. Due to a second CT scan they discovered an aortic aneurysm in me. Mine is a result of a birth defect in the aortic valve. I'm not even 50 yet and will be getting cracked open when the surgeon gets back from vacation. Glad they found it. Could have went the way of Alan Thicke and John Ritter. Good luck to you!

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Sorry to hear that Dave. Thoughts and prayers 🙏 for you and a speedy recovery as well !!
One day to the next you just never know what's around the next bend. Make the best of things while you can should be a priority on everyone's list.
My daughters bf was in the hospital to see his dad yesterday.. they just moved him into palliative care for his last few weeks...months. He got a call last nite he had passed. He wasn't good by any means...but no one figured he go that quick. Certainly put the kai-bosh to a great day.

Take care bud...and please keep us posted...when you can. 🙏🙏🙏🙏

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Trip D...you guys are a rare breed...fosho 🤪🤪

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
"Like WTF if you enjoy it do it! My father had a heart attack one year. The doc told he could not hunt that year.First day of the season he was a mile and a half back in the woods to his fav spot. FK the doctors he said."

Tripple D...You are sooooooooo Wrong...!!! Enjoying it doesn't have to mean 'dying' for it. There's more to life than hunting...
Exactly. No one loved guns and hunting as much as I did but none of it is any good if you are dead and I have had at least two events if I had of been in the woods and not so close to a hospital would be gone today no question in my mind
You are so right
How can you be in such bad shape and not know it...??

That was my case also. Finally passed out blaming the cancer for it but went to the ER and I had a new problem blood pressure 260/160 when I got to the ER and they kept me in for 3 days trying to get it down so I would not take a stroke and battling it ever since. Spikes for no reason regardless of all the pills I take
Take care and very sorry to hear about your condition and my thoughts and prayers are also with you
Joe

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
sorry to hear, DavidG - wishing you the best of luck with the operation and recovery.

as most are aware, your health (physical & mental) is THE most important thing that affects your life and ones around us. We take it for Granted until things go sideways - more emphasis should be on another G word - grateful - for those good days.

hope to see you posting more - all the best.
Well said Gary
Unfortunately many times we have to get real sick to see what is really important
Take care

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
"Like WTF if you enjoy it do it! My father had a heart attack one year. The doc told he could not hunt that year.First day of the season he was a mile and a half back in the woods to his fav spot. FK the doctors he said."

Tripple D...You are sooooooooo Wrong...!!! Enjoying it doesn't have to mean 'dying' for it. There's more to life than hunting...
First off hope you all the best in your upcoming operation and for a speedy and full recovery.

Don’t remember posting that in this thread or in any response to you. Your current condition is different and will probably and hopefully save your life. Thereby allowing you to hunt another year. With my father life was simple as he would say - “ if I can’t do the things I enjoy then just bury me now”. He lived for hunting season.

I was born with a heart murmur and have lived with it throughout my life. After reading this perhaps it’s time to have it checked out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First off hope you all the best in your upcoming operation and for a speedy and full recovery.

Don’t remember posting that in this thread or in any response to you. Your current condition is different and will probably and hopefully save your life. Thereby allowing you to hunt another year. With my father life was simple as he would say - “ if I can’t do the things I enjoy then just bury me now”. He lived for hunting season.

I was born with a heart murmur and have lived with it throughout my life. After reading this perhaps it’s time to have it checked out.

DDD,

I apologize for posting that and will delete it. I was in a pretty dark emotional state after my diagnosis. After entering my post I was surfing NSh.com just to try and get distracted a bit and when I read your entry on another thread it just struck a nerve.

I know that you never would have posted that as a response to my account but that's how it may appear to others. And that really would be unfair to you. My bad and I'm sorry for inserting it here.

I appreciate the fact that you didn't react more negatively for something that was clearly unfair to you and
I'm grateful for your kind thoughts.

You can never have too many medical check-ups. There are things in the body that cannot be repaired once they're broken. I have a friend whose heart muscle is only working at 60%. Waited too long before being checked and all the while his heart tissue was basically dying. He's still alive but with a heart pacer and all kinds of medication. The whole scenario could have been avoided had he gone to the doctor earlier.

All the best DDD...and do have that murmur checked.

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
DDD,

I apologize for posting that and will delete it. I was in a pretty dark emotional state after my diagnosis. After entering my post I was surfing NSh.com just to try and get distracted a bit and when I read your entry on another thread it just struck a nerve.

I know that you never would have posted that as a response to my account but that's how it may appear to others. And that really would be unfair to you. My bad and I'm sorry for inserting it here.

I appreciate the fact that you didn't react more negatively for something that was clearly unfair to you and
I'm grateful for your kind thoughts.

You can never have too many medical check-ups. There are things in the body that cannot be repaired once they're broken. I have a friend whose heart muscle is only working at 60%. Waited too long before being checked and all the while his heart tissue was basically dying. He's still alive but with a heart pacer and all kinds of medication. The whole scenario could have been avoided had he gone to the doctor earlier.

All the best DDD...and do have that

David- thank you even though no apology was needed. I’ve learned that we are all Individuals with our own opinions and ideals. Whether someone else’s is the same or the total opposite seldom offends me, I truly believe in “ to each their own”.
I’m sure you know that myself and everyone else on this site hopes and prays that your surgery will be successful and you will have a speedy and full recovery Take care and all the best to you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry to hear, DavidG - wishing you the best of luck with the operation and recovery.

as most are aware, your health (physical & mental) is THE most important thing that affects your life and ones around us. We take it for Granted until things go sideways - more emphasis should be on another G word - grateful - for those good days.

hope to see you posting more - all the best.

You're so right Gary. I am extremely grateful that I have lived 77 years with no hospital visits or any major health issues.

I never took it for granted...only because, over the years, I've witness so many friends and family members (often times much younger than me) succumb to an unexpected medical situation. You always wonder, "Am I going to be next ?".

I feel so fortunate that this issue arrived at such a late stage in my life and that it's something that can be dealt with. Many on this site have not been that fortunate and I empathize with them.

I'll give you my take on curing that Cast iron fry pan. It's not a one shot deal. I use to believe that you could smear a bit of fat in them (once they were thoroughly cleaned) and put them in an oven at 375 F for an hour, wipe them and that was it. That would be a good start. But that's not what 'CURING' means.

Curing involves the integration of multiple very thin layers of fat to the cooking surface of the fry pan in order to fill in all the minute crevasses on the iron surface. After hundreds of uses, done in the right way, you'll eventually get that nice super smooth, non stick 'Patina' that characterizes a well used, old cast iron fry pan.

Give it a good cleaning with soap and a scouring pad. Rinse it clean and dry it well. This should be the only time that soap or anything abrasive ever touches the inside of that frying pan.

Do an initial cure ( plenty of info online) and USE IT..!! A LOT...!! After each use, rinse with hot water (NO SOAP), wipe dry with a soft cloth. Reapply a bit of fat and wipe the excess. Fry in it (with oil or shortening) as often as you can before your hunt and it should start to be in good shape by your hunt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi folks,

I appreciate all the kind thoughts and best wishes. Thanks all.

Just an update on my situation.

Was suppose to have surgery to-day ( Aortic valve replacement and 2 bypasses) but it was rescheduled due to an emergency last night. Looking at hrs…or days..???

In the meantime, I’m going to relax and keep occupied.

I want to mention two very interesting studies that I signed up for.

The first one deals with the interaction between muscle cells and the stimulus that activates them.

For this study, I'm going to have to leave a piece of my heart with Dalhousie. During my surgery the surgeon is going to remove a very small sliver of my heart tissue. It's a study on irregular heart beats. When the heart muscle stretches, the electrical current activating the muscle cells is interrupted and this is what causes arrhythmias (irregular heartbeat). In some cases this can be deadly and is a major cause of heart attacks. They intend to take the samples they collect and stretch them and measure their electrical activity in the lab. They hope that the results of this research will help in better identifying the people that are at high risk and possibly stop the process before it becomes critical. I'll be sent a report on the results of the study likely in a year... 2 at the most.

I'm also going to be involved in another research project dealing with pain .

There's a few of us that will have surgery in the next few days that have agreed to be part of this. The research deals with testing a new pain killer. The painkiller is safe but they don't know how effective it is. It's a double blind test. That means that the doctors and nurses administering the painkiller won't know if the patient is receiving a placebo or the real thing. Only the research doctor will know who is getting what. You may get the placebo one day and the real thing the next day. There will likely be protocols to determine the level of pain that you feel so that an objective determination can be made as to its effectiveness. They assured us that this is not the only pain killer that we'll get. And they will be monitoring our pain level very closely. My thought in agreeing to this is: Hell, if you’re suffering with pain, there might as well be a purpose to it. Otherwise you’re suffering for nothing..!!! And besides, no advances in any medical treatment would ever happen if it wasn’t for people that are willing to make minor sacrifices as part of a study.

I will be receiving a biologic (pig) valve. After hearing about my participation in the pain study, my cellmate said: " Dave, I guess that really makes you a "GUINEA PIG". LOL....

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
No David not a guinea pig . You are a very special person that cares about his fellow man and willing to do what ever you can to help all
All the best in your surgery. I know you will do just fine :) since you still have a lot of moose camps to do down the road :)
Joe

·
Registered
114 Posts
Glad to hear an update from you, David! Lots of advancements have been made in Cardiology in the past number of years and I'm sure you'll be posting moose hunting stories in no time, but until then, hang in there!

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Always willing to help ! Even if it means giving away some of yourself !!! Shows the kind of person you are and everyone has come to love and respect !!
Best of luck with it all buddy...we'll be thinking of you and mentioning you in our private chats to the higher ups
🙏🙏

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Wow David ! I just got caught up on this. Best of luck going forward. >Pete

·
Registered
286 Posts
DavidG,

Hope all goes well my friend.

We talked last week for a bit regarding Heart issues. Not sure if most of you know but 5 years ago, I suffered a massive heart attack, and I was clinically dead for 45 mins. surviving 45 mins of cpr and 4 shocks, opens your eyes.

I learned to appreciate all those little things in life. I learn to enjoy people, places and things a lot more. So getting back on the horse was a big thing for me and my friends. I live a normal life but I am forever thankful for those people that helped me on that fateful day.

Dave, prayers for a speedy recovery. I know from a family perspective since I had my father and two brothers go throught major heart surgery. Take care and we will talk again my friend.

Hopefully the group takes lots of pictures and tells a great story this year.

thanks
Owen

·
Registered
12 Posts
DavidG,

Hope all goes well my friend.

We talked last week for a bit regarding Heart issues. Not sure if most of you know but 5 years ago, I suffered a massive heart attack, and I was clinically dead for 45 mins. surviving 45 mins of cpr and 4 shocks, opens your eyes.

I learned to appreciate all those little things in life. I learn to enjoy people, places and things a lot more. So getting back on the horse was a big thing for me and my friends. I live a normal life but I am forever thankful for those people that helped me on that fateful day.

Dave, prayers for a speedy recovery. I know from a family perspective since I had my father and two brothers go throught major heart surgery. Take care and we will talk again my friend.

Hopefully the group takes lots of pictures and tells a great story this year.

thanks
Owen

Thanks Owen,

I appreciate the kind wishes Owen.

May not get to see you in the Highlands this year but, hopefully, both of us will be in a good place next year as far as health is concerned. It's reassuring to know that you're still improving and capable of returning to enjoying all the things that you liked to do...even some of the more physical activities.

I learnt a few minutes ago that I have been rescheduled for Monday morning...!! Great news...!!

One good thing about having an extended stay( 2 weeks)..it really gives you a chance to prepare. Not only because you get to talk to a multitude of nurses and doctors, but you also get to see and talk to recovering patients. And every step of the way you gain more reliable information and feel more and more reassured. I'm
more than ready...!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Owen,

I appreciate the kind wishes Owen.

May not get to see you in the Highlands this year but, hopefully, both of us will be in a good place next year as far as health is concerned. It's reassuring to know that you're still improving and capable of returning to enjoying all the things that you liked to do...even some of the more physical activities.

I learnt a few minutes ago that I have been rescheduled for Monday morning...!! Great news...!!

One good thing about having an extended stay( 2 weeks)..it really gives you a chance to prepare. Not only because you get to talk to a multitude of nurses and doctors, but you also get to see and talk to recovering patients. And every step of the way you gain more reliable information and feel more and more reassured. I'm
more than ready...!!

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
We are all pulling and praying for you David
Keep in touch when you can after surgery
All the best and Take care
Joe

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Guidance and reassurance from folk who have had, and are also, experiencing the same thing can be a great positive mental booster for you. Enjoy your weekend bud !...Like Joe said...we're all pullin for you.

741 - 760 of 803 Posts