Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
781 - 800 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #782 ·
No matter how simple your abode...THERE IS JUST NO PLACE LIKE HOME...! Second day back and healing well.

Thank you so much everyone for all the support...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Glad to hear you are in good spirits and recovering , David! May have to PM you with a few questions when you are feeling a little stronger.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #784 ·
Glad to hear you are in good spirits and recovering , David! May have to PM you with a few questions when you are feeling a little stronger.
I'm just guessing TG, but I would think that an aortic aneurysm should be a pretty easy fix as far as cardiac surgery is involved because the heart isn't involved. Your heart is likely very healthy. Once a tube is inserted in your aorta to stop it from bulging, you should be good for life.

No doubt it must have been pretty traumatic being told you needed heart surgery at such a young age. But it's not like it use to be. Heart surgery has very few complications nowadays and the treatment at QE11 is world class. You have a big advantage over guys like me because you're so young. The anesthesia and all the medication won't have lingering affects like it does on older folks.

PM me anytime. I can walk you through what to expect during the C. Intensive Care Unit (1st 24 hours after you regain consciousness)...and Intermediate Care Unit ( 24 hours - 48 hours after you regain consciousness). And then, the first few days when you're in a room again. Those days were NOT AT ALL AS BAD AS WHAT I HAD ENVISIONED.!!!

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
David how you making out young fella. Healing fast I hope !

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #787 ·
David how you making out young fella. Healing fast I hope !
DDD, if anybody facing open heart surgery has any tribulations at all...they should cast them completely aside. I feel great..!!

My family doctor took out the staples yesterday. Was able to take a full shower last night and I'm off all of the post operative medication. I'm following my walking and exercise program diligently and can feel myself getting stronger day by day. What a great feeling to have all of this behind me...!!!

I'm so glad that I received a biologic aortic valve. My own veins were used for the 2 bypasses so nothing mechanical was used. The significance of this is that there is less chance of blood clots and complications and I won't have to be on blood thinners. I'm so glad..!! Once my sternum heals, there's no reason why I shouldn't be as active as I was before...and I won't have to worry about keeling over on my next step...LOL

Thanks for asking...All the best

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
That’s awesome David! Happy to hear your well on your way to a full recovery!!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #789 ·
Since this thread has to do with 'Fare', I guess I should post the only fare related photo that I have of my stay at QE11.

While I was waiting for my surgery, I became very good friends with a patient that was in a similar situation to mine. We were in a semi private together for almost 2 weeks. I'm sure that we both recounted our whole life story more than once during those long days just waiting for our surgery to be scheduled. My buddy was originally scheduled to go after me but ended up going first.

The night before his surgery he was allowed to eat until mid-night. Our floor had a patient mini-kitchen (with fridge, toaster, tea kettle, ice machine, etc.) My family had brought various healthy snacks for me so after my buddy was prepped...I decided to put together a little snack table for him and I.

Nothing elaborate...blue cheese with crackers...fresh peach wedges...melba and tea biscuit squares with shrimp dip. I covered the little hospital table with napkins to give our buffet a more formal look...

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
That act of friendship doesn't surprise me one little bit !! GET WELL QUICKLY Dave !!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Summer trip!

In mid august we set out on our summer trip along with gear and provisions to rebuild the tree stand at the honey hole. It was originally built quite some time ago when Pete accompanied the crew on the hunting trips and has served the teams well along the years with multiple moose shot from it.
In the last few years it was getting in rough shape and1 of the three trees keeping it up has died. With new cross members new plywood and the addition of 2 posts (which now carries the weight the dead tree initially had) we have a very solid platform a full 4x8 feet wide. The first tree stand was in more of a triangle shape making it a very tight squeeze for 2 ppl. That issue has now been resolved.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Looking good ! >Pete

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
You don't need to be 30 feet up to gain a viewing advantage ! Thanks Ducker for keeping us in the loop !

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
DDD, if anybody facing open heart surgery has any tribulations at all...they should cast them completely aside. I feel great..!!

My family doctor took out the staples yesterday. Was able to take a full shower last night and I'm off all of the post operative medication. I'm following my walking and exercise program diligently and can feel myself getting stronger day by day. What a great feeling to have all of this behind me...!!!

I'm so glad that I received a biologic aortic valve. My own veins were used for the 2 bypasses so nothing mechanical was used. The significance of this is that there is less chance of blood clots and complications and I won't have to be on blood thinners. I'm so glad..!! Once my sternum heals, there's no reason why I shouldn't be as active as I was before...and I won't have to worry about keeling over on my next step...LOL

Thanks for asking...All the best
Thinking of you today and hoping your recovery is going well
All the best
Joe

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #798 ·
Thinking of you today and hoping your recovery is going well
All the best
Joe

Thanks Joe,

I'm in my 5th week of recovery and was able to make two preparations for the moose hunting crew: Moose Won Tons and Corned Moose. I still have to pace myself but man it feels good to be able to cook again and do physical stuff even if it's on a limited basis.

I don't mind the little bump in the road. Missing the moose hunt will actually give me more time to prepare for the deer hunting season. God willing, I'll be back at it next year. This would have been my 27th year going to Hunters' Mountain so I can't complain.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Thanks Joe,

I'm in my 5th week of recovery and was able to make two preparations for the moose hunting crew: Moose Won Tons and Corned Moose. I still have to pace myself but man it feels good to be able to cook again and do physical stuff even if it's on a limited basis.

I don't mind the little bump in the road. Missing the moose hunt will actually give me more time to prepare for the deer hunting season. God willing, I'll be back at it next year. This would have been my 27th year going to Hunters' Mountain so I can't complain.
Great to hear from you and that you are doing well everyone is thinking of you here :)
Funny I hear you on the past trips and not complaining. I also made 26 trips goose hunting in PEI over 22 years before my illness and although different than your moose camp felt the same to me and our crew and I miss it more than anything so can understand fully your desire to get back at it and you will
My old goose crew are all now in their mid 60's and 70's but the doc says I can make a short trip looks like next fall so going to see if I can gather up the old boys and their canes etc :D:Dand maybe we can still swat a few :) as you say God willing
Take care
Joe

·
Registered
845 Posts
DavId G. It sounds like you are well on your way to a complete recovery. You have a great attitude towards life and how to make our time on the planet matter. Moose won Tons… wow. I have served up moose in many ways but this would be a real treat… in Moose camp no less! I hope you get a nice deer this fall.

781 - 800 of 803 Posts