Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
861 - 880 of 889 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #862 ·
We would have two licenses in 2020. Christien ( a member of our team) and Cory ( a commercial fisherman that had never come with us before). Cory is an experienced hunter that had gone on a number of moose hunts in Newfoundland.

At one of our Summer meetings, Christien used Google Earth and the monitor to describe and show Cory where we were set up.

Plant Furniture Window Sharing Interaction

The logging at our old site was all done so we would be able to set up camp there. Man, it was nice to be at our old base camp again.!!

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Setting up would be a piece of cake compared to 2019. Cory would be by himself and had all his camping gear. And the rest was just our regular crew. Small group and everybody could take care of themselves.

Allain and I had rented the U-Haul seen here because his utility trailer was starting to show serious weaknesses. We were surprised at the amount of space available even though the rental wasn’t a large one.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Car

The weather was good so it didn’t take long to set up the double cabin tent.
Sky Plant community Plant Tree Slope

Tire Tent Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

For the past few years, on our summer trip, we’ve been bringing blocks of salt to all of our spots and setting up game cams.
Plant Grass Agricultural machinery Groundcover Grass family

Plant Tree Terrestrial plant Sky Natural landscape

We hadn’t even finished setting up the cabin tent when some of the guys showed up with the sd cards from the game cams...

Always an exciting time...
Hat Shorts Tent Baseball cap Tartan

Computer Personal computer Laptop Table T-shirt

Personal computer Computer Laptop Netbook Gadget

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #865 ·
It didn’t take long to establish who would hunt where. From the moment that Ducker had first stepped in the Raspberry Bog and witnessed the moose signs around it, he was determined to hunt it the first chance he got.

As was recounted previously, he got that chance in 2019 when he was Alyre’s companion and caller..

Clothing Smile Orange Sleeve Cap

His first hunt there ended with a sighting...but no moose. That sighting just reinforced Ducker's resolve to hunt the Raspberry Bog. We all knew where his hunting preference would be when he got picked in 2020.

With Cory stationed at the Honey Hole for the week, Ducker would be free to hunt at Don’s Bog and the Raspberry Bog. His father Mike and girlfriend Amanda would be his companions.

Tent Tree Plant Land lot Tarpaulin

This was our set up. The canopy and table to the right would be for tending to and re wrapping the meat.

Tarpaulin Cloud Plant community Sky Tent

Joey always prepares a few meat loaves for our first evening meal. We reheated it on the grill along with fried potatoes and grilled zucchini.

Food Ingredient Cuisine Recipe Tableware

Being back at our North Bell Lake site meant that we would be close to our fishing spots. The guys didn’t waste time. Our first breakfast...

Food Recipe Ingredient Seafood Roasting

Food Tableware Dishware Table Plate

As you can tell we didn’t have all the galley clutter present on our 2019 hunt. Big relief..!! After breakfast, several of the guys took off to fill up our water barrel.

Cargo pants Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

We would have 3 volunteers in 2020. Dale and Heather would be camping with us for the week as well as Rejean (a former companion with James’ team). All 3 were a great help to the crew.

Heather and Rejean unloading firewood...

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

Both crews headed out early on Monday morning...

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

On that first day...as the sun was coming down... we would be processing a moose at a very familiar spot...

Sky Tree Outdoor recreation Marines Recreation

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #868 ·
Was talking to Christien yesterday and he said that he had talked to you recently. We will be heading back to Hunter's Mountain middle of next month. Hope you can come for a visit. Will let you know the exact dates.

Man, can't seem to catch up on everything that needs to be done. Heart surgery saves your life but the aftermath does slow you down a bit.

Christien brought me quite a bit of left over venison, moose and bear meat from last year to cook up for our Summer trip. One of the 3 licensees is coming. He's probably the most experienced hunter that we've ever had but has never been to our spots. I'm anxious to see his reaction to the way we hunt.

We will likely be around 10 or so for the Summer trip and close to 20 for the moose hunt. With last year's acquisition of the wall tent ( heated at that..!!) Tent Town is forever evolving...

Hope to finish Cory's 2020 moose hunt soon...

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Yes Owen...I agree buddy !! Great to see your recent post ! Hope you're doin great. Say hi to Derek for me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hello Kevin,

I will let Derrick know that you said hello.

Dave, I will let u know about mid month. I mentioned it to Derrick the other day, we are still doing bass tournaments on the weekend but once Sept rolls around that get put in the back burner LOL

We are slowly adding to our Hunter Mtn cache LOl. I have to guide the second week but I am free the first week to scout and hunt

thanks

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #872 ·
Owen, I don't think that you ever saw these photos that I took of you and Derrick taken the last time that I saw you during your visit on Cory's hunt. The gang got a kick out of Derrick's decoy...LOL

Jeans Trousers Plant Shoe Car

Car Footwear Tire Wheel Land vehicle

·
Registered
295 Posts
Owen, I don't think that you ever saw these photos that I took of you and Derrick taken the last time that I saw you during your visit on Cory's hunt. The gang got a kick out of Derrick's decoy...LOL

View attachment 98430

View attachment 98431
That is Montana Moose decoy i also have another one that attaches to my bow. When appeal to all senses of the moose, sight, sound and smell, that with knowing prime areas and that moose are in area we are confident in our ability to work a moose up in frenzy

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #876 ·
Owen...Been helping my daughter Melissa weeding and tending to her oversized garden...Can't seem to catch up.!!

This isn't even a quarter of her food preserves.

Food Shelf Natural foods Ingredient Plant

We had our final meeting with the 3 licensees Wednes. All the grocery and prep lists have been passed out and a good part of the cooking is already done. Can' Wait..!!

We lost all 3 of our dining tables when the logging operations exposed our cache. So, Christien and I are in the process of putting together 3 new dining tables. Will post photos later.

Leonard Forsyte ( from Margaree forks) called me last night. He'll be helping his nephew in season 1. Hope he has a chance to visit us.

Try and pay us a visit if you have a chance. We should be all set up late day on the 23rd.

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's too bad...Dave, were the tables those 1 sheet of plywood quick set up picnic tables ??
Yeah I was wondering the same thing if they were the one piece plywood tables, u say you were gonna replace 3 table if, plywood ones I would love one made. I cant find the plans so an extra one would rock.

I will be up there on the 22 and may be able to stop in for visit, We have our youth hunt starting evening of the 22 so we have to be set up by then so I may have time. if so I will stop in with my bike!!

Hurry and catch up with 2020, cause 2021 is not done now 2022 if upon us Dave.

See u in a couple of weeks
Owen

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #879 ·
Yes, it is those plywood tables that we lost. We had been using them for over a decade and it was starting to be challenging to assemble them. Some of them were starting to be pretty wobbly. So it wasn't a big lost.

We have plenty of utility tables that we bring in but these don't work well for dining because they're too high. The plywood ones were low and could accommodate 6 people each. So we could seat 18 people at meal time.
Christien had this one at home so we'll be utilizing it this year:
Wood Shipping box Art House Floor

We're no longer leaving stuff in a cache. Most of the guys have trailers so we're going to be carting everything in from now on. We need two more dining tables so I came out with a plan last trash day when the wife decided to throw out her old ironing board. I just glued battens to the underside of a cheap piece of half inch plywood and screwed the ironing board to it from the underside.

Wood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Metal Fashion accessory

Plant Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Space

It's completely foldable...requiring no assembly...light weight...easy to store and transport...height adjustable...can accommodate 8 people and the total costs was $25.00. When I mentioned this to Christien, he got on Facebook and within a few minutes was able to secure ( for free) another one.

This is it. I gave him the other half of the sheet of plywood...He'll be assembling this one.

Window Wood Textile Flooring Floor

The tables are 2' X 6'. So now we can seat 22 people. Our dining room will be back in place..!!

Owen, we'll have the 'goose table' above so we can copy the pattern from this one. I'm sure that we could make you one after the hunt or you could copy the pattern when you visit. All that's required is a 4' X 8' X 3/4" plywood. We'll talk about it on your visit. It would be easy to copy the pattern on a sheet of meranti.

We've got most of the menu ready and frozen...turkey and stuffing is ready...Chili is done... Baked Beans are done...Chinese food is half way there...Meat (20 Lbs) for Boiled dinner is cooked and frozen along with the broth...Donair meat is done...Bear & Pork Breakfast Sausage patties are done...Meat and Barley Soup is done ( 3 Gallons)

Food Food storage Ingredient Staple food Cuisine

Salt Cod with Pork 'gratins' is still on the menu as is Rappie Pie. I just came from Christien's place and he just put this in the oven...

Kitchen appliance Home appliance Microwave oven Kitchen stove Stove

Christien and I will be making over 100 meat Won tons on his next day off... this Friday.

This is almost as much fun as the hunt..!!

861 - 880 of 889 Posts