Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
981 - 998 of 998 Posts

· Registered
4,291 Posts
seeing orange dots in my eyes this morning, lol - wow - lots of help on getting this one out.

Im a fan of knife and handsaw, in the bush, but used the recip saw on our last moose hunt - man did it make quick work of the cutting of bones & skull plate. definitely worth the extra weight.
Agree , Have several knives and folding saw at all times in the bush .

Those battery operated recip saws are awesome for that very thing

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #983 ·
Cameron’s moose was the 24th that we’ve taken at Tent Town over the past 28 years. We’re generally 5 or 6 to do the field dressing and carry. And most times the licensee’s crew is not that experienced in field dressing a large animal like a moose. 2022 was different. I was in awe looking at how smooth and quick the whole process took place.

Plant Plant community Workwear Tree Sky

We were a very large group but only one or two were novices. The majority of the group were experienced big game hunters that felt very comfortable doing this and fully trusted the knife handlers on both sides of them. Not many words were spoken...and no one was in charge...but as one pair was working on the front quarter, a second crew would be handling the hind quarter.

Plant Botany Adaptation Tree Groundcover

Plant Plant community Helmet Tree Outdoor recreation

Plant Adaptation Grass Recreation Tree

Normally. having 4 or 5 hunters, side by side, actively doing the skinning would be an accident waiting to happen. Especially if someone thinks that they need to rush. That wasn’t the case here. Everyone was very diligent and taking their time. With so many hands at work, the whole process didn’t take long.

Vertebrate Orange Mammal Yellow Plant

The carriers couldn’t wait to get the game bags filled...

Plant Hard hat Tree Workwear Outdoor recreation

Plant Tree Orange Recreation Geological phenomenon

Brad had taken care of exposing the jawbone...

Plant Plant community Shorts Organism Grass

The reciprocating saw did short work of cutting out the incisor bar...

Hunting Saw Workwear Recreation Forest

I'm not sure what Eric had in his little back pack but anyone that got close to him ended up with a beer in their hands and a big smile...LOL

Plant Tree People in nature Sky Natural landscape

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #986 · (Edited)
In most of our carries, the shooter is responsible for the antlers...2022 was no exception...

All 24 moose that we've harvested so far were carried out this way. Everyone should be made aware that it's a very challenging method of transporting a moose out of the woods...!! You can tell by looking at Cameron...
LOL...

Plant Tree Smile Wood Workwear

Helmet Plant Plant community Hard hat Natural environment

I hope that the boys never let ATV's spoil all this fun..

Clothing Workwear Plant Hard hat Glove

Plant Tree People in nature Luggage and bags Sky

Just a 'walk in the park' for Brad and his Dad...

Plant Sky People in nature Military camouflage Cloud

Don's Bog holds so many good memories...Brad ( above) is using my pack board. For years, I was the only one of the team with a carrier like this. I got it in 2009...not knowing that it would be used to carry out my first (and only) moose kill.

Brad is actually duplicating the carry that his father made that year with the same carrier...

2009... THIS WAS THE 3RD KILL AT DON'S BOG (and the second bull shot here)
Face Jeans Trousers Plant Hunting

Cloud Sky Plant Smile Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

2022...Heading back out to the trail...For most of these guys Don's Bog is just another hunting spot.
To Allain, Pete and I it's so much more...!!!

Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Workwear

· Registered
1,216 Posts
I my opinion ATV’s should not be allowed in the Highlands of Cape Breton as much of that country is a very delicate ecosystem. Besides it is a nice tradition you have established , especially with the younger generation your group seems to be mentoring in the way of “ The Hunt”. Nobody said Moose hunting was easy!

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #990 · (Edited)
Plant Cloud Sky People in nature Natural landscape

The final exit from Don’s Bog is always bittersweet. It’s nice to be successful but it’s a long year’s wait before we get to come back.

For the past several years we’ve been making 2 scouting trips, one in early Summer, and another in late Summer. This way we can set up fresh salt licks and game cams at all of our spots to see what’s happening and where...

Looking at the photos is always an exciting time...

Tartan Laptop Hat Tent Event

Plant Sky Natural landscape Elk Horn

The extraction of Cameron’s moose went so well that we were all back at the base camp before noon.

Plant Hat Wildlife biologist Falconiformes Glove

Things could not have turned out better for Steve and Cameron. I suspect that it won’t be the last that we’ll see of them. No doubt, Steve’s friends and extended family will be applying for Zone 3, Season 1 from this point on.

Success on this hunt had very little to do with the Tent Town support team. Steve had his choice of 4 promising sites. Not only did he pick the right one but he hunted it the right way. Patience, and following his gut feeling paid off. Luck had very little to do with Cameron taking down that bull.

Cloud Sky Tree Tent Plant

Thursday afternoon was perfect weather for working the meat. Steve and Cameron had used their own game bags so all those used from Wayne P’s hunt and Felix’s hunt weren’t needed. It didn’t take long for Steve’s team to unwrap this meat and ice it up.

We still had lots of frozen cooked food and plenty of snacks...

Food Selling Building Whole food Retail

We had used some of our cooked turkey for Brian’s Fricot but we still had tons left over along with stuffing and broth(for a gravy). Eric had brought 5 lbs of hot dogs so we heated that up along with a hodge podge of left overs. There was no set time to eat...both grills were pretty much filled with a variety of warm food all evening long. No one went hungry...

Thursday was a fun evening in the cabin tent ...we still had plenty to drink. Steve admitted to drinking a bit too much LOL...No one begrudged him that. Eric and I polished off the last of his Scotch...A good time was had by all...

Footwear Shoe Musical instrument Musician Guitar

By 9.30 AM on Friday most of the teams had their tent set up and personal stuff packed and ready to go. Everybody participated in taking the cabin tent down and packing all the communal stuff. It seemed like a monumental job before we started but in less than 2 hours everything was down and packed in the vehicles.

There wasn't a single pair of idle hands Friday morning...We were half a dozen to do the galley clean-up. Man, it didn't take long.!!

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Machine Room

It took less than an hour to disassemble the cabin tent. It wasn't just that we were a big group. Everybody seemed to know what to do without getting in anybody else's way. There were no idle hands...

Tarpaulin Plant community Sky Tent Tree

Our exit took place before noon...Having such a big group wasn't a hindrance...it was an asset...!!

Tentative dates are already on the table for this Summer’s trips...Can’t wait..!!

Hopefully we get to do this all over again...??!!

Water Cloud Sky Tree Natural landscape

· Registered
4,021 Posts
Looks like it's always a very fun time. Lots to do, but many hands make light work. Being successful is just a bonus. What is your secret in getting someone from your hunting party drawn every year ???? We have been applying for years and only drawn once.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #992 ·
Buckmark, it’s a numbers game, plain and simple. We only started going on a regular basis when the number of people applying became very large. It took over a decade before that happened.

This is a short account of how Tent Town came to be.

My buddy Allain got picked in 1994. We had a great time and, for 9 years after, we canvassed all of our friends to apply but never got any licenses. We were 10 to 15 applying every year. Even though we never got picked, those 9 years ended up being very fruitful over time. We’d spend a week every Summer in Hunters’ Mountain, studying topo maps, scouting areas, establishing hunting sites, and clearing trails in case we ever got picked again.

Finally in 2003, my son was picked. This is him in the back. This was our first kill at Don's Bog.

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

Then in 2005, my neighbor Nelson got picked. That’s him on the right. this was the 2nd kill at Don's Bog.

Vehicle Car Truck Motor vehicle Tree

It would be another 4 years before we were picked again. This was 2009. I was working part time at the local high school after I had retired from teaching. I managed to convince the 2 janitors and the school maintenance manager to apply. That paid off.

Joey ( the maintenance man) was picked...(Joey became a permanent member of our support team.) This was the first kill at the Honey Hole.

Deer hunting Hat Smile Reptile Plant

Billy (one of the janitors ) was also picked. Billy enjoyed the camping but he had serious heart issues that limited his ability to hunt . I ended up shooting this moose as his companion.

BILLY....RUSSEL...ME
Plant Sky Smile Hunting Natural landscape

By 2009 we had around 25 people in our pool. We’ve had licensees every year since then. We now have a licensed guide so we’ve become more than just a group of acquaintances applying together. The photos and stories of our Summer and Hunting Trips that I’ve posted on here over the years have no doubt played an important role in developing a following that has increased our pool exponentially. We've had multiple licensees for the past 5 years.

As I said at the beginning, it’s a numbers game. The probability of one individual getting picked in Zone 3 is only around 3%. By 2009, our pool had increased to around 25 people. This brought our probability of getting picked over the 50% mark. We’ve had licensees every year since then.

We’re 5 on our support team. Oddly enough, Brian and I are the only two of our team that have never been picked in 30 years.

BRIAN AND I

Clothing Car Vehicle High-visibility clothing Sleeve

· Registered
1,792 Posts
Hi David, great read as always ! We have done the same thing. I have pushed every hunter I know to apply and it has paid off with 9 trips to CB. >Pete

Reactions: 3macs1 and TrueGrit

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #996 · (Edited)
Happy Saint Patrick’s Day Everyone...!

I’ve only ever known one Irish man. His name was Tom Folly. He lived about a mile from our house and very close to where my present home is now. In fact, across the river from my house, there’s a small feeder stream that drains in the river and it’s called Folly’s Brook after this Irishman’s family.

Tom Folly was a typical Irishman. A big guy...red hair...and rosy cheeks. And I don’t think that I ever saw him that he wasn’t feeling his liquor. As a youngster, I remember him as being a very good humoured man. ( Most of us are nice when we’re drunk ).

The last year that my Dad was alive in 1989, I tended to him on a daily basis. Dad was dying of cancer and would sleep mostly during the day and be up most of the night because he was afraid of dying at night. So i would sit by his bedside and he would recount stories about the past goings on in the little villages of Lake Doucette and Salmon River. Did I ever learn a lot...!! In the 30’s and 40’s everyone went to church but being chaste was definitely a pretense. I learned who the ‘REAL’ fathers were...LOL But that’s another story...

One of the stories had to do with Tom Folly. In the 30’s Tom was responsible for picking up the mail at the train station in Hectanooga. Hectanooga is roughly 9 miles from Salmon River. Tom would leave with his horse and wagon in the morning, pick up the mail, and return in the afternoon. Nine miles was a relativity long distance to travel at that time. The bootleggers along the way broke up the monotony and, I’m sure, appeared to make the distance considerably shorter. Most days, by the time Tom picked up the mail, he was completely soused. But that didn’t matter. Once the mail was loaded up, his horse knew his way back to Salmon River. With Tom sleeping in the wagon, the horse would head back to Salmon River.

Dad said that, at the time nobody made a big deal of it, You’d see the driver-less wagon go by and you knew that it was Tom’s horse with the mail. Once the Salmon River post master took the mail, he’d send the horse on his way home with Tom still sleeping in the back. Tom would wake up in front of his barn by his house a while after...

TRUE STORY...

· Administrator
11,171 Posts
HA HA HA...Bootleggers were the mainstay in a lot of communities ! I'd like to have what they were owed and never got....lmao

981 - 998 of 998 Posts