Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Moose Hunting Fare..

131K views 1K replies 64 participants last post by  louisbear 
#1 ·
I just emailed this to my buddy Pete in NB. Just so we wouldn't duplicate anything. We'll be in the highlands all of next week...fishing and revamping our stands. This is typical of all our hunts or scouting trips to CB. We're generally 6 to 10 people and I cook for 20....you never know when you're going to have company!! And the left overs are iced up for lunch the next day...By the end of the week, there's quite a selection for lunch...!!

Every meal seen here is frozen and will be buried in ice (in a grey bin) until we reheat it. All of these meals require a minimum of cooking(boiling spaghetti..etc..) which is what you want when camping. No one wants to cook all day. At the same time, you don't want to eat hot dogs and sardines all week.

Pete normally brings all of the breakfast stuff:...bacon...eggs...pancake mix...homefries...bread for toast..etc.. We have a full breakfast every morning (usually includes trout)...We also make sure that we have plenty of fruits and vegetables.

Once we're set up for a week, we hate to waste time driving out for groceries so we try to have enough of everything, and ice to last at least a week.

See less See more
#1,001 ·
If I were hunting the Raspberry Bog mentioned above I would find a decent size point of land that “jutted out” into the bog. The point has to have enough cover to allow the moose to approach undetected. I would make my moose calls from a spot on or near the tip of this point of land. Then I would conceal myself in a spot down wind approximately a hundred meters away and wait.
I have found that moose just like other animals like to have the safety of cover “ heavily treed habitat “ especially when approaching to investigate another animals calls.
A moose answering the call in the above scenario will come and stand on the exact spot from which you made the call allowing you to remove any debris and provide yourself a clear shot.
However, sometimes a moose will not step out of the bush and will require some extra incentive such as low volume cow calls or perhaps needs to be challenged by another bull by the slapping of a paddle on some branches or some heavy grunts.
Christien’s instincts were correct, if there is good sign ,then there is moose. He stuck with it and was successful. I would love to know his technique(s) used in the raspberry bog.

#1,002 ·
Louisbear, what Christien finally ended up doing is a bit like the scenario that you describe. However, instead of setting up on a point, he used an area adjacent to the bog surrounded by plenty of cover and feed.

The key to his success was the discovery of a fairly high knoll offering a very good view of open areas in the 'raspberries' growing on the high ground next to the bog.

I was standing on top of that knoll when I took this photo of Allain and Christien.

Plant Sky Natural landscape Cloud Land lot

This is where Wayne was standing when he shot that cow...

Plant Sky Cloud Natural environment People in nature

#1,004 ·
I’m still 3 moose hunt stories behind and the 2023 season is fast approaching...

Time to get back to Cory’s 2020 hunt.

Hat Shorts Tent Tartan Baseball cap

Cory would be hunting alone. His only companions would be a few from our crew but he would be the only shooter for the first few days. As mentioned earlier, Christien (also a licensee) with his partner Amanda and his Dad Mike would end up skunked after spending most of the week at the Raspberry Bog. They also spent a bit of time at Don's Bog. Cory would have the Honey Hole all to himself.

We would be 11 in all...

3 would be volunteers that had come on previous hunts...

HEATHER AND DALE (which had partnered to take a bull in 2019 at Don’s Bog, came just to help)
Workwear Helmet Orange Gesture Hat

REJEAN which had come as a companion on our 2018 hunt also joined us.

Food Table Baseball cap Cooking Wood

Tire Vehicle Tent Automotive tire Motor vehicle

As soon as the cabin tent was set up the gang headed out to the hunting spots to get the SD cards from the game cams that we had set up during the Summer.

Tarpaulin Plant community Sky Cloud Tent

Viewing the photos is always exciting. We weren’t disappointed by what we saw.

Hat Tent Shorts Tartan Baseball cap

Personal computer Computer Laptop Netbook Gadget

Computer Personal computer Laptop Netbook Touchpad

Computer Laptop Personal computer Sleeve Netbook

Our first meal was Joey’s Meat loaf. A quick, easy dinner. I had brought a few zucchinis from my daughter’s garden and sliced up a few potatoes for home fries.

Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Cooking

Our first breakfast the next morning would include trout...as usual.

#1,005 ·
The routine during the pre hunt week-end hasn’t changed much over the years...

A hardy breakfast was the first order of the day...scramble eggs...trout...toast...fresh melon ( from my daughter’s greenhouse) and various baked sweets.

Food Recipe Ingredient Cuisine Cookware and bakeware

Food Recipe Ingredient Seafood Roasting

Food Tableware Dishware Table Plate

Christien had gotten this Red Coleman camp coffee maker.

Gas Kitchen appliance Kitchen Cookware and bakeware Machine

It uses the same carafe as the old one (on the right) that I’ve been using for decades. The attached bottle of propane makes this coffee maker very awkward to use. We ended up making all the coffee in mine and used the red one just to keep an extra carafe of coffee warm. It works OK but the attached tank and burner underneath makes it kind of cumbersome to use. I would not recommend it.

Fetching firewood and wash water are always the first priority after breakfast.

Rejean and Heather unloading slash wood from Rejean’s truck..
Tire Wheel Sky Automotive tire Vehicle

Vehicle Tire Wheel Plant Cloud

A few able bodies and the spare tire was all it took to unload the barrel of wash water...

Cargo pants Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Trousers Shoe Automotive tire

Plenty of wash water to start off the hunting week...

Automotive tire Barrel Gas Tints and shades Plant

The last little bit of preparation was hanging my welcome sign. The wife had gotten me this beach towel so I attached a welcome sign to it and hung it on the back side of the cabin tent...

Wood Tent Tree Tarpaulin Tints and shades

#1,006 ·
I was ready to post another segment of our 2020 moose hunt when my brother called to let me know about this news release. This is the 50th year of the Clare Easter Canoe Trip. My brother and I were partners on the very first one. The first day of the trip has several fairly large lakes with quite a few cottages. There are always a few people out with their boats as the canoes go by. It was quite windy to-day. That may have been a factor. This is the first time that something like this has happened in 50 years. It doesn't sound good but there's always hope that the missing person may be found alive...

Published April 7, 2023 8:48 p.m. ADT (POLICE REPORT)

A search and rescue operation is underway at a lake in Digby County, Nova Scotia for missing boater.
RCMP says a man was rescued from Eel Lake this evening but another is still missing after a boat collision on the lake which is located 8 kilometres east of Saulnierville.

Dozens of people were out on Eel Lake today as part of an annual Easter weekend canoe trip.

Meteghan RCMP, Little Brook Fire Department and other emergency responders were called to the area around 5 p.m.

An RCMP helicopter and a ground search and rescue team have been called in to assist with the search.

#1,008 ·
This report came out last evening...the status has changed from a search to a recovery. What a terrible Easter week-end for that family.

A search for a missing boater on Eel Lake near Saulnierville, N.S., continued into its second day Saturday.

RCMP Sgt. Jeff LeBlanc said around 60 people are participating in the search, with search teams from the Annapolis Valley to Yarmouth areas assisting.

LeBlanc said a helicopter from the Department of Natural Resources is also involved, as well as five boats from various fire departments.

He said RCMP are also investigating the circumstances around the incident, which RCMP learned about on Friday around 5 p.m. AT.

LeBlanc said two people were on board a 4.25-metre aluminum boat when there was a collision. He said it's unclear what the boat struck, but the two males went overboard, with one person being rescued.

LeBlanc said there's a canoeing event happening in the area, but the two boaters were not participants.

A tweet from the N.S. RCMP at 6:02 p.m. Saturday said the person has not been located. An RCMP underwater recovery team will join the search on Sunday, the tweet said.

#1,010 ·
Back to Cory’s moose hunt...

Cory’s late day kill on Monday at the Honey Hole was a carbon copy of Eric’s moose kill the previous year.

ERIC 2019

Human leg Recreation Hat Carmine Lifejacket

Both moose appeared on Monday, at the exact same spot, and late in the day.

CORY 2020

Helmet Workwear Hard hat Geological phenomenon Personal protective equipment

This is a depiction of the site... In both instances, the moose had snuck in the bog from the SE side of the stand.

HONEY HOLE

Slope Terrestrial plant Organism Land lot Grass

There was still plenty of daylight left when Cory ( alone on the stand ) spotted the young bull on the edge of the bog. As soon as he stepped out of the woods, Cory fired several shots and he dropped within a few yards from where Eric’s moose had dropped the previous year.

Ducker and his crew weren’t out of the woods when we took off for the Honey Hole to take care of Cory’s Moose. Cory and his team didn’t take time to have some corn beef and cabbage before taking off for the field dressing. There was still a bit of daylight left and we didn't want to waste it.

(the meal would have to wait )

Food Ingredient Recipe Kitchen appliance Stew

The gutting and skinning was much like the previous year...with one exception. We had enough light to do most of the field dressing and pack board preparation.

Plant community Tree People in nature Sky Plant

Cory had brought a rechargeable reciprocating saw for the bones...it saved a lot of time and worked very well.

Hat Wood Baseball cap Tool Fun

It didn’t take long before the whole moose was ready for the carry.

Shorts People in nature Leisure Boot Recreation

It was a bit drizzly by the time we ended up back at the trucks.

Plant Grass Landscape Wood Grassland

People in nature Grass Recreation Landscape Bedrock

Camouflage Squad Cargo pants Military camouflage Military uniform

#1,011 ·
We’ve gotten 4 moose in this bog over the past years. On numerous occasions, the caller at the pond has heard moose travelling along the north-east side of the pond and heading south on the east side of the bog.

Natural environment Map Land lot Terrestrial plant Font

With the prevailing winds coming from the NW, it’s possible that these moose are picking up the scent of the caller at the pond and the hunter at the stand (X) as they circle in back of them. As soon as they bypass the stand, there’s no more scent. This may signal that it is now safe to approach the call downwind from the SE side. This explanation might appear simplistic but 4 kills at this bog seem to bear this out.

#1,014 · (Edited)
I think you are right. Moose will try and get down wind of the caller as they approach. If they catch an unfamiliar scent then they become extra cautious and will often just back off. However, with repeated calling in the early mornings and evenings when the conditions are right, their curiosity and desire to mate seems to get the best of them and sometimes, even several days later, they will approach from what they consider a less threatening direction.

#1,015 ·
Louisbear, you're right. Sometimes it takes a lot of patience.

I didn't mention this, but when Eric shot his moose here in 2019, it was the first day of the second season. Eddie
( licensee on season 1) and his callers had been there calling every day for the whole week of season 1 with no results. No doubt that moose was there but It took 8 days of calling before he show up...

BACK TO THE 2020 HUNT

The meat was covered and left in back of the truck overnight.

Bumper Automotive tire Gas Sleeping bag Linens

Joey and Brian had set up this canopy and table specifically to use as a shelter to work the meat and re-wrap it for the cooler.

Property Tent Tarpaulin Sky Shade

Tent Tarpaulin Shade Sky Tints and shades

Jeans Tent Shade Tarpaulin Leisure

This group photo was taken after the icing up was done.

Plant Smile Sky Tree Cloud

Cory would leave the next morning with his moose all iced up in back of his truck.

Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

Dale and Heather ( two of our volunteers ) had brought all kinds of bottled lobster and a few salads. Midweek, it was time to use up some of this stuff. I made a lobster salad and added this to their other salads and sliced up some of the veggies that my farmer daughter had given me.

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Seafood

It looks like the crew enjoy it...LOL

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Recipe

I had a bit of left over potato salad so I prepared this for part of our lunch the next day along with fresh fruit and veggies...

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Staple food

Our evening meal would consists of a moose and barley soup that I had made and Christien’s homemade ‘thick’ onion soup. Christien’s soup was exceptional..!!

Food Ingredient Recipe Cookware and bakeware Kitchen utensil

#1,020 ·
Louisbear, you're right. Sometimes it takes a lot of patience.

I didn't mention this, but when Eric shot his moose here in 2019, it was the first day of the second season. Eddie
( licensee on season 1) and his callers had been there calling every day for the whole week of season 1 with no results. No doubt that moose was there but It took 8 days of calling before he show up...

BACK TO THE 2020 HUNT

The meat was covered and left in back of the truck overnight.

View attachment 100659

Joey and Brian had set up this canopy and table specifically to use as a shelter to work the meat and re-wrap it for the cooler.

View attachment 100660

View attachment 100661

View attachment 100662

This group photo was taken after the icing up was done.

View attachment 100663

Cory would leave the next morning with his moose all iced up in back of his truck.

View attachment 100664

Dale and Heather ( two of our volunteers ) had brought all kinds of bottled lobster and a few salads. Midweek, it was time to use up some of this stuff. I made a lobster salad and added this to their other salads and sliced up some of the veggies that my farmer daughter had given me.

View attachment 100665

It looks like the crew enjoy it...LOL

View attachment 100666

I had a bit of left over potato salad so I prepared this for part of our lunch the next day along with fresh fruit and veggies...

View attachment 100667

Our evening meal would consists of a moose and barley soup that I had made and Christien’s homemade ‘thick’ onion soup. Christien’s soup was exceptional..!!

View attachment 100668
You fellows definitely eat very well!!

#1,016 ·
David,
Great pictures and descriptions ! >Pete

#1,021 ·
"Woods travel restrictions are lifted @ 12:01 Am Monday morning as per Tim Houston , all woods travel permitted once again EXCEPT in those areas affected by EVAC or ACTIVE FIRE SITUATIONS , Fires are still banned till June 25"

Thanks for posting this on the 'Fire' thread T10g.

Great news...!! Our CB scouting trip for the 3rd week of this month is back on..!!! No camp fire but that's OK. We can still fish and walk the woods. That's all we want...

Can't wait...

#1,024 ·
Congrats Gary...!! You mentioned earlier that you were going to spend some time later this Summer on Hunters' Mountain scouting whether you got a license or not. Being in the woods is always fun but the anticipation of a hunt brings a whole new perspective to it. Enjoy your scouting and good Luck to the Stormbruin camp group. Can't wait for the story.

This was my front deck Sunday afternoon.

Plant Porch Tree Wood House

Allain came over with his jeep and trailer and we loaded all of this aboard along with Allain's stuff and dumped it in Christien's back yard.

Tire Window Vehicle Wheel Building

Christien had the back of his truck loaded right up to the tailgate. We only brought two sections of our military cabin tent but they took up over half of the space in the box. They're big and bulky.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tail & brake light

Initially , we were going to put the red canoe on the trailer but it was a bit too long so we switched the gray shorter one to the trailer in order to have easier access to the tailgate.

The heavy frame pipes for our cabin tent were attached first and the canoe secured to this.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Window Building

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive carrying rack Sky

Last minute check to make sure everything is secure and we were ready to go...

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

We left exactly at 3 AM Monday morning from Christien's house and arrived at our destination around 11.00AM

Tire Car Plant community Vehicle Plant

Brian and Tony seen here weren't going to camp with us but had driven up the day before and were planning to fish different parts of the highlands. They were waiting for us at our campsite to help set up our cabin tent and also to help with carrying some of the salt licks to our spots.

Tire Wheel Plant community Plant Tarpaulin

We had good weather so we didn't have to rush to set up our cooking and sleeping arrangement...Bit by bit
things fell in place...

Plant Tent Tarpaulin Tree Public space

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Food Gas Vehicle

#1,026 ·
Gary, a friend of Christien built it. It's not big but very sturdy.

He may have a 'pocket' built on the outside of the side posts to hold these pipes that make up the frame of our tent. Securing them is kind of cumbersome. With a 6 inch wide vertical pocket anchored to the outside posts, you could just drop them in and they'd be secure. And the storage height of the trailer wouldn't be limited the way it is now.

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Wood Track

The last part of our tent set up was placing this tarp. No rain was in the forecast but it's always good to make sure that no leaks can occur.

Sky Plant community Tent Plant Tarpaulin

We were only three, so the cooking set up was fairly simple. We placed the grill to the left in back of the tent and the mixing table alongside next to the back wall.

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Electronic instrument

Table Gas Bottle Room Tree

I set up a small wash water (with a ladle) and grey water center to the right of the mixing table...

Drinkware Automotive tire Fluid Paint Drink

Our 3 bunks were set up to the left and right of the entrance...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Tent Tints and shades

Gas Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tints and shades Automotive exterior

Our pantry was set up against the middle of the right wall...easy access from the mixing center...

Food Shelving Shelf Gas Tire

Our first main meal was home baked beans with wieners and trout and grill bread rolls...

Food Tableware Bottle Recipe Plate

We had plenty of fresh fruit so I made a rum and butter sauce ( used whiskey instead of rum) to go on a fresh fruit mixture for our dessert.
Food Tableware Ingredient Stew Soup

#1,027 ·
Gary, a friend of Christien built it. It's not big but very sturdy.

He may have a 'pocket' built on the outside of the side posts to hold these pipes that make up the frame of our tent. Securing them is kind of cumbersome. With a 6 inch wide vertical pocket anchored to the outside posts, you could just drop them in and they'd be secure. And the storage height of the trailer wouldn't be limited the way it is now.

View attachment 101116

The last part of our tent set up was placing this tarp. No rain was in the forecast but it's always good to make sure that no leaks can occur.

View attachment 101117

We were only three, so the cooking set up was fairly simple. We placed the grill to the left in back of the tent and the mixing table alongside next to the back wall.

View attachment 101118

View attachment 101119

I set up a small wash water (with a ladle) and grey water center to the right of the mixing table...

View attachment 101120

Our 3 bunks were set up to the left and right of the entrance...
View attachment 101122

View attachment 101123

Our pantry was set up against the middle of the right wall...easy access from the mixing center...

View attachment 101124

Our first main meal was home baked beans with wieners and trout and grill bread rolls...

View attachment 101125

We had plenty of fresh fruit so I made a rum and butter sauce ( used whiskey instead of rum) to go on a fresh fruit mixture for our dessert.
View attachment 101126
Damm that desert looks good!