Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple weeks a back a new friend that moved here from Ont during covid asked me about NS mushrooms and where to find them.
I said mushrooms are a fall thing. Dont waste your time. Yesterday while I was looking for a dropped piece along my logging road I seen some mushrooms. Having lived in BC i remember not to ever touch a mushroom unless you know they are safe. . I took a few pics and sent them to him. An hour later he was here. After a long walk he left with 25 lbs of botellei . Must have left 50 lbs in the woods as the worms beat us there. When he got home he cleaned them and was left with 8lbs of mushroom meat. Some looked good in bush but was a little too far along. So now I start to mushroom hunt. I have a bit of info on what to look a for in an edible mushroom and what a fresh one looks like. We did see several lite grays ones about 4-5" across with gills on the underside. He wasn't sure about them so were left behind. Any guesses as to what they are?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
this is pretty good reference Steve - might have what youre looking for.

be real careful with mushrooms - unless youre 100% sure, contact your bud or someone who knows whats what. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was looking at the bush craft site yesterday.
Seems not all safe mushrooms look like the ones in the pics. We found botelle from 1" across to 8" across. Same mushroom . Some were white inside others were yellow.
Apparently there are 100 types of botelle.
Hate to die after waiting so long to get back on the site.😃

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Was looking at the bush craft site yesterday.
Seems not all safe mushrooms look like the ones in the pics. We found botelle from 1" across to 8" across. Same mushroom . Some were white inside others were yellow.
Apparently there are 100 types of botelle.
Hate to die after waiting so long to get back on the site.😃
Are you snaring them, 12 gauge or rifle?:)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
razorbackq, are you referring to 'BOLETUS' mushrooms ? If so, you're right about the numbers. There's close to 200 different types. They're fairly common and can be found throughout the Summer and into the Fall.

Boleti have no gills. The underside of the cap consists of spongy tubes. They look like the 'Toadstools' that you see depicted in children's books.

This is Boletus edulis. One of the best for eating. If you find one that has a yellow-lime green underside and bruises dark blue...it's not edible. I don't remember the name.

Also, the underside of the cap (spongy tubes) are not edible. The whole underside peels easily off the cap. The cap is the good part.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
The good shrooms come out later they don’t taste real good but they are magic!

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
I would not know a good one from a bad one but on my bucket list to grow my own in fresh cut aspen logs and get the spawn out of quebec
Had the pricing two years ago but just didnot get the time to cut the logs
Before I die I will however
Cheers

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
mushrooms scare me, so easy to mix them up if you aren't an expert, I looked into it a few times and some poison ones look like edible ones and vice versa

·
Registered
86 Posts
razorbackq, are you referring to 'BOLETUS' mushrooms ? If so, you're right about the numbers. There's close to 200 different types. They're fairly common and can be found throughout the Summer and into the Fall.

Boleti have no gills. The underside of the cap consists of spongy tubes. They look like the 'Toadstools' that you see depicted in children's books.

View attachment 96224

This is Boletus edulis. One of the best for eating. If you find one that has a yellow-lime green underside and bruises dark blue...it's not edible. I don't remember the name.

Also, the underside of the cap (spongy tubes) are not edible. The whole underside peels easily off the cap. The cap is the good part.
The picture shown is commonly known as a king Boletes it is the only boletes that has a really good taste the others are tasteless and if the underside is red they could make you sick. My favourite is very easy to identify they are called shaggy mane they grow on old roads and heavy clay soil and need to be harvested when young and small

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked a bunch yesterday fried a few for supper and still here.. Had a couple of ones that the base turned blue I tossed them . My neighbour if they turn blue they are consumable.
He also wanted all the poinsoinous one I picked as they were hallucinogenic he said.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found several 4-6 " across smaller shafts all gill underneath lite gray in color. Any guesses .

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If the gills were pinkish-gray. It could be the horse mushroom ( Agaricus campestris)...Very good eating...

I agree with Beaverhunter and 3macs1 when it comes to eating wild mushrooms. You really need to narrow down all the characteristics that you can possibly apply to a mushroom before you can accurately identify it.

Things like: ratio of stem diameter to cap diameter, peeling cap vs non peeling, branching gills vs non branching gills, gills attached to stem vs not attached, color of spore print on white paper ( not the same as the color of the gills), habitat where it grows..etc...etc...etc... There's no easy way...

Did it look like this ?

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
I picked a bunch yesterday fried a few for supper and still here.. Had a couple of ones that the base turned blue I tossed them . My neighbour if they turn blue they are consumable.
He also wanted all the poinsoinous one I picked as they were hallucinogenic he said.
You keep experimenting with the shrooms Steve, and the coroner will be examining your spleen soon 🤣 🤣

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
Makes three of us, Love mushrooms but no experience in picking the right ones:unsure:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Couple weeks a back a new friend that moved here from Ont during covid asked me about NS mushrooms and where to find them.
I said mushrooms are a fall thing. Dont waste your time. Yesterday while I was looking for a dropped piece along my logging road I seen some mushrooms. Having lived in BC i remember not to ever touch a mushroom unless you know they are safe. . I took a few pics and sent them to him. An hour later he was here. After a long walk he left with 25 lbs of botellei . Must have left 50 lbs in the woods as the worms beat us there. When he got home he cleaned them and was left with 8lbs of mushroom meat. Some looked good in bush but was a little too far along. So now I start to mushroom hunt. I have a bit of info on what to look a for in an edible mushroom and what a fresh one looks like. We did see several lite grays ones about 4-5" across with gills on the underside. He wasn't sure about them so were left behind. Any guesses as to what they are?
Liked your post. My brother-in-law who is quite or so he thinks expert when it comes to mushrooms. Couple years back he picked some fried them ate them and swelled up like elephant man. Just saying be careful with mushrooms.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts