Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It's a boletus for sure. I'm guessing that it's the Bicolor boletus but this is just a guess...there are several boleti that are similar in appearance and you'd really need to use a reliable field guide and narrow down all the key characteristics before making a positive identification. Bicolor boletus is edible.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It does have the foam on the bottom like a boletus.
Its in the garbage pile.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I stay away from mushrooms with gills , Chantelle with ridges, Bolete with tubes and Hedgehogs with spines are safe and easy to identify have also picked and eaten Horn of plenty trumpet shape mushrooms a good book will help,

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Picked about 20 store cans worth yesterday and after boiling was about 4 can worth left. Damn shrinkage factor again.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just boiling and freezing. First pick we just fried them . I didn't realy like the taste as they didn't taste like a button mushroom from the store.. But boiling and freezing to be added to spaghetti sauces should taste great I would think. My new bud boils freezes and then when season is done thaws mixes all together and then cans them for the year. We like our store bought mushrooms and maybe use 12 cans per year in sauces . Only picked boletas so far

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
when you fry them...try adding some salt...lots of coarse black pepper and some fresh (or ground) Sage or Thyme to them...spectacular results with fresh shrooms !

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I did fry with thyme. tasted OK it was the texture I didn't like. . Didn't say that in last message.. Maybe I should have fried smaller boletas

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
We were out hunting today for shrooms found a bunch of golden chantrelles. Not what I expected them to look like.. Found more false chantrelles then the good ones but they are poisonous . Another big bag of boletas boiled off .
I cant believe the mushrooms that are out in the woods.
Most of these mushrooms were not there 3 days ago when I checked the bear bait.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Was out today with a neighbour. He picked a huge plastic bag of golden chantrelles. Hes been hunting for a few years and never seen this many.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Not a talent ..... They just grow here. Been here 10 years and never noticed the mushrooms on my property. Sure I seen a few on the SXS road but stop and look around . Was out yesterday and found over 1000 boletas that were too old . 30 -40 in groups in a 10 x 10' areas .

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Not a talent ..... They just grow here. Been here 10 years and never noticed the mushrooms on my property. Sure I seen a few on the SXS road but stop and look around . Was out yesterday and found over 1000 boletas that were too old . 30 -40 in groups in a 10 x 10' areas .
To me a talent telling good from bad . I would not know any of I tripped over them :)

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I could give you a 10 minute lesson and could be dead by supper.
Some mushrooms are no missing them . Golden chantrelles are easy to tell. Picked 2 lbs yesterday and about 10 lbs the day before.
Resized_20210722_190403.jpeg

50 inch freezer
20210720_160116.jpg

Yellow boletes and golden chantrelles
20210723_124903.jpg

2 lbs of golden chantrelles
20210723_124758.jpg

Huge one but slugs got to it first

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
20210720_152322.jpg

No one know what it is. Anyone ????

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Dried chantrelles sell for $224 a lb

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Man, those Chanterelles look good..!!!

It's too early to tell what type of mushroom that is. Keep an eye on it until you can see the color and type of gills...

I wouldn't bother with any all 'WHITE' mushrooms, especially if they're immature. The all white 'Death Angel'
(Amanita virosa) is the most virulent mushroom on earth...one bite, digested, will kill you.

This is what an immature Amanita looks like...

The mature ones look like this...

I tend to stay away from white mushrooms unless it's the Horse mushroom ( Agaricus campestris).
This one is white but the gills are pinkish brown.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
David the white mushroom in my pic get eaten by stuff before it matures . I seen one that looked the same only all chewed with holes all through it.
I am ok to leave mushrooms unknown to me in the woods. Seems the boletes are all done last 1000 I seen were just mush.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts