Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Went to the new produce place today in the park..Tomavo...Only special I saw was 10 lb beets for 4.99...we paid 7.99 three times and 6.99 2 other times for them earlier this month. I had to grab another 20 lbs...jic...LOL
happy.png
Wife was selling the 10 lb beets for $4. We sold 21 lbs of golf ball size but people didn't like them as too hard to peel. So we replaced them with bigger ones.

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
ya good price steve..but that would cost me 35 for gas...lol...and I HATE all small beets too...
tongue.png

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
I see no frills with 10 lbs of beets for 397 this week
dry.png
dry.png
dry.png

Just bottled up 6 bags of fresh cranberries yesterday.....home made bread's taking a chit kickin now
happy.png
happy.png

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
laugh.png
laugh.png
..no bud...I had 6 here that I emptied over the past couple of meals weeks
wink.png
wink.png

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Don't let anyone tell you it is too late to plant potatoes the 1st week of July as I was told many times this year

Just pulled 8 plants here in a 6 gallon tub are nice clean, pretty much no scab potatoes of a good size for thanks giving dinner

Only about 280 more plants to pull
sad.png

fb89RPn.jpg

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
I've got about the same number done with almost no pickles made
Peach marmalade
Spiced pear jam (waiting for the pears to ripen before I make more)
Rhubarb jam
Strawberry jam
Strawberry rhubarb jam
Garden chow
Applesauce
Beets
Kiwis jam
Plum jam
Millionaires pickles
Onion sauce

Mustard pickles yet to come
English b&b pickles coming
More onion sauce coming

Weve got a pantry half full and the wife thinks she can get it filled this weekend

We chop, she cooks it, we bottle, then I clean up while she's getting into the next batch
Had your spiced pear jam this morning

Good stuff
smile.png

Thank you for the jams it is greatly appreciated

Yep finally finished planting those two garlic beds you seen yesterday at 4.30
sad.png

Just have to cover with straw tomorrow and pray they grow Ok

Took a long time to get it done this year and a lot of time and too much money :(

Those white buckets that I thought had 1200 seed garlic in them had 1709 so my back and old legs are real sore

Did you get yours in

Thanks again

Joe

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
We had a good frost here this morning...only the second one this year.

Thinking about you this afternoon Joe ol boy...lol...I knocked apart my biggest garlic bulbs and a couple pretty good med ones.

I got 45-50 bulbs out of it, so I moved some stuff and got it planted an hour ago. Covered it up with a few inches of straw...I Used 1/2 of my string bean bed and a couple of fish boxes.(another experiment..lol )..string beans, carrots and potatoes seem to grow good in them and If they grow as good as the stock they came from ...I'll be thrilled.

Got a lot of "seed" too from the scapes...that's how I got this garlic started 2 yrs ago.

Made up my designated dill weed bed too while I was...took all my left over heads that were gone to seed...put away nearly 2 cups of it for next years dill pickles and string beans...shook the rest over my freshly disturbed dirt....now ...just to keep the neighbors fekkin cats outta my garden.
angry.png
..I'm sure I raked out a grocery store bag full of chit this afternoon
angry.png
angry.png

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
We had a good frost here this morning...only the second one this year.

Thinking about you this afternoon Joe ol boy...lol...I knocked apart my biggest garlic bulbs and a couple pretty good med ones.

I got 45-50 bulbs out of it, so I moved some stuff and got it planted an hour ago. Covered it up with a few inches of straw...I Used 1/2 of my string bean bed and a couple of fish boxes.(another experiment..lol )..string beans, carrots and potatoes seem to grow good in them and If they grow as good as the stock they came from ...I'll be thrilled.

Got a lot of "seed" too from the scapes...that's how I got this garlic started 2 yrs ago.

Made up my designated dill weed bed too while I was...took all my left over heads that were gone to seed...put away nearly 2 cups of it for next years dill pickles and string beans...shook the rest over my freshly disturbed dirt....now ...just to keep the neighbors fekkin cats outta my garden.
angry.png
..I'm sure I raked out a grocery store bag full of chit this afternoon
angry.png
angry.png
I was some glad to have mine done by the 16th. Especially with the snow flurries this morning

You have been doing something special for sure they say it is unheard of with most varieties of garlic and that is from a company that grows millions in canada

I wish I knew what type you have

The seeds normally will take 4/5 years to fully produce large bulbs which is why I have never used them. I need fast with my age and the need to sell them

Yes I can buy them bulbils( seeds) for 4 bucks each and get like 200 seeds from one vs like 160 bucks for garlic cloves for seeds for the same amount

However you plant seeds year 1 , year 2 you get a " round" they call it one clove, year 3 maybe 2/4 clove garlic but very small then year 4 med and finally year 5 nice large ( 3" plus ) 5 plus clove garlic

I wonder by any chance do you have elephant garlic

I am into the snowblower overhaul mode ( need two running for winter and only one done ) the last week but have not moved since I cannot walk in three days now. ( even with the pills ) Another hit of the worst gout I have ever had and again no idea why

Have to run, no crawl
sad.png
. Fish cakes for supper
smile.png

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Joe...I needed to pull 15-20 potato plants to have that many tatoes...LOL...Mine were smaller this year...not near as many, and they..seemed more scabby than other years too...not enuff water I've been told.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Joe...I needed to pull 15-20 potato plants to have that many tatoes...LOL...Mine were smaller this year...not near as many, and they..seemed more scabby than other years too...not enuff water I've been told.
Water can play a big role for sure. Check your soil PH also it may be too high . I try to get mine more acid like 5.5 - 6.0 ideally for where I plant potatoes plus now try to plant more scab resistant types which helps

I had a big problem with scab a few years back

That being said those whites are kennebec which was all I could get this year and are normally susceptible to scab and they are almost perfect. Glad one thing grew good for me this year

I still have 1/2 in the ground to take out but have given a lot away to people this year since the food bank didnot need them

Oh yes do you cut the eyes or plant the entire potato. That makes a difference on size also

Take care

https://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$Department/deptdocs.nsf/all/faq6699/$FILE/CommonScab-VarietyResistanceTable.pdf

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
usually cut the eyes...try to get at least 2 or more per pc...let em crust over for a day after I cut them

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
oh.....I usually only plant Chieftans, Russets and Ermosas (when I can get em)

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
usually cut the eyes...try to get at least 2 or more per pc...let em crust over for a day after I cut them
We must have had the same grand parents :)

My grandmother always said 2 eyes per piece and three pieces per hole for the biggest potatoes

One whole potato lots of small potatoes which is fine also if one likes that

I do the same as you

Cheers

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
oh.....I usually only plant Chieftans, Russets and Ermosas (when I can get em)
Chieftans are my favorite red also but could not get them this year. I like russets but mama hates them so I only plant a few

bubba 682 took a few I think this year I wonder how they grew for him

Had a 1187 dropped off last night friend of a friend. Never seen anything like it

Bought new in 1992, duck hunted every year since maybe two boxes a year and never never never cleaned, barrel never off it. Honest

Here because the hammer in the trigger is not setting

Took 2 hours to get the barrel off and cannot get the trigger pins to budge which has never happened to me before of 100's of this style I have had apart

Soaking now but honestly think I will have to drill the pins out

Unreal. Never would I think a remington semi would function as dirty as this thing is

Proves like levers these are good paddles for boats also :(

Cheers

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Shouldn't be too much plastic in that trigger group to worry about.....sounds like it needs a good soaking in Ed's Red...CLP or Breakfree

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Shouldn't be too much plastic in that trigger group to worry about.....sounds like it needs a good soaking in Ed's Red...CLP or Breakfree
Yep no plastic just got in a year before they came I think 93

I have a lot of extra 1100 triggers but no 1187 but I think they are the same

I hope so if not it is going to be.
laugh.png
Gun is not worth a new $150.00 trigger

Whole receiver is soaking in diesel as we speak

Those pins will be as hard as the hobs of hell but I have cobalt bits so will just take my time in the press if I have to

Some should not be allowed to own a gun from seeing this

Joke is he says those dam junk remington semi's
wacko.png

Take care

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
I got her Kevin. Lots of pounding :( and brass wire brush cleaning on the drill and a new viton O - ring and she is now cycling and shooting as a good clean remington semi should
smile.png

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
good stuff Joe !

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
good stuff Joe !
Thanks Kevin

Made me happy but quite sad when I dropped it off

The dude I have known all my life and never shows any emotion or thanks you for anything normally

He was that excited that I fixed it and must have thanked me 100 times

Then he says if you could not fix it my hunting was done since there is no where to get it fixed here. At my age and how I feel I may have two or three years left at best and was not going to spend the money on a new gun for that

I was done

Tomorrow with the gun fixed and all the rain coming I will be in the blind once again. Thank you

Took his offering of bottled beets in exchange for the work ( lol which I have tons of my own) and left

All I kept thinking of driving home is many of us here also best enjoy it while we can at our ages

Man time goes by quickly

Cheers

121 - 140 of 143 Posts