Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

My Homemade E-Caller

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Rottweiler 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I have been spending a bit of time with this project, as work slowed down I decided to try a go at making my own E-Caller. This will work with MP3 players, CD players, Smart Phones, Black Berrys Etc. And I can add as many sounds as I like for free, also control it up to 50 + feet away from me. Still have some testing to do with it but would like to know from other hunters/ Trappers what you guys think. The Video is almost 7 mins long, showing what I added to this and many different sounds playing. Although the camera does no justice to it, as it is MUCH louder in real time. Please let me know what you think so far, good or bad. Thank You.
Rottweiler.

#3 ·
Half MacGyver and half inspector gadget!Good stuff,sounds great.

#6 ·
Got the board from an old 80's cassette caller, the old one had a 12 volt battery, 12v out socket and a few other things I didn't feel needed for this, the old one weighed about 12 to 14 pounds but didn't work due to battery was dead and couldn't find a replacment. But it wouldnt be hard to make this with a bread board, few resistors, capacitors etcc, and a bit of soldering experience. Thanks for the props people, I will sound test it at my friends who does music/ vocalization for 30 years, he has the gear to tell me the Hertz, which make the biggest difference in sound IMO. I let ya's know as it comes along, can't wait to let that challenge bark go in the field.

#7 ·
Believe it or not but I have been using that same battery ( Dollar Store battery ) Since I started this thing, Have been checking it with multi meters and couldn't beleive the slow draw on it, now putting it in the cold will be another thing. I am going to buy a good duracell 9v and play the 30 min sequence on lound and time the battery and check at intervails with my meters and let you know how long straight loud usuage time I get out of it. Thanks.

#9 ·
I just down loaded a Predator Hunting Call App on my BlackBerry for $2.99, it has a distressed fawn, cottontail, bobcat, etc and some coyote calls. I'm going to buy a bluetooth speaker from future shop for $40 and give that a try. The speaker can be up to 30 ft away and has a 6-8 hrs charge.

#12 ·
The $38 one is 2.2 watts, there a couple at $60 that are 3 watts. But I may go with a "mighty dwarf" speaker. Youtube it, they are amazing. They stick to almost anything which amplifies the sound. Wooden patios, frisbees, kayaks, etc are shown on Youtube. I'm thinking a plastic 5 gallon bucket would work well. They go for $65 (wired) or $120 (bluetooth).

#16 ·
If your talking of the siren call itself there are 2 on varmit als page, as far as a real siren, ebay or google online suppliers.

#15 ·
after watching this video and a couple other how to's i was inspired to try and make my own e-caller and failed miserably. but then i found a megaphone on amazon on sale from $100 for $60 that had a built in aux jack after a quick download of sounds onto my phone she was finished. works pretty well the only short fall is i have to be right next to it because ht elongest aux cable i have is about 4ft long. anyone know if you can get bluetooth aux connectors?

#17 ·
You can buy extra aux male to female cables in 10 foot lenghts. or if it was me, I would just buy 16 gauge speaker wire and solder a male 1/8 jack to one end and hard wire the other to the horn. This is much cheaper then BT, and this way you know your exact distance from device, hit and miss I found with blue tooth, just a snow fall can mess up the distance to and from, I know this from experience. I WANT to be able to stop that sucker or lower it fast when I see my target, not hope I'm still within range, which happened to me, in he started and could get no response from controller due to a very light snowfall, he turned tail fast, last I saw em, didn't blame em..lol, he busted me. JMO.

#20 ·
Don't think the CD/DVD drive amps run off 12V, I would have to check with multi meters to the power in cable to the drive in a running PC to be sure though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.