Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hang in there Thunderstick, you will recover. I know because I had a similar experience back in 2006. My wife was away and I was building a rock wall beside our house when I suddenly had chest pains ,shortness of breath and broke out in a cold sweat, and felt completely drained of energy. I had to sit down for about 15 min before I felt that I could walk to the house door about 20 feet away. We live 25 miles from the hospital out on a lake and there was no other houses around so I drove my truck to the hospital. They gave me somethings and then quickly sent me to Halifax by ambulance, where they wipped me on the table and inserted 2 stints to clear blockages. Up to that point of the attack I had no idea that anything was wrong with me.That was 16 years ago and I have had no problems since. I'm 82 now and I feel great and do whatever I feel like doing. I too was a non drinker, non smoker and was what I thought in good shape before it happened.
That sounds promising. Did you change your lifestyle in any way like food etc? I am throwing all the bad stuff out:)

·
Registered
410 Posts
I avoid greasy foods,butter, deep fried foods,things like that, but not much else. I take a 81mg aspirin every evening before bed. Use to take it in the morning but read a good report that most heart attacks happen at night and they recommend an aspirin before bed. If we go out somewhere I eat what they have, I don`t make a big deal that I cant eat what they have. The odd meal is not going to hurt you, just dont make a habit of eating bad foods on a regular basis. I work a lot as I have a large property to look after, but if I start to feel a little tired I do something else and come back later an finish the job. Take care of yourself and you will be fine, don`t spend time worrying about something that you can`t change anyways. Lots of life ahead of you yet.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I avoid greasy foods,butter, deep fried foods,things like that, but not much else. I take a 81mg aspirin every evening before bed. Use to take it in the morning but read a good report that most heart attacks happen at night and they recommend an aspirin before bed. If we go out somewhere I eat what they have, I don`t make a big deal that I cant eat what they have. The odd meal is not going to hurt you, just dont make a habit of eating bad foods on a regular basis. I work a lot as I have a large property to look after, but if I start to feel a little tired I do something else and come back later an finish the job. Take care of yourself and you will be fine, don`t spend time worrying about something that you can`t change anyways. Lots of life ahead of you yet.
Great advice, thanks. We started by getting rid of anything that has sugar in the house, and eliminating what you had mentioned. I have gone two weeks without a coffee, and now at least the headache withdrawal has stopped The wife is a wicked cook, and is looking to change it up so any baked goods to be only the real healthy kind, sugar free. She says its about moderation not cold turkey, but this has pissed me off. The last couple years I had hit a tired stretch, loaded up with vitamins and kept going, lifting heavy things, out in the sun long hours non stop, guess it was a slow down sign.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
My take
Just take your time thunderstick it is going to take time to get over this ( and you will ) and go easy and wait for your doctor to see what if anything you will have to change in your life style from food etc etc. We are all different and one pill or approach doesn't work on us the same
No I have not had a heart attack but did get a rare form of pancreas cancer and given 2 years to live in 2004
Like you man was I pissed off, slab of muscle eating more spinach than popeye and a picture of health, no family history of cancer didnot smoke , drink etc etc
WTF happened
Then my doc says one day Joe you are looking at it all wrong. It is because you did all of those things you are still here so keep doing them and guess what 17 years later I am still here so he was right
Stop being so hard on your self my friend so early on. You have been through a very serious event which would have killed the average man. My mom had a similar event and operation three years ago and yes she is older but says it took her about 2 years to feel the same again
My self I think the blue locktite kept you here :)
All the best and please take is slow and easy and stop being so hard on your self. They may never find out WHY it happened but it did and I for one am glad you are still with us and DD is bang on about worrying about something we cannot change. But don;t know anyone who doesn't look at life different after which is a good thing IMHO
I know for me I thank god now for every day I get and take nothing for granted. Time to let that bear carry you for a while
I bet he is beautiful and huge now

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So how are you doing . I hope you are starting to feel a little better
take care
I am still under the weather. I feel about 20% of how I felt before. Still the pain in my back and chest, and no where's to go. Our hospital is shut down and the medical staff sent to Valley regional hospital. I am hoping its all the stuff that I have been given, like the meds to be taken daily. I never had a good stomach for that stuff, some days feels like an ulcer. Heart burn, burping. Not what one wants to feel like. My neighbor just got taken away in the ambulance, same thing, in Halifax being operated on. Only 55. We are posting the house and getting off this GD street.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I am still under the weather. I feel about 20% of how I felt before. Still the pain in my back and chest, and no where's to go. Our hospital is shut down and the medical staff sent to Valley regional hospital. I am hoping its all the stuff that I have been given, like the meds to be taken daily. I never had a good stomach for that stuff, some days feels like an ulcer. Heart burn, burping. Not what one wants to feel like. My neighbor just got taken away in the ambulance, same thing, in Halifax being operated on. Only 55. We are posting the house and getting off this GD street.
The less stress the better my good friend , Keep your spirits high and thoughts positive , with good fortune you will heal up quickly and get back to your normal self .

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
I know it is very hard but it has not been more than a few weeks so take it easy and try if possible to keep your mind off it and try to stop comparing to what you were like prior it is not going to come back quickly
You brushed death so going to take time to get back
If you can try to stay busy doing even the smallest thing. I f'n hate flowers but it keeps me in a good place and my mind off how I feel
The meds are worse than anything in my experience especially to those that have never taken any prior
Take care of your self and please keep all of us informed of your progress since we care about you big time
How about some new dog pics someday when you feel a bit better all the best Joe

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well I feel like I hit 80-90 %. Went to the range but it was tiresome the walking back and forth to the targets, went with a buddy in my side by side fishing. Could hop across the tops of the rocks so I see progress. Was tired the next day, but it is a lot of bouncing around Walking the dog twice a day now with no issues, may start my on walking program again soon. Hoping to be 100% for the fall chasing those great horned ghosts:)

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Well I feel like I hit 80-90 %. Went to the range but it was tiresome the walking back and forth to the targets, went with a buddy in my side by side fishing. Could hop across the tops of the rocks so I see progress. Was tired the next day, but it is a lot of bouncing around Walking the dog twice a day now with no issues, may start my on walking program again soon. Hoping to be 100% for the fall chasing those great horned ghosts:)
Man am I ever glad to read this. Keep it slow my friend and you will be chasing those ghosts before you know it
take care

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Sounds like steady progress. Good to hear. >Pete

21 - 32 of 32 Posts