Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a yellow Labrador puppy and i was wondering if anyone had some good names. I can't figure out what to call him and want to find the perfect name. What do you think are some good hunting dog names?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Dee O Gee

·
Administrator
10,319 Posts
DAMMIT !!

.....you know....." sit DAMMIT " ..........come here... " DAMMIT ".......did you crap on the frikken carpet...DAMMIT ? :p

·
Registered
439 Posts
On the face of it this seems like a simple enough question but a dogs name has to meet certain criteria. A field dogs name should be easy to say, have a tone that makes the dog want to obey commands and is one that reflects a field dogs personality. There are some good names here for a Lab so what not to use

Names that rhyme with commands can not use Rum too close to come, can not use Trit too close to sit Rover is bad for a lab or any retriever when handling commands using Over same with Mack too close with Back. Clay close to stay, Teal too close to heel'

So a name has to be given some thought. Should one go with Rock or Rocky I like the " Y " ending or sounding names these are the ones I have used. Kelly, Riley, Becky, Murphy,Holly,Casey,Maggie, Mickey,Jenny. I also have used Emma,Hanna,Muffin,Shannon and Hidi. Some of the names people chose for their pups ranged from Charlie, Stryker, Jersey, Shine, Zack, Maddy,Louie, and Rusty. These are some of the names that come to mind.

I try and stay away from show names like Lassy, Ginger, Bullet, Reddy or such things like Runt, Beer, Brew, Stoner ( yes I once met a guy whose dog was called Stoner) Poppie, Blondie, Blackie, Brownie I do like Cookie the spaniel I grew up with was a game little English Cocker chocolate brown just like a cookie.

So have some fun and pick a name that rolls off your tongue in a natural pleasing manner and one that says tthis is my dog.

The four I have now are Mickey, Molly, Jenny, and Emma. Hopefully a few more before the Summer starts nothing like a bunch of Springer pups to keep the Ol Fielddog going.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.