Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my son is pulling 50# his draw is 25" he has been shooting his .500 spine gold tips cut to 24.5" since last year. To be honest i think they are too short. he has about a half an inch between the broadhead and rest and to me that is just too close. Should I get some of the same arrows and have them cut them longer? Or go longer and up to the .400 spine. He is shooting a mission hammer with 1oo gr tips. d loop, peep, and kisser, QAD drop away. which was out of time btw. Got that straight I believe but he is a bit inconsistent for my liking.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I agree go to young guns or even H’natucks
Archery has gotten too complex with sights releases etc etc, I went back to the simplicity of recurves and long bows and wooden arrows!
No timing light required!!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Arrow makers have charts of this stuff. It is incredibly complex. Recurve isn't even the same spline on the chart as compound. Bass Pro has a poster on the wall for measuring the ideal draw length of an individual. My wife is 5' 4" and she has 27 inch draw length. I'm 5' 10" and mine would be 32 inch. We're talked to the experts at Bass Pro, the archery range, and Raven Archery, and they don't get into the same technical approach on splines which I can look up online at Easton or similar.

From the little I understand, spline is crucial mainly for longbow and recurve, not so much for compound. You need the right flex for the arrow length and draw so the arrow bends around the bow rather than glance off it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts