Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wondering if anyone knows anything about this new round being put out by Winchester, the .17 WSM? ? I guess it was at the shot show this year and its 'aimed' at predator Hunting. They are touting this round as the most powerful rimfire round in the world and fast at 3000fps. Savage is building a rifle to chamber it called the B Mag and its supposed to have some seriously awesome ballistics. Shooting like a center fire rifle?? If its true it would be great for us up here for coyotes after rifle season! Would like to know more if anyone could fill me in id appreciate it.
Orion

·
So much anger towards everything... :-(
1,572 Posts
Hey just wondering if anyone knows anything about this new round being put out by Winchester, the .17 WSM? ? I guess it was at the shot show this year and its 'aimed' at predator Hunting. They are touting this round as the most powerful rimfire round in the world and fast at 3000fps. Savage is building a rifle to chamber it called the B Mag and its supposed to have some seriously awesome ballistics. Shooting like a center fire rifle?? If its true it would be great for us up here for coyotes after rifle season! Would like to know more if anyone could fill me in id appreciate it.
Orion
It sounds great, but I'm afraid it too is a rifle and can't be used in NS after the end of March. Center fire and rim fire follow the same rules in terms of spring / summer use I'm afraid... :-(

Rob

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? My bad I thought it was rimfire or shotgun with shot!? I'm all confused!! Thanks for pointing that out!

·
So much anger towards everything... :-(
1,572 Posts
Really? My bad I thought it was rimfire or shotgun with shot!? I'm all confused!! Thanks for pointing that out!
No problem!

Here's the regs if you wanna check yourself. You should never trust anything you hear on here without checking it yourself!! :)
http://novascotia.ca/natr/hunt/pdf/HuntingSummary_2012.pdf

Other Harvestable Wildlife
1. While hunting "Other Harvestable Wildlife" you may possess:
• a shotgun loaded with shot
• a bow and arrows with or without a broadheads; 47
• a crossbow and bolts or arrows with or without
broadheads; or
• a rim fire rifle of .22 calibre or smaller or a muzzle
loaded rifle of .40 calibre or less from October 15 to
the last day of March of the year following.

2. After the close of the open season for hunting deer, until
March 31 of the year following, a person may, while hunting
coyote use a center-fire, rimfire or muzzle loaded rifle or
shotgun with slugs or ball.

3. Anyone who holds a valid hunting licence may, during the
open season for big or small game, hunt "Other Harvestable
Wildlife" with any weapon or ammunition permitted during
those open seasons.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Peterson's Hunting has a good article on the 17WSM. The round was derived from their 25cal nail gun cartridge. It does outperform the 17HRM. The latter is a very accurate round and fun to shoot. Do I need a new 17? Do I have a gap in my gun collection? It stopped being about need some time ago. It is now just about fun.

So in my case it will come down to price for ammo. Is it significantly cheaper than my 22/250 (Winchester $35 for 40 rounds) and are the new guns unique or particularly nice?

When I target shoot big game rounds I often start with my 17HRM. It is very accurate at 100 yards and great warm up, cheap with no recoil. If I didn't have the 17HRM I would seriously research and consider the new 17WSM. I probably will anyway.

Be safe and have fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.