Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a long time shooter but first time hunter. I figure I'll start with small game just to try it on before also going for deer. I'm just trying to get some clarity on the regulations regarding a couple things here in NS:

1) If I'm not hunting migratory birds, I can have unlimited shells in a pump shotgun, and only 5 in a semi-auto, right? Is there a max size of shot (00 Buck, #4 etc, slugs)?

2) Where to hunt? A long time hunter friend told me I can hunt anywhere on "uncultivated" land, even private land with or without the owner's permission, as long as it's not fenced in or signs posted about trespassing. He said the owner could just ask you to leave, but that's it. I know about minimum distance from schools and buildings, forest operations, golf courses, etc. Is this right?

3) This question is not about me, but a friend of my son and his dad were in the woods on their own private land, but the father had a Kriss Vector 9mm on his back for predators....is there a combination of licences/circumstances where you can walk around with pistol caliber in the woods while not hunting? I tried to wrap my head around it, but it's not for his job, and i wasn't sure if that caliber is permitted for big game.

Any info you folks could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

· Registered
2,823 Posts
Hi all,

I'm a long time shooter but first time hunter. I figure I'll start with small game just to try it on before also going for deer. I'm just trying to get some clarity on the regulations regarding a couple things here in NS:

1) If I'm not hunting migratory birds, I can have unlimited shells in a pump shotgun, and only 5 in a semi-auto, right? Is there a max size of shot (00 Buck, #4 etc, slugs)?
there is no limit in capacity unless you are in a migratory bird habitat, then youre limited to 3 nontoxic (doesnt matter if youre hunting migratory birds or not, max capacity 3)
2) Where to hunt? A long time hunter friend told me I can hunt anywhere on "uncultivated" land, even private land with or without the owner's permission, as long as it's not fenced in or signs posted about trespassing. He said the owner could just ask you to leave, but that's it. I know about minimum distance from schools and buildings, forest operations, golf courses, etc. Is this right?

Correct. But if you know its private property get permission before.

3) This question is not about me, but a friend of my son and his dad were in the woods on their own private land, but the father had a Kriss Vector 9mm on his back for predators....is there a combination of licences/circumstances where you can walk around with pistol caliber in the woods while not hunting? I tried to wrap my head around it, but it's not for his job, and i wasn't sure if that caliber is permitted for big game.

Unless he has a current wildlife stamp he isnt legal. A shotgun is legal to hunt yotes year round with certain size shot. A center fire rifle is legal (with a current habitat stamp) until end of march i believe.

Any info you folks could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
Im sure if im wrong(it happens) someone will correct me

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
where are you? Bunny season is around the corner with the hounds and im sure i might be able to get you out before its all said and done
I'm in new minas in the valley. That would be cool 😃 Do you know if there's an unallowed size of shotgun shot? I have hundreds of rounds of 00 buckshot which i guess would destroy a pheasant 😂😂😂. I'm just curious if it's forbidden to shoot or something. I realize a smaller steel birdshot would be best. Jim

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Just curious from some of the content in your posts have you taken the hunters safety course ??? and read the regs. Your answers are all there. Plus you start with that and you won't be hunting long with out huge issues
I quote
even private land with or without the owner's permission,

and on that vector they sell restricted and non restricted versions so depends on what model
Cheers

· Registered
277 Posts
I'm in new minas in the valley. That would be cool 😃 Do you know if there's an unallowed size of shotgun shot? I have hundreds of rounds of 00 buckshot which i guess would destroy a pheasant 😂😂😂. I'm just curious if it's forbidden to shoot or something. I realize a smaller steel birdshot would be best. Jim
Not to toot my own horn but I made a video for people looking to start hunting that was based on things I learned as a person getting into hunting at 50. I didn't grow up hunting. Maybe that video will help you a bit.

I'm still working on the follow-up videos but to answer some of your questions in the quoted section: your goal, as an ethical hunter, should be to harvest (kill) the animal as quickly and painlessly as possible but wasting as little meat (resource) as possible. This means using the appropriate shot size for the animal. I don't have the federal waterfowl regs in front of me but for deer, you cannot use shot. The regs I posted earlier state a single projectile. For upland birds, they are much smaller. Grouse and pheasants are usually shot with #6 to #4 shot in a 12ga. The shot load is lighter too, depending on the range you are shooting at. I have read about some hunters using long-range steel BB for pheasant if shooting through cover or long distances but, as a novice, I like a clear shot.
Others may offer better advice given their years of experience but, as a starting point, I found this chart:
Hope this helps.

· Registered
277 Posts
Not to toot my own horn but I made a video for people looking to start hunting that was based on things I learned as a person getting into hunting at 50. I didn't grow up hunting. Maybe that video will help you a bit.

I'm still working on the follow-up videos but to answer some of your questions in the quoted section: your goal, as an ethical hunter, should be to harvest (kill) the animal as quickly and painlessly as possible but wasting as little meat (resource) as possible. This means using the appropriate shot size for the animal. I don't have the federal waterfowl regs in front of me but for deer, you cannot use shot. The regs I posted earlier state a single projectile. For upland birds, they are much smaller. Grouse and pheasants are usually shot with #6 to #4 shot in a 12ga. The shot load is lighter too, depending on the range you are shooting at. I have read about some hunters using long-range steel BB for pheasant if shooting through cover or long distances but, as a novice, I like a clear shot.
Others may offer better advice given their years of experience but, as a starting point, I found this chart:
Hope this helps.
Had someone send me a private note about ammo for deer and it appears that I have misunderstood the summary regulations as posted in the hunting booklet. So, I had to go into the actual regulations for some clarification. Here is the actual part of the regulation:
Big game hunting - permitted weapons

4 (1) Subject to the Act and regulations and to subsection (5), any person may possess and use any of the following weapons and ammunition in a wildlife habitat when hunting under a licence to hunt big game, other than a licence to hunt deer under a deer hunting stamp (archery and muzzleloader), during the open season for the big game:

(a) a rifle and ammunition of .23 calibre or greater;

(b) a shotgun, of .410, 28, 20, 16, 12 or 10 gauge, using a single projectile or shot having a diameter of .24 in. or 6.10 mm (AAA or No. 4 Buckshot) or larger;
So, according to section 4(1)(b), you CAN use buckshot if it is No4 or AAA or larger for deer.
Cheers!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had someone send me a private note about ammo for deer and it appears that I have misunderstood the summary regulations as posted in the hunting booklet. So, I had to go into the actual regulations for some clarification. Here is the actual part of the regulation:

So, according to section 4(1)(b), you CAN use buckshot if it is No4 or AAA or larger for deer.
Cheers!
Thank you!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just curious from some of the content in your posts have you taken the hunters safety course ??? and read the regs. Your answers are all there.
No, I got my DNR card without the course. In addition, I don't have a firearms licence either. They just told me I look light a stand up guy and said "just go shoot whatever you want". 🙄

· Registered
17,701 Posts
No, I got my DNR card without the course. In addition, I don't have a firearms licence either. They just told me I look light a stand up guy and said "just go shoot whatever you want". 🙄
Just asking a valid question based on what I have read so far and participating in the hunters course for many years so have an understanding of what is covered since also smart ass many were grandfathered in for their wildlife card and never took a hunting course. In fact all I know my age that were hunting before the course became mandatory in 1980
So if you have both too bad you didnot pay attention when there or retrain what was taught.
Gary I think still instructs and as usual ( thank you) provided what is required and all the answers are there other than a vector on his back WTF assuming also holding another gun OMG. Must be going to run into big foot:p:p would love to see the face of a DNR officer when he sees it

· Registered
177 Posts
I personally think you should take all the courses. Some of these questions and wording don't sit right. Personally I hope I don't meet up with your friend who needs some kind of extra fire power for predators. In NS there are a number of places that come under the Federal Migratory Bird Hunting regulations because of where the place may be. Belisle Marsh about 45 minutes from New Minas, is such a place and as such even pheasants, rabbits etc small game has to be hunted with non toxic shot and max number of shells 3.That is not the only place; wise is the person who leaves the plug in their Pump or Semi. You may have the card but you and the other guy need to take the appropriate courses. You made it sound like the WRC is just thrown out there to anyone, what actually does your WRC card say and do you actually have a PAL.

· Registered
17,701 Posts
I personally think you should take all the courses. Some of these questions and wording don't sit right. Personally I hope I don't meet up with your friend who needs some kind of extra fire power for predators. In NS there are a number of places that come under the Federal Migratory Bird Hunting regulations because of where the place may be. Belisle Marsh about 45 minutes from New Minas, is such a place and as such even pheasants, rabbits etc small game has to be hunted with non toxic shot and max number of shells 3.That is not the only place; wise is the person who leaves the plug in their Pump or Semi. You may have the card but you and the other guy need to take the appropriate courses. You made it sound like the WRC is just thrown out there to anyone, what actually does your WRC card say and do you actually have a PAL.
Thank you. That is exactly why I asked the question if they took the courses since the questions being asked are NOT ones that would be asked from someone that took them
I could never understand why anyone would take the plug out for hunting in Nova Scotia and needed more than 3 rounds
I did it once when snow goose hunting in sask ( never again ) and forgot to put it back in when I returned to hunt here and freaked when loading in the blind and seen it was not put back in and went home immediately losing a good day of hunting
It was the $2700 dollar vector that got me a 10 round semi that has no place in a hunting environment in NS and designed for sports shooting, target shooting, and competition shooting.not to mention we have a 5 round max requirement. It is only even legal for purchase ( at this time ) since it has a loop hole and uses a Glock mag. That hole is being closed with the new bill c-21 and it will be five period no pinning either allowed real soon so one can assume another added to the long banned list
Take care

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Sounds to me, this guy was just looking for clarification on a few things. His answers to his own questions seem ok to me. Since I don’t hunt for waterfowl … the plugs have been out of my shotguns since new. What’s the big deal ??? I don’t think slugs are legal during bird season. Maybe they are, I don’t know. Should I take the course over ??? Buddy can hunt on private land all he wants regardless if its posted or not, except for the areas that he mentioned... and must leave if asked to by the land owner. Proper etiquette would be to ask the land owner first, but not required. There is no mag limit on pump shotguns. There is a limit on semi’s. As far as the vector goes … absolutely legal to carry. If it is slung over his back … and he is carrying another gun … one of the guns must be unloaded. With any luck … if the DNR sees the guy with the Vector … Mr. DNR won’t be a Liberal. It’s just a tool with different clothes on. Why is that so hard for the Liberals to accept ????

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Sounds to me, this guy was just looking for clarification on a few things. His answers to his own questions seem ok to me. Since I don’t hunt for waterfowl … the plugs have been out of my shotguns since new. What’s the big deal ??? I don’t think slugs are legal during bird season. Maybe they are, I don’t know. Should I take the course over ??? Buddy can hunt on private land all he wants regardless if its posted or not, except for the areas that he mentioned... and must leave if asked to by the land owner. Proper etiquette would be to ask the land owner first, but not required. There is no mag limit on pump shotguns. There is a limit on semi’s. As far as the vector goes … absolutely legal to carry. If it is slung over his back … and he is carrying another gun … one of the guns must be unloaded. With any luck … if the DNR sees the guy with the Vector … Mr. DNR won’t be a Liberal. It’s just a tool with different clothes on. Why is that so hard for the Liberals to accept ????
OH you know that do you?? What version does he have??. Guess once can carry a restricted now hunting can they or a center fire semi that hold 10 rounds even the non restricted is 10 rounds SO once bill c-21 closes that loop hole ( anytime now the final reading will happen ) she is toast with no 5 round mag
You OK your last two posts seem off for you with more than normal DAAAAAAAA content :p:pand once again has NOTHING to do with LIBERALS

Little story for you
I almost got charged by a warden a few years ago when I had a LEGAL remington 7615 223 pump out for coyotes

It had it's factory 10 round mag in it ( yep another one of those handgun loop hole mags just like the vector ) and there was no way I could convince that guy it was legal since he kept saying it was a center fire and must have 5 round mag only. I kept saying but it is not a semi it is a pump and has a legal LAR mag
VECTOR is not a pump also

It got to the point we went to the truck where I had a 5 round one in the case and switched it

Then he was happy. No 5 round I am convinced I would have been fined but did get a formal warming from the officer and never took that 10 round mag again

In 2022 DNR in NS after what we have been trough sadly would be calling in the swat team once they see a vector in the woods especially on ones back holding another gun LOADED OR NOT

AND look what is now on the RCMP site so even my old legal mag is NOW prohibited would not be shocked to find the same for the vector glock mag
Example
Remington model 7615 pump action rifle chambered for 223 Remington centre-fire calibre:

• the 10 round magazine is prohibited
  • the five round magazine is unregulated

That is reality and no you taking the course 100 times would make no difference. :p:p at this stage of your life and I have no time legal or not for anyone that hunts private property without permission. I hope they F'k with one of my old southern yank land owners living here now and all we will read is HUNTER MISSING in the paper
Christ some won't even stop packing and think they are still in west virginia and it is unreal the yanks buying this place up in the last 20 years
So best be careful IMHO. Joke is many will allow you to hunt if you ask and give them some meat but have ZERO tolerance for trespassing since that is how they see it

Oh yes on the different clothes on a tool tell that to the 1000's of owners that just had 1000's of those banned in 2020
IT is 2022 scary looking BANNED

See your old tire dudes are here trying to hire say they cannot find skilled people anywhere
Great money being offered also I am hearing. been at least 40 years since I remember them coming to the cape for a job fair

· Registered
3,437 Posts
I have no idea what model his vector is. If it is a non restricted one ... have at 'er. Yup .... it's scary looking, so sock boy and all his followers think it should be banned. It doesn't take much to stir up the DNR. A few years ago ... I was walking out of the woods when a female officer approached me. Since both of my A-Bolts have the BOSS ... she asked me what it was. I told her it was a silencer so I wouldn't offend the snowflakes if I shot. I thought she was going to break her neck, to get a look at it. We had quite a chuckle over it. I'm guessing most of the uniforms have no clue what's legal and what's not. Won't be long before all semi's will be banned, anyway.

· Registered
1,066 Posts
windigo said,”No, I got my DNR card without the course. In addition, I don't have a firearms licence either. They just told me I look light a stand up guy and said "just go shoot whatever you want". 🙄

Same here . I was lucky enough to pick a box of Cornflakes with a Nova Scotia hunter Ed. Certification inside. However, I did complete the Canada firearms safety course!

· Registered
2,823 Posts
I started hunting before the hunter ed course was mandatory but my mother (non hunter) said if i was going to bring guns into her house i was taking the course.
The firearms course was 3 evenings one week with a Saturday test that included firing a 22 at an aluminum pie plate. It was the club by rainbow haven beach.
Still have both cards here in case i ever get asked for proof lol

· Registered
1,066 Posts
I started hunting before the hunter ed course was mandatory but my mother (non hunter) said if i was going to bring guns into her house i was taking the course.
The firearms course was 3 evenings one week with a Saturday test that included firing a 22 at an aluminum pie plate. It was the club by rainbow haven beach.
Still have both cards here in case i ever get asked for proof lol
Interesting. I have in my hand a “N.S. Firearm/Hunting Certificate” Has my name and address and date of issue “July 28/78”
On the back it states” You must present this certificate to your Vendor when purchasing a hunting licence, and you must carry this certificate at all times when carrying or possessing a firearm in a game habitat”
Yes, I did attend a course for 3 evenings one week but I do not recall any range time of any kind.
Was not it mandatory to take this course at that time?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts