Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
9mm is a centerfire cartridge. You can't use any single projectile ammo to hunt birds in NS as far as I know. Small game...nothing larger than a .23 cal....9 mm is a lot bigger than that. Pretty well sums it up,..IMHO.

· Registered
3,437 Posts
After re-reading the OP … the only time that gun can be in the woods (providing it’s non restricted) … is during deer season, and the guy must possess a valid general deer license. If the magazine is not, or can not be pinned … it can not be in the woods at all. If I am not correct … I’m sure I will be corrected.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Interesting. I have in my hand a “N.S. Firearm/Hunting Certificate” Has my name and address and date of issue “July 28/78”
On the back it states” You must present this certificate to your Vendor when purchasing a hunting licence, and you must carry this certificate at all times when carrying or possessing a firearm in a game habitat”
Yes, I did attend a course for 3 evenings one week but I do not recall any range time of any kind.
Was not it mandatory to take this course at that time?
And it is white and orange made of very cheap thin plastic that normally broke in 1/2 after the first year or so. Mine did and they replaced it with this style below
My first one is 76 it looks like and I never took any formal course to get it. Just had to show licences from previous years of big and small game I purchased
There was no course here in those years to take if one wanted to and remember helping out later with some of the initial ones

· Registered
17,692 Posts
After re-reading the OP … the only time that gun can be in the woods (providing it’s non restricted) … is during deer season, and the guy must possess a valid general deer license. If the magazine is not, or can not be pinned … it can not be in the woods at all. If I am not correct … I’m sure I will be corrected.
and real soon pinning will be no longer allowed with the revisions to bill c-21
I quote

-magazine restrictions, outlawing pinned mags and requiring permanently altered instead

· Registered
17,692 Posts
9mm is a centerfire cartridge. You can't use any single projectile ammo to hunt birds in NS as far as I know. Small game...nothing larger than a .23 cal....9 mm is a lot bigger than that. Pretty well sums it up,..IMHO.
Sad how times have changed. Seagull hunting with the 22 off the boats when I was a kid was very common. I am sure at your age you did that as well :)

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
Sad how times have changed. Seagull hunting with the 22 off the boats when I was a kid was very common. I am sure at your age you did that as well :)
The only times gulls were shot round here Joe was for bait for the old leaded bait lines ...IF ...there was nothing in the herring nets they hauled on the way out to the fishing grounds. They'd gut 1 or 2 and use that for bait till they got a few fish on board. Then they'd use the maws from the fish to keep the lines baited.
Another time was when the herring season was in full swing...when it was being gibbed...then washed in the hogs tubs and then salted. If uncle and dad were in the store salting in the half barrels and the hundreds of sea gulls started swarming the hogs tubs and grabbing cleaned herring, uncle would grab the old 20 ga...drop a gull and then string him up high on the sampson post...not another gull in sight after that !!!!

· Registered
1,066 Posts
3macs1 “And it is white and orange made of very cheap thin plastic that normally broke in 1/2 after the first year or so. Mine did and they replaced it with this style below
My first one is 76 it looks like and I never took any formal course to get it. Just had to show licences from previous years of big and small game I purchased
There was no course here in those years to take if one wanted to and remember helping out later with some of the initial ones”
Yup same orange laminated cards as ive got
My first PAL was a FAC, crazy brown background
That’s the one. I remember taking the course around this time..perhaps it was for that Brown FAC that I just removed from my old wallet just a few weeks ago. Man time flies!

Brown Font Rectangle Pattern Sleeve

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
Yup same orange laminated cards as ive got
My first PAL was a FAC, crazy brown background
The FACs were printed on the same kind of textured paper as the paper money we had. RCMP station on Oxford Street in Hfx was where we had to get them. Also the same place my handguns were shipped to. They would call and tell me to pick them up when ready.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
3macs1 “And it is white and orange made of very cheap thin plastic that normally broke in 1/2 after the first year or so. Mine did and they replaced it with this style below
There was no course here in those years to take if one wanted to and remember helping out later with some of the initial ones”

That’s the one. I remember taking the course around this time..perhaps it was for that Brown FAC that I just removed from my old wallet just a few weeks ago. Man time flies!

View attachment 98879
That is the baby and the very first one issued somewhere in the 70's. Like I said mine looks like it was 76 but hard to read since 1/2 missing :)

· Registered
17,692 Posts
The FACs were printed on the same kind of textured paper as the paper money we had. RCMP station on Oxford Street in Hfx was where we had to get them. Also the same place my handguns were shipped to. They would call and tell me to pick them up when ready.
Agree. Also at least here after application I had to have a face to face meeting with a rcmp officer at the station . Not sure if that was common or because of what I owned at the time which later was called 12(2) but it happened
Cheers

· Registered
17,692 Posts
I have no idea what model his vector is. If it is a non restricted one ... have at 'er. Yup .... it's scary looking, so sock boy and all his followers think it should be banned. It doesn't take much to stir up the DNR. A few years ago ... I was walking out of the woods when a female officer approached me. Since both of my A-Bolts have the BOSS ... she asked me what it was. I told her it was a silencer so I wouldn't offend the snowflakes if I shot. I thought she was going to break her neck, to get a look at it. We had quite a chuckle over it. I'm guessing most of the uniforms have no clue what's legal and what's not. Won't be long before all semi's will be banned, anyway.
Yep heard that in the mid 60's when I was told not to buy a new 1100 since all semi's were being banned
Well never happened and enjoyed many semi's over the years and still legally own and can use 39 or 40 of them I still have including that first 1100
Yes I have two ar's this time going but 2 gone and 40 stayed I can live with that
Cheers

· Registered
17,692 Posts
The only times gulls were shot round here Joe was for bait for the old leaded bait lines ...IF ...there was nothing in the herring nets they hauled on the way out to the fishing grounds. They'd gut 1 or 2 and use that for bait till they got a few fish on board. Then they'd use the maws from the fish to keep the lines baited.
Another time was when the herring season was in full swing...when it was being gibbed...then washed in the hogs tubs and then salted. If uncle and dad were in the store salting in the half barrels and the hundreds of sea gulls started swarming the hogs tubs and grabbing cleaned herring, uncle would grab the old 20 ga...drop a gull and then string him up high on the sampson post...not another gull in sight after that !!!!
Christ after reading this I think we may have just been real bad kids :p:p Guess you never went out on the boats with the old 30/30 and 303 and shot seals either :(

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Yes I was looking for clarification, thank you. Some of the other users here seem to have taken that to mean I know nothing. Yes, I do have a PAL, an RPAL to be specific and have taken all those courses plus the hunter safety course and have my dnr card and habitat stamp and small game license. I belong to a private gun range and am also a member of the CCFR. In case they haven't noticed, the Canadian government documentation is a rat's nest of conflicting information and often nonsensical, illogical foolishness with no basis in realty. The questions I asked were to ENSURE safety and compliance, not to try to recklessly "get away with something" as it seems to have been implied. Since we're on the topic, I have several options when it comes to choice of firearm to get upland game. I have a Remington 870 pump that never even had a plug in it BTW let alone having removed one, I also have a 1953 Savage 755a semi-auto that IS plugged to 3 rounds. I also am awaiting a Mossberg 500 pump. Those are my shotgun options for birds. For other game I have a 94 Winchester 30 30, a Remington 700 in .308, a Russian SKS 7.62x39, a Savage 64 .22lr, a CZ Shadow 2 9mm, and a Ruger Mini-14 which was unfortunately banned by Great Leader until further notice.
My asking those questions was to make sure I wasn't going to inadvertently be in the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong gun and possibly projectiles. Anyway, I looked elsewhere and got to the bottom of most of it. Friday I"ll be heading to private property of a friend with permission, with the Savage 12ga semi-auto plugged to 3 shells, and steel no 6 shot. After that I'll probably branch out to other remote areas, always with my licenses, GPS, knife/waterproof matches/, and blaze orange on me and always within the bounds of the law. Thanks, Buckmark for taking the time to answer my questions. :)
You know the older savage 12ga semi's models 755A and 720 are not designed to handle any steel shot loads and could / will damage even split the barrel but bell it as a min. Put lead no.6 in it and hunt away safely
Cheers

· Registered
3,437 Posts
This is not 1960, Joe ... in case you missed the memo ... that piece of shit running the country wants to disarm the general public.... one piece at a time. He even said at one of his vote buying talks ... "he sees no reason why anyone would need to own a semi automatic rifle for hunting". The writing is on the wall. Once Pierre kicks his ass to the curb ... we should see gun talks put on the back burner.... for a while.

· Registered
17,692 Posts
This is not 1960, Joe ... in case you missed the memo ... that piece of shit running the country wants to disarm the general public.... one piece at a time. He even said at one of his vote buying talks ... "he sees no reason why anyone would need to own a semi automatic rifle for hunting". The writing is on the wall. Once Pierre kicks his ass to the curb ... we should see gun talks put on the back burner.... for a while.
Ya well why did he not take the HUNTING semi's with the last 1500 semi's he took that was the time to do it because they don't want those NEVER have and NEVER will. ANY semi designed first as a military action like my AR's are toast YES but it stops there;
The money they generate just in hunting using semi shotguns in duck and goose blinds in this country will prevent that
YOU only think the liberals are stupid but they don't cut off the hand that feeds them but nice to see you made a friend:p:p and finally found someone who thinks like you:p
AND what difference regardless if it happens will it make to you. YOU think if I was worried I would have kept 40
BEEN right so far with the moves I have made dumping over 200 since 2010 before they became rebar and kept ONLY what I will be able to use in the future. YEP some said I was an idiot also for selling off 12 handguns before the freeze and keeping just 2 was announced. NOT saying it now and the AR's I kept I knew were toast but hope I was wrong since I liked mine
IT is not hard to see what they are doing if ONE looks honestly at what they own and stay one step ahead of them moving them out before they are banned and they don't want my 7400's 1100' etc etc etc. Like that Vector how long do you think before that makes the banned list not long and why because TDI announced their development of a new submachine gun identified as the vector .The Vector is split into two major assemblies in a similar manner to the AR-15 rifle, don't care if toned down to be a non restricted it is based on a military design . They will catch up with it eventually. Christ they have added 100's since the first list in may of 2020 they missed BUT NO HUNTING SEMI's
Don't get me started on the great PP . Man are many going to be disappointed especially gun owners
Then again some think Bill gates is behind everything :p:p

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Look at what Australia banned a few years ago. They banned ALL automatic and SEMI AUTOMATIC firearms, and also ALL PUMP ACTION shotguns. If you don’t think Trudope is capable of doing that … you are delirious.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts