Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the new rifle is on order, so it's time to start looking for a scope. I figured since we haven't had one of these discussions in a while, I might as well ask - Best Scope/Rings combo for Deer hunting in this province? I'll admit I'm quite partial to Leupold - Been eyeing the VX-3HDs in 2.5-8x36mm as well as the VX-Freedom in 3-9x40mm. The only problem with Leupold now is that they all come with this new Custom Dial System (CDS) which I have heard mixed reviews on. I'm more of a "set it and forget it" type of guy. I was also just going to get Leupold Rings and Mounts but have heard a lot of people raving about Talleys? One piece or two piece? Aluminum or Steel? Let's hear it! :)

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Your first pick is also my first pick .mainly because I own the older version of the exact scope . the leupold 2.5-8x36 is just the all round great scope for wooded cover and intermediate open ground in my opinion .I have owned a couple high magnification range scopes a 5-15 x44 Bushnell and a Leupold 6.5-20x40 AO . the Leupold was a beautiful clear scope but the eye relief drove me crazy there was no happy medium between 6.5 and 20 . the the 5-15 had some what the same issue but not as bad . the 2 deer rifles I own at present a 308 Rem 600 mohawk wears vortex 2-7x33 and my Tikka t3 hunter 6.5x55 wears the leupold 2.5-8x36 .I like steel rings and bases so would go with the leupold .

Reactions: WoodsMaster

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your first pick is also my first pick .mainly because I own the older version of the exact scope . the leupold 2.5-8x36 is just the all round great scope for wooded cover and intermediate open ground in my opinion .I have owned a couple high magnification range scopes a 5-15 x44 Bushnell and a Leupold 6.5-20x40 AO . the Leupold was a beautiful clear scope but the eye relief drove me crazy there was no happy medium between 6.5 and 20 . the the 5-15 had some what the same issue but not as bad . the 2 deer rifles I own at present a 308 Rem 600 mohawk wears vortex 2-7x33 and my Tikka t3 hunter 6.5x55 wears the leupold 2.5-8x36 .I like steel rings and bases so would go with the leupold .
I like your style Rembolt, I think less is more in terms of magnification for hunting in this province. the 2.5-8 seems to be the standout here as I want a "Do-it-all" scope.

·
Administrator
10,857 Posts
Bushnell fan here. For your setup (( if you're staying with 1 inch tube)) an Elite 4500...2.5 - 10 x 40...HD Rainguard...let er pour, it won't matter when the shot presents itself !

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bushnell fan here. For your setup (( if you're staying with 1 inch tube)) an Elite 4500...2.5 - 10 x 40...HD Rainguard...let er pour, it won't matter when the shot presents itself !
I like the idea of a 2.5-10 over a 2.5-8.....Now you've got me thinking :unsure:

·
Administrator
10,857 Posts
2.5 - 10 x 40...30 mm tube !!..one better ..wink..wink..nudge..nudge

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle! You’ll get great advice on a scope from these guys. My only input would be choose carefully.
Note: Boone and Crockett will NOT score any animal taken with a rifle with the “ range dial shoot “ scope capacity mounted on it, and has deemed the use thereof as unfair chase. Be a shame to have a 190-200 class buck walk out in front of you and realize later you can’t put him in the book!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
A nice feather weight 308 Win. rifle needs a nice feather weight scope. Pick your favourite brand in a 2 x7 ( or 8 ) x 33. Wrap the scope in Talley one piece aluminum mounts. I use a Leupold Variable VX11 2 x 7 x 32 scope for deer hunting.

·
Registered
460 Posts
In Nova Scotia you will almost never get a shot at a whitetail or moose at much over 200 metres. It might happen but damm seldom. Most shots will be under 75 metres. Based on everything I've read - Lower magnification with a large objective will give you the "brightest" scope which is important for those first and last light shots. Lower magnification also gives you a wider field of view which is important when hunting in most forest conditions where shots are often under 50 metres.
So, I'd go for something in the 2.5 - 8 to10 magnification range and at least 40 objective with 50 being the preferred. This should give you all the flexibility you'll ever need for conditions in NS. For what its worth, I hunted for many years with a Bushnell fixed 2.5 scope and it was all I ever really needed. I recently put a 3-9 x 40 on the rifle which is a brighter scope but in the woods it stays on 3.
Any scope over $250 with those specs, you will be happy with. I have to agree with Kevin on Bushnell. You can easily spend a lot more but I'm not sure you get much more scope for the money.
Now, if you plan to shoot competitively at long ranges, you would probably want to spend a lot more on a scope.
Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
A nice feather weight 308 Win. rifle needs a nice feather weight scope. Pick your favourite brand in a 2 x7 ( or 8 ) x 33. Wrap the scope in Talley one piece aluminum mounts. I use a Leupold Variable VX11 2 x 7 x 32 scope for deer hunting.

agree with louisbear on this one, 100%. You got the lightweight rifle so keep the theme going with scope n mounts.
have alum 1 pc Talleys on a cpl guns & no issues.
I settled on the Leupold VX 3i for my lightweight setup however looked hard at the lightweight vortex razor too but Leupold was lighter at the time. Got Bushnell Elite on a gun and I do like their rainguard for our climate.
Decisions, decisions - Best of luck on your search.

·
GREYBEARD
3,192 Posts
I have a Leupold 2-7 that is on my favorite deer rifle with Leupold steel rings and bases.
Its a rock solid set up for a good number of years now.
I also have Bushnell 3-9 scopes with rainguard in Leupold rings and bases and they are great as well
I can tell you I prefer the Leupold and it seldom goes any higher than 3 power.
I good quality scope is well worth the money in the long run.
I am not much help, but you can't go wrong with Bushnell or Leupold.
I have never ordered a scope online as I prefer to judge optical quality in person.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats on the new rifle! You’ll get great advice on a scope from these guys. My only input would be choose carefully.
Note: Boone and Crockett will NOT score any animal taken with a rifle with the “ range dial shoot “ scope capacity mounted on it, and has deemed the use thereof as unfair chase. Be a shame to have a 190-200 class buck walk out in front of you and realize later you can’t put him in the book!
That is a very interesting point D, I guess that would eliminate any of the Leupold's with CDS. Makes narrowing down my search a little easier!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
agree with louisbear on this one, 100%. You got the lightweight rifle so keep the theme going with scope n mounts.
have alum 1 pc Talleys on a cpl guns & no issues.
I settled on the Leupold VX 3i for my lightweight setup however looked hard at the lightweight vortex razor too but Leupold was lighter at the time. Got Bushnell Elite on a gun and I do like their rainguard for our climate.
Decisions, decisions - Best of luck on your search.
Your 3xi is a 36mm correct? I think I remember you mentioning that at one point. Seems to be a happy medium between the 33mm and 40mm.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quite honestly I was expecting to hear the usual "Spend 2x the price of your rifle on a scope or else you'll regret it for the rest of you life" LOL.....Happy to see that a good scope can be had for a reasonable price nowadays. I guess you could say that it's a benefit to modern technology.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
For the average deer hunter in NS … any scope between $200 - $400 would serve you well. I don’t get the whole $1500 scope thing. If you are doing long range or competitive shooting … yes … but hunting whitetails in NS … no. This is just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
…. Also … check out gun post for scopes. I haven’t bought a new scope for some time. Some great buys on there for optics.… and some others that are not. They are asking more than what they are new.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
where do you see B&C not allowing that, TripleD.?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts