Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I'm fairly positive it's 90 degrees, but the Winchester spec sheet does not say. Extra lows may be too low in this case.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Reactions: WoodsMaster

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind when mounting your scope when you get it is ensure you mount it far enough back, I try to mount all my scopes to the rear as much as I can. Nothing worse than being dressed as the michelin man in your blind with 2 coats on and you are trying to goose neck your head far enough forward for the proper eye relief. Your LOP and eye relief can be effected by your hunting jacket(s).

·
Administrator
10,845 Posts
Seen lots of people over the years..trying to " crawl up over the stock" to get the proper eye relief. Most people looking to buy a new firearm try out guns in the warmer OFF season...with only a Tshirt on...like the beaverman says...makes a helluva big diff in your eye relief when you're dressed like the Michelin man !!
First thing I did when I got my Shaw Custom 6.5x55 was lop 3/4 inch off my stock and add a new thinline pad...the gun HAS TO FIT YOU if you want to be anyways good with it !!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Kevin they was looking for some of dat magnum eye brow. LoL .

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Woodsmaster nova tactical has a new in the box 2.5-8x36 cds Leopold . The price might sting a little . The cds model the only version of 2.5-8 x 36 they make now comes with a standard elevation dial . You get the cds part of the scope when you buy the custom dial system from leupold . Basic a dial set to a specific load .with the come ups marked into the dial .

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I have always bought Bushnell because they were what was sold locally. Many failed but were replaced. A scope that started being sold several years ago around here was Burris. I probably bought 12-15, none with any issues. Good light pic up, very clear optics and affordable.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Woodsmaster nova tactical has a new in the box 2.5-8x36 cds Leopold . The price might sting a little . The cds model the only version of 2.5-8 x 36they make now comes with a standard elevation dial . You get the cds part of the scope when you buy the custom dial system from leupold . Basic a dial set to a specific load .with the come ups marked into the dial .
I put a 2-7x33 Freedom Huntplex on a rifle recently, it's going to save you coin, no cds which I think is useless for anything <300-400 yards anyways. As I stated earlier there is no difference to my eyes in that Freedom glass or vx3i glass.

Is Nova Tactical still selling Kings Optics? lol

Cheers,

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Woodsmaster nova tactical has a new in the box 2.5-8x36 cds Leopold . The price might sting a little . The cds model the only version of 2.5-8 x 36 they make now comes with a standard elevation dial . You get the cds part of the scope when you buy the custom dial system from leupold . Basic a dial set to a specific load .with the come ups marked into the dial .
Thanks Rembolt, I'll have to stop in and take a look at it, Really nice scope, but after tax plus mounts not sure if I want to spend ~$1000 on the scope. If someone else made a 2.5-8x36mm that was a bit more budget friendly I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I put a 2-7x33 Freedom Huntplex on a rifle recently, it's going to save you coin, no cds which I think is useless for anything <300-400 yards anyways. As I stated earlier there is no difference to my eyes in that Freedom glass or vx3i glass.

Is Nova Tactical still selling Kings Optics? lol

Cheers,
How do you like the Hunt-Plex? I'd much rather prefer the standard Duplex but I guess I need to compromise somewhere.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
How do you like the Hunt-Plex? I'd much rather prefer the standard Duplex but I guess I need to compromise somewhere.
Same I like a simple reticle like a duplex, the huntplex is just as good, it's pretty simple. Just a bit thicker reticle besides the verticle barely notice a difference might even bring your eye a bit quicker to the middle.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
The hunt plex looks like it would be a good reticle . with 10 moa built into the cross hairs. it is pretty close to what is refered to as a german reticle . I prefer a scope with this type or the duplex type reticle . the mil dot and bdc style reticle I find to be way to busy with to much to look at .

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The hunt plex looks like it would be a good reticle . with 10 moa built into the cross hairs. it is pretty close to what is refered to as a german reticle . I prefer a scope with this type or the duplex type reticle . the mil dot and bdc style reticle I find to be way to busy with to much to look at .
Agreed. I have a 3-9 on my Marlin that has the "Wind-Plex" reticle and I find it way too busy for a lever gun. I bought it because it was on sale and needed a replacement for an old TV screen weaver that was originally on it lol.

Oh yeah, My Rifle is ready for pickup at the post office😁

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another line of scopes you might be interested in is Delta Optical. These scopes are made in Poland. Very good Japanese glass. Becoming very popular as of late amongst the target rifle crowd, but they do offer a pretty solid hunting scope line also. I own 4 of them ( the Stryker line ), and feel confident that you would be impressed with the optical quality. A couple of dealers across Canada carry them....I got mine from Hirsch Precision in Lake Echo.

·
Administrator
10,845 Posts
pictures...pictures...pictures.....this thread is now moot without pictures...LOL

·
GREYBEARD
3,189 Posts
I agree all this talk about guns ... lets see it!
I would go with the Leupold VX freedom as well.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts