Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have just signed up to take my gun course in a couple weeks. I have decided to get into hunting. I'm almost 30 and need a new hobby or lifestyle.

I suppose I will start with goose hunting and perhaps duck. I'll see where I progress from there. Maybe even give rabbit and deer a try. I have given myself one rule that will be very easy to live by. "If your not going to eat it, don't shoot it".

I have a few questions for anyone who has the time to read this.

For my first shotgun I am eyeing the Benelli Super Nova 12 gauge, Pump, 28". Any input on this? Now yes I know I can spend $1,000 and up on a really good gun but $550 is good enough for a starter gun I think.

For goose and/or duck hunting in Nova Scotia is all the cammo gear permitted?

What startup cost will I be looking at? (not including my gun), (just clothes, and other necessary equipment).

I have also heard that a lot of people don't like wild goose. I have personally only had tame goose. I sure hope it's good when cooked right because I wont be killing anything I don't eat. Any pointers for a first time goose cook? I don't want to get a bad first impression by not cooking it right.

I'm sure if I keep thinking and typing I will end up with a list of questions so I will stop there.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
the benelli should make you a nice I like 3 1/2 inch shells not nessasery but if u r buy new it might not hurt.the camo gear for ducks and geese is a must have if your not hiden well you will scare them.you will need decoys what u spend on the gear is up to u but starting off u will need alot of different things

·
Registered
663 Posts
you will need all the camo duck blind camo is a good choice.6 duck decoys,12 goose decoys,lots of ammo and a pair chestwaders. that should get u started.be careful waterfouling is a additicion. oh and btw u should go with someone that done it befor

·
Registered
196 Posts
The first time I went duck hunting it was with a friend who had lots of experience and the gear. You my want to try this first before spending $$$ on something you my not even like the taste of. I do not like wild goose so I will not hunt them, but wild duck is very good if cooked by someone who has a little experience cooking them. It doesn't hurt to have them teach you or have them on speed dial before putting the bird in the oven.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Truck + Boat + motor + trailer = 75,000.00

• That don't leave much for goose, teal, black duck, sea duck, whistler decoys, salt water gun, fresh water gun, warm weather chest waders, cold weather chest waders, different ammo for each type of bird, early fall camo, late fall camo, cattail camo , snow camo, 10' jon boat, 12' jon boat, small outboard and a couple of canoes

I would say 100,000.00 is a more realistic budget and I'm not even sure if I could replace all of my gear for that if I had to go out and buy it all new at one time. Worst part is I really don't even eat duck that often since I am the only one in the house who likes it lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
Truck + Boat + motor + trailer = 75,000.00?? You got a better deal then I!

These days with silos one can get away cheap for field hunting. Really enjoy the divebombs silos I picked up this year.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I wear camo most of the time but you don't need it. I've killed plenty of birds without camo on, just dont move when birds are coming. Let your blind be the camo!

If your gonna hunt water, you'll need waders or a good dog or a boat, they arent all necessary at every location but each has its advantages and if you have all 3 great!

Decoys, get used ones, if you like hunting buy some new ones, although again, new ones are not needed.

Dress Warm! If you think its cold at home in your driveway, put on more clothes. Its always colder next to the water, when your out in the wind it can be almost unbearable some days and those are the best hunting days.

Most Important, learn to shoot! No point to go out there shooting birds in the ass or shooting at them to far away and crippling them.

Its not a numbers game and its not about who's got the fanciest camo and best gear. it should be about enjoying yourself, the environment your hunting in and respecting the resource we have the privilege to hunt.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do yourself a favor, if you are going to really put some focus on Geese, grab yourself a 10 gauge. You will bag more birds guaranteed.

Sure, some will argue that a 12 is good enough blah blah blah. A 10 gauge really reaches out and gets high fliers, and hits them harder.

My two cents.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sent you a PM. I have lots of great info for you... most of wich requires a bit of time to build stuff but at a ridiculous low price... besides we all need something to do for the next 6 months...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey Justin,

The Benelli is a nice gun, that was the first pump that I bought, and it treated me pretty well.You may want to take a look at a Winchester SXP as well, they're a really well made shotgun and you can pick up a 3.5 inch Camo 12 ga for around $500. I would stick with the 12ga, the ammo is much easier to find than the 10ga, and you can always take a 12 ga partridge or pheasant hunting if you have the opportunity. Good camo gear is worth the investment, you should think about when and where you want to hunt before buying, that will help you pick warm weather/cold gear or waders vs layout blind. Where you plan to hunt is also going to dictate what decoys you buy. Floaters don't work well in the field and shells or full bodies or silhouettes don't work too well in a pond or marsh.

Waterfowl hunting can be as elaborate or simple as you want, you can walk out in a marsh with a few floaters and kill birds, and you can set up 10 dozen full bodies in a field and kill birds. I'm somewhere in the middle, I field hunt with 4-6 dozen decoys and had pretty good success this past season, but it took several frustrating seasons, and alot of patience to get there. Terry and bishd, gave you some of the best advice, go out with someone experienced, that is the best way to learn what to do and what you'll need. Send me a PM if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I gotta agree with terry.I dunno y people think just b/c they got a 10 they can shoot farther...buddy of mine got a pump 10 and all my buddies try to tell him ya can't shoot no farther,ya just got more shot going at the bird but he doesent believe us...I'm not bragging or nothing but I've shot more birds with 3inch shells in my 12 than what he has with his big 10...just say in...good luck into the waterfowl world,u will love it I'm sure.it becomes an addiction and its all u think about

·
Registered
362 Posts
u don,t need a 10 gage a good hunter shoots at decoying birds not high flyers thats why they r so timmid
Really,a good hunter knows what he and his gun can do thru practice and pattering most guys have no idea what distance is period.When it comes to decoying birds in a farm feild a 20 guage is all ya need most of the shots are under 35 yds but when ya don't have access to a farmers feild its a differant story.Its not that a 10 can out distance a 12 its a fact that a 10's forcing cone holds the pattern together alot farther than a 12's.This means more shot hits the bird at a longer distance my 10 gets 60% at 60 yds in a 30'' circle on the pattern board with an 1 1/2 once of bbb and f shot in a duplexed load doin 1570fps on avg according to my chrony.Try that in a 12 lol...there would be no barrell left on the gun.I've used alot 12's the ones i like are the 12's with the overbored barrels its the best of both worlds most shoot a great pattern check them out...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts