Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am relatively new to NS and coming from another province. Considering I am not yet a full time resident / permanent resident will I be able to go out hunting on my own if I have the right license's (firearms and small game tags)?

Also I am wondering what type of small game, fox, coyote, upland birds, waterfowl is still available to be hunted in november, I assume its like back home where there are certain regulations to where you can and cant hunt.

Thanks in advance for your insight, please comment or message me if you have any information for me!

Cheers

·
Registered
537 Posts
When I moved here I had to bring my proof of hunter education down to the Department of Natural Resources head office on Barrington Street in Halifax and show them my proof of residency here to get my orange card (now it's called a Wildlife Resources Card). Once I had that I could buy resident tags for anything that was open (which is pretty much everything, in all counties, as of Saturday when pheasant opens in the valley counties). On top of provincial tags and licenses you would need a migratory bird stamp for ducks. So, if you are not yet a permanent resident, then Chrisaverman is right - you'll need expensive non-resident tags and licenses, and a guide. If you are ready to get a drivers license etc... and to become and official resident, then you could, in my experience, get all your hunting cards and permits sorted out in one day, if you do it in person. One stumbling block for me (this was 12 years ago, mind you) was that it was not clear that my Quebec hunting card/training had included firearms safety training, so I had to get a letter from the province of Quebec to attest to that fact.

Welcome to the province, good luck and be careful!

Cheers,

-Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts