1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MESSAGE FROM:

A. Blair Pardy

Field Unit Superintendent

Parks Canada

Cape Breton, NS

Friday February 5

As you are aware, in August 2013, the vision for the Never Forgotten National Memorial proposed to be built at Green Cove in Cape Breton Highlands National Park was announced. Parks Canada has been working with the Never Forgotten National Memorial Foundation towards the realization of this Memorial.

At this time, Parks Canada has completed a review of the entire Never Forgotten National Memorial initiative as well as the key elements and timelines within the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) that guides this complex proposal. Based on that review, Parks Canada has concluded that there are too many key elements that remain outstanding for the project to be achieved by the planned date of July 1, 2017, including the availability of funds to the Foundation, agreement on the structuring of the funding for construction and maintenance, and a definitive final design plan.

I wanted to let you know that after careful consideration, Parks Canada has decided to withdraw from the MOU and the project. Parks Canada will no longer be working towards the realization of the memorial in Cape Breton Highlands National Park. As a result, the project will not be moving forward on Parks Canada land.

Parks Canada appreciates the Never Forgotten National Memorial Foundation's vision in honouring Canadians who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country and wishes the Foundation success in its on-going pursuits.

· Registered
856 Posts
WE DID IT OUR WAY !!! or no way at all, besides, it was either gonna screw up some prime moose habitat, or prevent total restoration of the boreal forest, cause the inflation rate to fluctuate in that area or even worse, possibly create some long term employment opportunities. Thankfully everyone was entitled to change their minds, whodathunkit?

· Registered
18,487 Posts
3macs1,

What was the general feeling in CB about the statue? Did you find most people wanted it?

Hard to get a feel for local opinions in the paper.

John
John I really don't have a good handle on that other than the few I did hear comment wanted the statue in CB but not at that location

Too remote and damage the scenery they said

Then again them dam ugly windmills seem to be going up every where

Cheers

· Registered
482 Posts
When in Green Cove, you can walk out onto the rock formation, look at the rock, read the interpretive signs, and then ask yourself: "Where, in the world, have I ever seen anything quite like this?" Chances are, if you've never been here before, you have never before seen anything like this. Mother Canada proponents wanted to 'improve' that formation with a lurking graven image of Mary, a souvenir shop, and about 100 tonnes of reinforced concrete.

Next time you're passing Green Cove, stop.

· Registered
785 Posts
I'm happy with the decision. National Parks provide us with a preserve of nature. It should remind us of what the world looks like without human constructs. It should have the sights, smells, and sounds of nature, as well as the creatures, plants, rocks, etc. National Parks are not "attractions" to be pumped up like Vegas. For that, you have the cities.

For me personally, being in a natural environment, which we often have while hunting, is a sort of sanctuary for the primitive parts of our minds. It's similar to how hunting (or anything involving hitting a target, like bowling) is in our nature, and similar to how having a fire to watch feels good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.