Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with people posting NO HUNTING or TRESSPASSING signs on land that does not belong to them? A guy in my hunting area didn't like the idea that me and my buddy drove back the woods road where he hunts (this was before deer season), mind you, we have been hunting this area for over 20 years without a problem. The next day signs were posted. A quick email to NS land registry and the actual land owner is Northern Pulp (over 4000 acres). This pisses me off, we don't bother anyone and we make sure we keep well clear of other hunters. Give me a break!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Funny you mention this. This sign went in this week. At the bottom of a woods road that has dozens of private woodlots and camps up along it. (Bog Road, Mt Denson Falmouth area.) For miles actually. There is a also a gate going in 25 yards from this sign... Not sure where this company owns land, it has to be way back as the front end up several miles is almost all private lands. many with camps..Should get pretty interesting.
221584814_10223190759290588_8126384642143461941_n.jpg
is mostly private..

·
Registered
139 Posts
The sign you see on the Bog Road is intended to give the land holder a certain amount of liability coverage,
If you do not have their permission as requested and something happens,you do not have any real leg to stand on. It also allows the land owner to control who has access at any given time. I suspect we will see more of these types of signs in the future.
As for someone posting signs on property not owned or leased by them then that could be an offence. The true landowner would have to be the one to accept or dispute the sign. This type of signage problems crops up from time to time.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The sign you see on the Bog Road is intended to give the land holder a certain amount of liability coverage,
If you do not have their permission as requested and something happens,you do not have any real leg to stand on. It also allows the land owner to control who has access at any given time. I suspect we will see more of these types of signs in the future.
As for someone posting signs on property not owned or leased by them then that could be an offence. The true landowner would have to be the one to accept or dispute the sign. This type of signage problems crops up from time to time.
Landar Holdings does not own the land where that sign is posted. Both sides of that road, for several miles up, are all private woodlot owners and a chunk of crown land to the left of it.Our family is one of those Woodlot Owners, above the powerline..To expand further, the Protection of Property Act allows travel, on foot on private forested lands for Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, Berry picking ect. If this sign was posted on their property boundary and they were doing a forest Op, then yup, it would have merit. Not where it is now however..The PPA is god in NS when it relates to foot traffic on forested lands

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Landar Holdings does not own the land where that sign is posted. Both sides of that road, for several miles up, are all private woodlot owners and a chunk of crown land to the left of it.Our family is one of those Woodlot Owners, above the powerline..To expand further, the Protection of Property Act allows travel, on foot on private forested lands for Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, Berry picking ect. If this sign was posted on their property boundary and they were doing a forest Op, then yup, it would have merit. Not where it is now however..The PPA is god in NS when it relates to foot traffic on forested lands
Something that I learned years ago buying land. I purchased 25 acres, one of two lots remaining of woods. The last lot sold and with it unknown by many so did the rights of the road. This landowner now owned the road, controlled it, gated it and if you had land in there you had to pay a fee to use it. Never thought that was possible one can purchase the road but they can?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Something that I learned years ago buying land. I purchased 25 acres, one of two lots remaining of woods. The last lot sold and with it unknown by many so did the rights of the road. This landowner now owned the road, controlled it, gated it and if you had land in there you had to pay a fee to use it. Never thought that was possible one can purchase the road but they can?
I own land. Rights of ways remain deeded, after sale . Situation is not the same. The land they are holding and will clear cut as i understand is back between the two dams, almost in Bishopville. I have read it is Minas Basin lands? This however is the access road, which happened only a couple years back when a local Private landowner sold his stumpage, the dirt road was created from what was a tote road for decades, which ran through all the private woodlots/camps up that mountain...Now access is being altered by a third party at the very beginning of that road..That is why i posted, signage on lands that someone does not own as per the OP..

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I own land. Rights of ways remain deeded, after sale . Situation is not the same. The land they are holding and will clear cut as i understand is back between the two dams, almost in Bishopville. I have read it is Minas Basin lands? This however is the access road, which happened only a couple years back when a local Private landowner sold his stumpage, the dirt road was created from what was a tote road for decades..Now access is being altered by a third party..That is why i posted, signage on lands that soemone does not own as per the OP..
Everything you describe is how it was here. One old road, 15 or so bought lands off it, then me, using a common old road. 6 months later the last section is bought and the signs go up. I thought it was some as trying to just keep folks out, but after making a trip to the county office to check the last purchaser of land had been able to purchase the right of way of the road into all the other lands, there were cabins, houses that then had to pay a fee to use, maintain. Hope its not something like that. I sold the land off.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
What's up with people posting NO HUNTING or TRESSPASSING signs on land that does not belong to them? A guy in my hunting area didn't like the idea that me and my buddy drove back the woods road where he hunts (this was before deer season), mind you, we have been hunting this area for over 20 years without a problem. The next day signs were posted. A quick email to NS land registry and the actual land owner is Northern Pulp (over 4000 acres). This pisses me off, we don't bother anyone and we make sure we keep well clear of other hunters. Give me a break!
Nothing new to us. We first seen this on our private land in the 70's and many times over the years. Crown land is even worse
Cheers

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I've seen land posted no hunting , or trespassing , but yet is Crown land , Friend of mine even had his property posted by "so called outdoors person " put the sign right on his gate and on both sides the road .

that was cleared up very fast as that very person moved a old travel trailer right along side his driveway set up camp and tried squatting , that lasted a day till DNR AND R.C.M.P showed up and guy was charged and ordered removal of said trailer and encampment .

i've had people walk up to our cottage with backpacks , tents , and so on trying say land and cottage were abandoned , LMAO, Yet we have signed postings along the way stating your trespassing and under video .

Some just try push others from a area for numerous reasons , while others try anything to gain control. Posting signs has gone on for yrs as a way to say "your not welcome around my spot " .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a related question. I've seen both crown and private land (forested land) with gates across access roads. But no signs to say no hunting or no trespassing. And sometimes an ATV track going through the woods around the gate to bypass it. Are these areas fair game finding hunting opportunities? Or should I take the gate to mean "stay off"?

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
I have a related question. I've seen both crown and private land (forested land) with gates across access roads. But no signs to say no hunting or no trespassing. And sometimes an ATV track going through the woods around the gate to bypass it. Are these areas fair game finding hunting opportunities? Or should I take the gate to mean "stay off"?
IMO There is only one reason for a gate. Stay off and don't hang your hat on this forested land crap that it is OK for you to hunt there in NS since a lot of the owners could not care less about that. There are places here now many of them owned by germans and americans as an example that will deal with you as they would you trespassing in their home land and you will be looking at issues you don't want including with some face to face with the barrel of a 12ga and to me rightfully so
We have always found that those that would go around our gate never owned any land themselves and had no respect for what others own
Cheers

·
Administrator
9,933 Posts
IMHO...gates are put up for 1 reason..to keep people & vehicles out ! To stop damage from happening on the property (and it always happens) cuz that's the mindset of some ignorant azz-wipes, thieves, pot heads lookin for grop op sites that roam the woods, more now doin this chit disguised as "hunters" too !!🤬🤬🤬

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the responses! Where I'm from (Labrador) there is almost no private land like here and very few roads -- so there's a very different culture around community land use. It's really good to understand the how locals here do it (regardless of what's written in the rules).

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Just to add you will also find here most locals if you ask permission and tell them what your intentions are will open the gate for you. I know we did for many
Cheers

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
IMHO...gates are put up for 1 reason..to keep people & vehicles out ! To stop damage from happening on the property (and it always happens) cuz that's the mindset of some ignorant azz-wipes, thieves, pot heads lookin for grop op sites that roam the woods, more now doin this chit disguised as "hunters" too !!🤬🤬🤬
Most hunters can't hunt with out an atv it seems, there lies the problem. The dumb just cut around the gate post because they believe it is there right to drive there machine every where, carry there stands, trailers in. No one follows the regs, no one walks. Same old, less and less places to hunt each year due to use of atv's.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thanks for the responses! Where I'm from (Labrador) there is almost no private land like here and very few roads -- so there's a very different culture around community land use. It's really good to understand the how locals here do it (regardless of what's written in the rules).
Yes, it's very different down here. In Labrador, pretty much all land is crown land, if it isn't in a town. Towns are few and far between up there. The places you do see a remote cabin, usually it is leased crown land. They take their chances that the land can stay available to use, but they have little in rights. Labrador is a wonderful place for hunting, although the best way to access most of it is by air or boat.

Nova Scotia is the second most densely populated province in Canada, after PEI. DNR say that if a person was to parachute to any random spot in Nova Scotia, the furthest they could walk in a straight line before encountering road is 10KM. Cell phone coverage is available in many parts of Nova Scotia, even way in the woods (but not always). In Labrador, cell phone coverage is only in the town and maybe 10KM outside town. Most land here is privately owned, even if it looks like it's unused and natural forest. That's why the hunting laws lean towards giving hunters some access by default. It's up to land owners to proclaim their property is "no trespassing". As I understand it, if there was any complaint about hunting on "unimproved land" (not farmed, developed, etc.) the charge against the hunter would be trespassing, as long as everything else about the activity (distance from roads, buildings, etc) was on the up and up.

As for gates and signs.... It takes only a couple of minutes to put up signs, so it really could be anyone doing that. Gates are a different matter if it's the solid type. There would be a concrete base for both posts, etc. It's not something a visitor/squatter is going to invest in. So when I see gates, I take it there is a solid legal basis for them to be there, possibly a cottage further in, and I never hunt that land.

I don't know if this works from a smartphone, but on a computer this is the best resource I've seen for looking at the woods from the air. Nova Scotia Coordinate Referencing System Viewer
If you zoom to the part of the province you want to look at, turn off "Survey Monuments", turn on "Delimiter Boundaries", and use "10K Orthos" to flip back and forth from Topo map or aerial photography view. This is usually sharper resolution than google earth. You can also check "Property" if you're curious about any of those lines. Googe Maps/Earth has more up to date photography in terms of new roads or clear cuts. All that said, only being on the ground will show the gates.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
A week ago, I noticed a yellow sign on a road that I walk in to get to one of my hunting spots. Last night, I decided to walk in to see what it said. “No Hunting, trapping or ATV’ing beyond this point”. It is a yellow sign with black lettering and has the NS emblem on it and also DNR. Looks like an official sign from dnr. Has anyone else seen a sign like this ?? The road is a government road. The end that I walk in from is no longer maintained, but the other end is. This road might be a mile long in total. 3/4 is maintained and the remainder is not. How can anyone stop me from walking back that road to get to my hunting spot ?? I foresee some trouble there this fall. I have hunted there for the best part of 40 years. Time will tell. I might decide to just not hunt there anymore and save myself the hassle.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Yes, it's very different down here. In Labrador, pretty much all land is crown land, if it isn't in a town. Towns are few and far between up there. The places you do see a remote cabin, usually it is leased crown land. They take their chances that the land can stay available to use, but they have little in rights. Labrador is a wonderful place for hunting, although the best way to access most of it is by air or boat.

Nova Scotia is the second most densely populated province in Canada, after PEI. DNR say that if a person was to parachute to any random spot in Nova Scotia, the furthest they could walk in a straight line before encountering road is 10KM. Cell phone coverage is available in many parts of Nova Scotia, even way in the woods (but not always). In Labrador, cell phone coverage is only in the town and maybe 10KM outside town. Most land here is privately owned, even if it looks like it's unused and natural forest. That's why the hunting laws lean towards giving hunters some access by default. It's up to land owners to proclaim their property is "no trespassing". As I understand it, if there was any complaint about hunting on "unimproved land" (not farmed, developed, etc.) the charge against the hunter would be trespassing, as long as everything else about the activity (distance from roads, buildings, etc) was on the up and up.

As for gates and signs.... It takes only a couple of minutes to put up signs, so it really could be anyone doing that. Gates are a different matter if it's the solid type. There would be a concrete base for both posts, etc. It's not something a visitor/squatter is going to invest in. So when I see gates, I take it there is a solid legal basis for them to be there, possibly a cottage further in, and I never hunt that land.

I don't know if this works from a smartphone, but on a computer this is the best resource I've seen for looking at the woods from the air. Nova Scotia Coordinate Referencing System Viewer
If you zoom to the part of the province you want to look at, turn off "Survey Monuments", turn on "Delimiter Boundaries", and use "10K Orthos" to flip back and forth from Topo map or aerial photography view. This is usually sharper resolution than google earth. You can also check "Property" if you're curious about any of those lines. Googe Maps/Earth has more up to date photography in terms of new roads or clear cuts. All that said, only being on the ground will show the gates.
I still say if people abided by what the regulations say and were on foot there would be few issues. People can't walk it seems and they then run throughout properties on atv's making right of ways, trails, and carting in structures. Look at the moose hunts in Cape Breton. Make shift stands are left there and garbage mainly because it was brought in by vehicle. I don't think someone that is a property owner should be required to put in a gate. They can cost a $1000 or more. Asking permission and walking is the answer, Yes not all will give you permission mostly because they probably suffered a hunters ignorance once before. Its the hunters that ignore this and carry on that screw it for the rest.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I often wondered just what those people that love outdoor activities think when they choose a brand new recreational vehicle over spending the money instead on property. If Nova Scotia is mostly private lands where do you intend to use it? Not just atv's but jeep clubs that I see covered in mud daily as they just returned from a run on some ones property. People just ain't honest. They want to be able to drive from point A to B, carry in there gear, building supplies, and leave half of the junk there. The moose hunt in Cape Breton is an example, why is it ok to build and leave blinds in the woods there. I remember one trip there to family owned land during moose season. After parking at the end of our old gated road, we stepped out to three atv's that went around our truck, around the gate and proceeded to ignore us. What we got was the finger. I walked in to talk to an idiot from Halifax that said that they had 5 days to get a moose, they did not feking care they were hunting there. This is why things get posted. To put in a gate can run a landowner over $1000. If its your land why is a sign not enough, or a cable when the regulations are clear. Why should people be deciding who put the sign there and choosing to ignore it. Move on. Go to your nearest access Nova Scotia office, get the name of the person and talk to them. Lazyness today is a big factor.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
I still say if people abided by what the regulations say and were on foot there would be few issues. People can't walk it seems and they then run throughout properties on atv's making right of ways, trails, and carting in structures. Look at the moose hunts in Cape Breton. Make shift stands are left there and garbage mainly because it was brought in by vehicle. I don't think someone that is a property owner should be required to put in a gate. They can cost a $1000 or more. Asking permission and walking is the answer, Yes not all will give you permission mostly because they probably suffered a hunters ignorance once before. Its the hunters that ignore this and carry on that screw it for the rest.
Agree 100%
take care

1 - 20 of 21 Posts