Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
No butt sore here besides when my hemorrhoids act up there buds.
I'm glad. I am just being honest nothing else
Mine bust and scare me to death some times
All joking aside last year was a bad deer year for the group I know that deer hunt but pending how they do this year I maybe able to help your friend and will drop you a PM. They always offer me a fair share of meat in the good years which I don't take but will if he can use it
take care

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
You may not know anyone but I know several rural people that if it wasn’t for game they would have no meat or fowl, these people also rely heavily on fish they catch. Obviously beaverhunter knows some as well.
Several??
Still trying to get my head around this Yes my world and circle is small and yes I don't know everything going on around here but I am a numbers guy always have been
So as of July 2020 there were 100,702 people living in the cape
In 2020 a total of 466 deer were taken and many of those are guys getting two
In our most rural zone 112 only 44 were taken and in zone 111 we took 422
So how can it be we have several people that relay on hunting to eat meat. We have no other big game to fill the freezer and small game sure isn't doing it
Not saying here there isn't some but sure not several like it was here even 30 years ago especially in the house I and my friends were raise in
Just talking out loud
Cheers

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
With the cost of living and housing skyrocketing … there will be more and more people relying on hunting to fill their freezers. They just can’t afford to go to the grocery store to buy meat and produce. I see a huge increase in my area with people with backyard gardens. With this generation (granola’s) as people call them … they are getting back to living off the land. The government has made it very easy for folks to put 2 deer in their freezers. That’s huge for more people than we might realize.

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
With the cost of living and housing skyrocketing … there will be more and more people relying on hunting to fill their freezers. They just can’t afford to go to the grocery store to buy meat and produce. I see a huge increase in my area with people with backyard gardens. With this generation (granola’s) as people call them … they are getting back to living off the land. The government has made it very easy for folks to put 2 deer in their freezers. That’s huge for more people than we might realize.
Agree 100% on the sky rocketing and Yes where there is game to get for sure but not here in the cape and cannot be compared to backyard gardens now you are on my turf :D that I do know something about :)
So much so here the increase in gardening they are talking possibly a new bylaw now to stop people from placing them on their front lawns and that came right from a meeting with the cbrm and zones now are being closely watched. BS again Joe OK been there for this years permit. I quote
The zone for this property ( mine ) is RUC (Residential Urban C). Under this zone, “agricultural” uses are permitted. That was never a consideration in the past
IMO this is heading like sheds did now 10x10 max allowed then permit I would not be shocked if they limit garden sizes based on zone and your land size and tell you where it can be placed on the property some day soon and of course make you pay a fee for having one :(

Our veggie transplants sales show it also the garden boom from like 200 plants to 2000 in two years and still sold out
As one example I still have a lot of friends in sask I met from working there on contracts in the potash mines and some that have returned home to retire at the cape I talk to on a regular basis
Like they all say 95% % of their meat in sask they always hunted to get and rarely spent at the grocery store for meat
Since home they cannot even get one deer a year. There is no bull and cow moose tag for two hunters a year here and add 500 bucks for another bull tag :( then add whitetail, mule deer elk etc and one would have enough meat to feed a small army out west
Does getting two deer a year help some here for sure but not getting one they are not going to starve either since most of these granolas also raise their own livestock or the ones I know and sell to do and don't ask me why but goats seems to be top on the list to raise . Weird IMO
Cheers

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Speaking of growing a garden on front lawns … a house very close to us recently sold to a young couple from Ontario. Almost $500,000. Beautiful home. The previous owners could NEVER grow a lawn. Terrible soil I’m guessing. 4 inches of top soil on a shale pit. These new owners decided to grow veggies on their front lawn. Absolutely ruined the look of their property, but looks like they are having a bumper crop !!

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
Speaking of growing a garden on front lawns … a house very close to us recently sold to a young couple from Ontario. Almost $500,000. Beautiful home. The previous owners could NEVER grow a lawn. Terrible soil I’m guessing. 4 inches of top soil on a shale pit. These new owners decided to grow veggies on their front lawn. Absolutely ruined the look of their property, but looks like they are having a bumper crop !!
Yep becoming an issue since covid especially in areas like yours with expensive homes all around them. One can see changes coming
take care

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Yes joe several not everyone has a good education or a good job. Still lots who grow there own veggies and rely on wild game and fish to live. Not everyone has enough land to raise their own beef etc, nor the resources. Often times it’s people which grew up in a similar manner.
I too rely on game for my meat because I prefer it to store boughten meat!

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
Yes joe several not everyone has a good education or a good job. Still lots who grow there own veggies and rely on wild game and fish to live. Not everyone has enough land to raise their own beef etc, nor the resources. Often times it’s people which grew up in a similar manner.
I too rely on game for my meat because I prefer it to store boughten meat!
Understand 3D and not disputing what you see in your area. Tons are now growing veggies for sure but wild game and fishing not so much here in the real low income families and the highest percentage are single female parent or caregiver reports say
Here where I live no good job or education the system takes care of these individuals 99% of the time not hunting fishing or even gardens
Like my bud says today when we were talking about this how in the hell can I feed my family with fish any more when I cannot even keep stinky tinkers and they put a limit on even mackerel now costs me more in gas to get there than it is worth. LOL yes he is pissed since he smoked a ton for years
I agree
Not too many hunters or fishermen below 3D but very sad
Cape Breton has the highest child poverty rate in the province at 34.9%

Take care

81 - 89 of 89 Posts