Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fire burning at Horeshoe Lake in Yarmouth Co.is suspected to have been started by humans. The fire has been moving towards Quinan where I live. We have been warned that we might have to evacuate as the fire would have been here tomorrow morning if the wind had kept in the direction that it blew yesterday. The wind has shifted and decreased somewhat so things are looking brighter, and rain is forecast for the weekend. My house is one of the closest to the fire.
The area where the fire started is only accessible by off road vehicles and they think that someone started the fire. It is not the first fire around here. There are people around here that think it is a good idea to start a fire and new growth will make it a better deer hunting area. It is not uncommon to go biking and see areas where fires have been started and they burn till they go out.So here we are wondering if the dream house we built and retired in will even exist in the next few days.
There are a lot of responsible owners of off road vehicles, but there are a lot that are not, as you can see their garbage all along the trails. We live off a gravel road and on weekends we sometime have a one lane road to get to our property as there are 20-30 trucks with trailers parked on each side of the road leaving a very small lane for local traffic We have even had trucks parked blocking our lane way and they have gone for a ride..
The wife and I both have had 4 wheelers for 20 odd years and we respect other peoples property, but a lot of the ones I see today think it is their right to go anywhere they want and cut down anything in their way. I have had locks cut on property gates and any sign that I put up showing private property torn down. Caught a fellow cutting my lock and told that I could put all the locks I wanted but all the bikers carry a zip cut and a tree saw. I was accosted a few years ago by a fellow driving a side by side with a beer in his hand when he met me going out my driveway.. He accused be of preventing him from taking a short cutting across my property and started shoving me around and knocking me down. I was 73 at the time , just home from having 2 stints in my artery . Well he is on a lifetime court order to stay away from me and my property.
Like I said there are the good and the bad, but a lot of people live in the towns and city`s and they own no property in the country. They spend a lot of money on what machines cost today and because they now have a vehicle they think that they can go anywhere off road that they desire.I wonder what they would think if I drove all over their lawns ,parked in their driveway, thru garbage all over, cut down their trees, ripped down their house address signs and started a few fires ?

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
The fire burning at Horeshoe Lake in Yarmouth Co.is suspected to have been started by humans. The fire has been moving towards Quinan where I live. We have been warned that we might have to evacuate as the fire would have been here tomorrow morning if the wind had kept in the direction that it blew yesterday. The wind has shifted and decreased somewhat so things are looking brighter, and rain is forecast for the weekend. My house is one of the closest to the fire.
The area where the fire started is only accessible by off road vehicles and they think that someone started the fire. It is not the first fire around here. There are people around here that think it is a good idea to start a fire and new growth will make it a better deer hunting area. It is not uncommon to go biking and see areas where fires have been started and they burn till they go out.So here we are wondering if the dream house we built and retired in will even exist in the next few days.
There are a lot of responsible owners of off road vehicles, but there are a lot that are not, as you can see their garbage all along the trails. We live off a gravel road and on weekends we sometime have a one lane road to get to our property as there are 20-30 trucks with trailers parked on each side of the road leaving a very small lane for local traffic We have even had trucks parked blocking our lane way and they have gone for a ride..
The wife and I both have had 4 wheelers for 20 odd years and we respect other peoples property, but a lot of the ones I see today think it is their right to go anywhere they want and cut down anything in their way. I have had locks cut on property gates and any sign that I put up showing private property torn down. Caught a fellow cutting my lock and told that I could put all the locks I wanted but all the bikers carry a zip cut and a tree saw. I was accosted a few years ago by a fellow driving a side by side with a beer in his hand when he met me going out my driveway.. He accused be of preventing him from taking a short cutting across my property and started shoving me around and knocking me down. I was 73 at the time , just home from having 2 stints in my artery . Well he is on a lifetime court order to stay away from me and my property.
Like I said there are the good and the bad, but a lot of people live in the towns and city`s and they own no property in the country. They spend a lot of money on what machines cost today and because they now have a vehicle they think that they can go anywhere off road that they desire.I wonder what they would think if I drove all over their lawns ,parked in their driveway, thru garbage all over, cut down their trees, ripped down their house address signs and started a few fires ?
Hope they get it under control. Lived what your dealing with, in the end they burned down my cabin, such nice folks out there.:) People have no idea what some go through.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Ive Experienced same as yourself DD & TS , most have no clue what a person goes thru to maintain and aquire ones property nor do they care , I call them " THE ENTITLED" that refuse to respect what others worked hard for , paid hard earned money and put blood , sweat and tears at times to bring a dream into reality .
Jealousy is big part of it , thinking it's rich people cottages cause they don't have it . You can bet your last dollar , if it was their home or cottage or cabin and that was done to them as well , there be hell to pay for .

Ignorance is bliss , no respect is ignorance both hand and hand , Best wishes to you and your dream home and paradise escaping that now very large wildfire due to someones disrespect of those who live there and try maintain access to that very area that others worked hard to develop and protect .

best of luck

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Hopefully they get it out sooner than later DD. It is quite a fire. I haven’t heard anything new today about it. 2 helicopters and 1 plane fighting it. Not nearly as windy in Bridgewater today and was fairly damp this morning. Hopefully it is the same up your way, and with shift in wind direction, they can get a handle on it.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
The way things are today it brings into question of having enough insurance. Couple years ago I bumped my cabin insurance up because of the fires, now with the cost of materials it would be double or tripple to replace it. I imagine many do not realize that many insurance companies are just going to give you what it was valued when you took out the policy. I was thinking of making the call with another hot summer no doubt. To many people out on the trails stopping and making fires. I have to ask why? What is it that they have to make a fire, especially with how quickly our forests dry out?

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
Hopefully the shift in the wind will be your saving grace
Never heard of anyone purposely starting a forest fire, pretty stupid I though the news meant someone had fire which got out of control.
Guess you need to carry a baseball bat for protection up there pretty sad To hear someone would push around an older person ( senior) especially on his own property, Hell I don’t have any idea what he looks like but I would like to puck him in the face about three times!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Genuinely sorry to hear of the problems you've had and are having with arseholes!! There are far too many of them out there for sure! It would be interesting to have people that litter charged and as part of their sentence have garbage dumped all over their property, or have the police go and tear their lawn all to hell!!
My family had for many years, a nice camp right beside a great trout river in Southern New Brunswick. The lawn was about 40 feet to the edge of the river. People broke in, stole rifles, dishes and silver ware, Coleman stoves and lanterns, you name it. They would spin their tires all over the lawn. Arseholes with no respect at all for someone else's property.
Luckily it seems many people don't have these problems but far, far too many do.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wishing you and your family safety DD! Can only imagine the uneasy feeling something like this brings. Half of my family is in Pubnico and I know it was a fairly common practice to burn patches for wild blueberry fields, not sure why someone would have picked this week to do that but based on the pictures of the fire it almost looks like that's what someone was trying to do. Just my theory anyways. Hope they get it controlled soon.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I am a journalist with Radio-Canada in Nova Scotia and I was wondering what is at risk with the fire... Is there any hunting cabin near the fire? Any popular trail?
Well if I would wager to guess from reading the op he lives near the area of the fire so there is a risk that homes could be burned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well if I would wager to guess from reading the op he lives near the area of the fire so there is a risk that homes could be burned.
Yes I was there yesterday, in Quinan. I didn't get to meet the OP but I met other residents. It seems that the wind should turn today. That's why I am redirecting my focus on what is further in the woods.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Yes I was there yesterday, in Quinan. I didn't get to meet the OP but I met other residents. It seems that the wind should turn today. That's why I am redirecting my focus on what is further in the woods.

My guess is if it's not just crown land being burned then there is the possibility of Cabins/camps being in the area.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wishing you and your family safety DD! Can only imagine the uneasy feeling something like this brings. Half of my family is in Pubnico and I know it was a fairly common practice to burn patches for wild blueberry fields, not sure why someone would have picked this week to do that but based on the pictures of the fire it almost looks like that's what someone was trying to do. Just my theory anyways. Hope they get it controlled soon.
What gives anyone the right to burn Crown Land for blueberry fields?????

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Daddy Duncan, How far west towards you has this fire travelled. I looked up Horseshoe lake on google maps and it appears fairly remote but it is now over 3100 hectors in size so it seems to be growing fast. Is the wind favourable today? Must be very scary situation for your family and your neighbours.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Daddy Duncan, How far west towards you has this fire travelled. I looked up Horseshoe lake on google maps and it appears fairly remote but it is now over 3100 hectors in size so it seems to be growing fast. Is the wind favourable today or are you on red alert?
I do not know how far west of me the fire exactly is. If the province would show a map of the area, show exactly where the fire is and shade in the approximate area of the fire it would be a great help. And that should be updated daily so everyone can see what is actually going on. I can only assume that the fire is somewhere west of Horseshoe Lake and is burning towards Rushy Lake That much is on the web. Wednesday morning we were told we should be prepared to evacuate as the fire would reach Meat Rock by 8am Thursday morning. Meat Rock is 4k west of Rushy Lake. That is a distance of 11k that they thought the fire would burn over night. But the wind shifted from NE to NW and now we are hearing that the fire is still burning West towards Rushy Lake and the danger has died down. Well Rushy lake is 3k west of me so we are still keeping our valuables packed. If the fire could travel 11k overnight, 3k from Rushy Lake to my house is only a short time in a huge fire.
A map showing the actual position of the fire, showing the area of the fire and direction it is going , updated daily,would be greatly appreciated. When they say the fire is "near" means nothing. Lakes don't burn. Is the fire 2 miles north , 5 miles west 3 miles south,1 mile east that kind of info gives you an idea of where the fire actually is. .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts