Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am a hunter from Newfoundland and I have always wanted to get my dogs on new species of birds not available here on the island. Nova Scotia is probably the easiest commute for me, so I was hoping for a bit of advice from the people who know.

1) Is there much public hunting land in NS?
2) Do I need a guide, and if I do, any recommendations?
3) Finally, looking for a bit of advice on where I might go. I know this can be a touchy subject and I just want to clarify that I am not looking for anyone's secret spots, but general recommendations where I can get my dog on a few pheasants. I will only be in town once every couple years so you don't have to worry about me harming the local bird population :)

Attached is a pic of my 1 year old Vizlsa, just for fun.
Sky Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

·
Registered
619 Posts
The Guys/Gals on here will correct me if I'm wrong but I'd say most of the good pheasant hunting in the province is private land. Mostly agricultural fields. That being said, I don't think many rural farmers have any issue with you knocking on their door asking for permission to hunt their land. Just pickup your empty shells and be respectful of course. Most of my upland hunting is in the woods after Grouse, so my experience with pheasants is limited. Annapolis Valley, Stewiacke/Hants County would be the areas I'd focus on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Grouse hunting seems most easily done slow driving logging roads. That's where I've had success. Only got ten last year but that'll feed the kids.
Pheasants seem to prefer fields and they are usually private. Had some luck on crown land near fields but only got 1 last year.
The crown land database for Nova Scotia is available free online and you can download it for use in your GPS. No guarantee that it'll work but I've got about 70% of it on my phone. Some weird errors in some of the data that prevents my phone from reading it properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts