Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is specific to members of the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters.

I recently rejoined a few months back dishing out my $20. I noticed a little paper inside telling me I could get "FREE" insurance with my membership. This insurance was small...something like $1000, but the effort seemed small and they only asked for my name and benificiary along with my dob etc.

So I get a phone call yesterday asking me for my home address they are bringing papers for myself and my beneficiary to sign (my wife).

This reeks of scam to me......... nothing is free. Even if a small portion of my membership (NSFAH) fee went to paying for this $1000 insurance there is no way it covered the phone call and trip out to my place to discuss it........ there must be something they are getting out of it.......... or something more I need to pay.

Do any of you guys have this insurance? Opinions please!

They will be at my place at 4pm.......today........

I researched on Google this topic and found nothing.

PS: I would have put this in the "off topic" section but there isn't one

·
So much anger towards everything... :-(
1,568 Posts
I do not have any specific knowledge to share, but I would guess it is not a scam. What they are likely to do is push REALLY hard to upsell you on more insurance which would in fact cover their visit. :) If you stick yo your guns they'll eventually give you the free stuff I would imagine....

Let us know how it goes!

Rob

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It is not a SCAM !! AIL is a insurance/financial company that does not advertise, but gets it's business this way. You will sign a beneificary card. They will, if you want show you other plans they have. I have one and it is excellent. Several groups have AIL insurance and it accummulates. I have insurance from 4 different groups. As BANS President, I have also been called to see if someone that recently died was a member. They have someone that ooks at the obits and if some one is noted as avid outdoors person, hunter, etc and they can't find a membership card, they usually call to see if they person recently joined the association. There is no cost t you unless you buy an insurance, there is not cost to the organization they are associated with. The associations do not give out any mailing addresses, etc to AIL, the mailing is done in this case by the Federation.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

That's a lot of info there HW, thanks for that.

I'm still wrapping my mind around the concept of paying for the phone calls and house trips for free and getting nothing in return for it......... not a good business plan imo........

but Ill give it a good read over now anyway.

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well, she came and its done.

I did sign the paper for $4000 if I die or lose both my hands or feet as did my benefactor (wife).

There was no small print to read so I read it quickly and signed.

She then gave me a card for 30% off on perscription glasses at Vogue Optical, which is good because the wife needs a pair soon. 1 pair / 1 person every 2 years.

She then gave me 2 papers to put info on, one for my son in case he is lost (finger prints, name, etc etc) and one for my will, benefactor, all insurance policies, everything one would need if I died. (in the garbage now....but if you're into that sort of thing by all means finger print your kid etc)

She then spent the vast bulk of the time trying to sell me insurance policies. She was quite good and well trained. She claimed she was there to help me and not there for profit. She claimed she represented the NSFAH and if I trust this group I should trust her. Various things to swing me over. I could not get past the fact that I would need to agree to the policy before I would get to read any papers.......they would be mailed to me and I would have 10 days to read them over and refuse/cancel.

Thanks to HW I did get the $4000 one though but my faith in humanity isn't enough to agree to a contract before I've read it.

Anyway thats all the basic facts I have with im sure some of my own pov in there but I tried to keep that pov down as best I could.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The Federation, TAANS,BANS and others all offer this service. their insurance is legit, it is you choice to buy additional coverage or not ( I like the one that pays a small sum if youor the kids need to go to emergency) and yu won't be hounded. I belong to the 3 organizations above, so have approx 15000 in free life insurance. Not a bad deal, in my books.

·
Registered
476 Posts
''She claimed she was there to help me and not there for profit'',,uuuuuummmmmm, I didn't know that's how insurance companies worked,,learn something new every day,,,, LOL!!!

What happened to the $1000.00 policy, talked you into $4000.00 policy,,,just curious

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Most of the AIL "free insurances" are $1000. I too belong to a few places that offer this free insurance. I have always declined the additional "come out to the house" deal, because they just want to see you more of course. But I do know when you are educated about these insurance policies, they do pay out. SANS (snowmobile assoc) has this and I had a friend died from a snowmobile accident 4 years ago, it only took a few weeks and they paid out to his wife. It helps with final expenses and it was all for free.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The longer an organization is promoting AIL, the larger the free insurance coverage is. BANS started lower, but is now 4,000 dollars. They certainly do pay
their policies, and as I said, they are up and up and the relationships with the organizations and clients is top notch!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts