Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going through some trail cam pics today and I have a lot of pics of this lone coyote. It is the colour of a Lab, with very dark eyes. I’ve seen a fair number of coyotes, but never one like this. Is this a common colour ??? Any trappers that have seen this colour phase ??? Maybe it’s not that uncommon. Sorry for the picture quality
Vertebrate Output device Rectangle Organism Art

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I've seen an all black one and one that was black al along it's back.

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
kinda red foxy lookin

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Havent seen much colour variation on my cams - did see a nearly all black one once when fishing.
And one of my sons got this one on a yote hunt...

Snow Carnivore Tree Hat Fawn

Snow Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Felidae

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been doing a bit of research … and it appears it is a blonde phase coyote. I don’t think they are uncommon, but it’s a new one to me.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I've taken them from full blown black almost wolf like , to deep shapes of grey with blonde tips on the guard hairs , to almost red in color , and yes lots of blonde ones , blondish red with black mane stripe down the back to the tail is the most common I find . Got a all grey one on cam this yr , I'll have go thru SD card as never downloaded it . Colour variations will even vary in the pups , seen a litter on Cam 4 yrs ago 3 outta the 6 were grey while rest were all light blonde .

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
They see quite a few blonds in Ontario some have shown them here over the years also Cheers

·
GREYBEARD
2,930 Posts
I have seen coyotes that varied from black, blonde, grey and tan.
A couple years in the Spring I has seen 8-10 coyotes in about a week or so, there was a lot of color variation with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts