Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So hunting my land this year it just seemed that things were off with the deer behavior. The deer that came to my stand came from between my cabin and my stand, not the main woods area and returned there. I even walked past ones lying down at my cabin one morning. What pressured them to go there. There was no big bucks, and very few bucks that even came into the area at all. Once hunting season finished I took a walk to my property lines. There was evidence of human traffic from the lower end and to my right, along the survey lines. Interesting. I wandered about until I crested a hill and found my self at a bait pile with two roving trail cams. The rotating ones that follow you. Now a few years back on NSH I mentioned about a roaming nature guy that had been on folks property and had been causing problems by phoning in complaints on what he did not like. Many put the run on him. So it appeared to me that this fellow was probably the one that these belonged to. They were not locked so I scooped them up and carried them out. Took a drive to find this bird and yep they were his. Talking to him it gets better, he tells me that I missed the third camera on my land. He has had them there most of the year feeding the animals on the main trail coming off the mountain. He says he checks them every day between 3:30 and 4:00. Holey fek, no wonder things were off. We talk and I tell him that its hard to have deer come in to my stand if he is in the woods roaming about at hunting season, that he is looking to get shot. He then tells me that he no way had the selection of bait I had at my stand. So the idiot has been to my stand on hunting days. What does one do with that? I had my fisker machette with me that day and I had contemplated cutting both cameras in half with one strike and leaving them there on the ground. Wonder if the bird will consider how fortunate he is to have them returned and go else where. I doubt it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
So hunting my land this year it just seemed that things were off with the deer behavior. The deer that came to my stand came from between my cabin and my stand, not the main woods area and returned there. I even walked past ones lying down at my cabin one morning. What pressured them to go there. There was no big bucks, and very few bucks that even came into the area at all. Once hunting season finished I took a walk to my property lines. There was evidence of human traffic from the lower end and to my right, along the survey lines. Interesting. I wandered about until I crested a hill and found my self at a bait pile with two roving trail cams. The rotating ones that follow you. Now a few years back on NSH I mentioned about a roaming nature guy that had been on folks property and had been causing problems by phoning in complaints on what he did not like. Many put the run on him. So it appeared to me that this fellow was probably the one that these belonged to. They were not locked so I scooped them up and carried them out. Took a drive to find this bird and yep they were his. Talking to him it gets better, he tells me that I missed the third camera on my land. He has had them there most of the year feeding the animals on the main trail coming off the mountain. He says he checks them every day between 3:30 and 4:00. Holey fek, no wonder things were off. We talk and I tell him that its hard to have deer come in to my stand if he is in the woods roaming about at hunting season, that he is looking to get shot. He then tells me that he no way had the selection of bait I had at my stand. So the idiot has been to my stand on hunting days. What does one do with that? I had my fisker machette with me that day and I had contemplated cutting both cameras in half with one strike and leaving them there on the ground. Wonder if the bird will consider how fortunate he is to have them returned and go else where. I doubt it.
Although we did harvest early season, late season was a complete waste of time due to a similar position. We have a complete idiot that owns land next to ours and states no matter what he owns the lower section of ours where our stand is!! Land which is registered to us with Land Registry. He has even threatened us with tresspassing on our own property, go figure. He won't have it and well and truly messed up our late season hunts with his constant walking all over the place. No wonder deer have been scarce with Mr Idiot walking around like he owns everything. Let alone the danger of his idiotness!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Unfortunately, you have meet one of those " entitled " individuals. No, this person will not change their ways anytime soon even though he is mostly a danger to himself.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That is one thing I do bot miss in NS. Deer season is NS is amazing and truly enjoyed. But the year before we moved I had permission to hunt a nice parcel of land in Chelsea that I contemplated buying from the owner as he asked if I was interested. This fella from Clarks Harbour was continually in there even when he was asked to leave. I come in a couple days later and my stand was cut up. That was it for that place. One thing about being so far north in Alberta, is the amount of crown land...millions of acres. Stay off the cut lines and your good to go lol.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
You did right by returning his cameras this time, different story next time tho. Now tell him to stay out and he wore out his welcome. Once told to keep out by the owner the property protection act is nullified. Plus he's not allowed to leave or dump stuff on your property,this includes feed for wildlife and cameras. In other words as the great Alice Cooper sang- NO MORE MR NICE GUY.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Although we did harvest early season, late season was a complete waste of time due to a similar position. We have a complete idiot that owns land next to ours and states no matter what he owns the lower section of ours where our stand is!! Land which is registered to us with Land Registry. He has even threatened us with tresspassing on our own property, go figure. He won't have it and well and truly messed up our late season hunts with his constant walking all over the place. No wonder deer have been scarce with Mr Idiot walking around like he owns everything. Let alone the danger of his idiotness!
That sucks. Sounds like a real clown. Next time he's on your land Hubby should wear a hoody and a ski mask and have a good " talk" to him. Just before the season starts would be best since he'd really have trouble walking around with a broken leg or two!

·
Registered
266 Posts
That sucks. Sounds like a real clown. Next time he's on your land Hubby should wear a hoody and a ski mask and have a good " talk" to him. Just before the season starts would be best since he'd really have trouble walking around with a broken leg or two!
Lol, funny you have the same thoughts as us! Your also right on the clown front, he is that and more!

·
Administrator
9,933 Posts
If he was warned before, and still continue to trespass on your property and being a dik...he'd have never got his cameras back (at least not in one piece) !!

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Sorry to hear this but I think any one that has had land big enough to keep deer on has run into one of these idiots at least once during hunting season I know we have and you are very kind giving him back his gear

If I am reading this right and I may not you have more of a problem than most land owners and it actually did happen to us about 20 years ago

This guy is not a hunter that is going away after hunting season and feeds the deer all year

He could kill more deer on your property than you even did if allowed to do it over the winter

We had this happen with four tree huggers on our land and at the time the DNR told us if not feeding the deer what they normally eat over the winter and doing it on a regular basis they will have a lot of digestive issues and some will die as a result. I have no clue if that ever happened at our place but I can tell you what did

Their over winter feeding kept the deer close to the feed and away from their wintering yards , normal escape routes etc so they became easy picking for coyotes ( that we seen ) and the other thing we noticed by staying close to that feed over the winter they ate every thing they could also around the feed which moved them out of this area the next year since they never wintered on our property in the past

If this idiot is indeed winter feeding some how you have to get rid of him and I wish I knew how. He is 1000% worse than any hunter on your land feeding deer during deer season

Happy Holidays

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to hear this but I think any one that has had land big enough to keep deer on has run into one of these idiots at least once during hunting season I know we have and you are very kind giving him back his gear

If I am reading this right and I may not you have more of a problem than most land owners and it actually did happen to us about 20 years ago

This guy is not a hunter that is going away after hunting season and feeds the deer all year

He could kill more deer on your property than you even did if allowed to do it over the winter

We had this happen with four tree huggers on our land and at the time the DNR told us if not feeding the deer what they normally eat over the winter and doing it on a regular basis they will have a lot of digestive issues and some will die as a result. I have no clue if that ever happened at our place but I can tell you what did

Their over winter feeding kept the deer close to the feed and away from their wintering yards , normal escape routes etc so they became easy picking for coyotes ( that we seen ) and the other thing we noticed by staying close to that feed over the winter they ate every thing they could also around the feed which moved them out of this area the next year since they never wintered on our property in the past

If this idiot is indeed winter feeding some how you have to get rid of him and I wish I knew how. He is 1000% worse than any hunter on your land feeding deer during deer season

Happy Holidays
Your right there. I am really hoping he thinks about getting his good cameras back. After alienating the big farms below by calling the county on there old farm machinery in the fields they boxed his property in by fencing around him. I guess he thought he would go up the mountain and come in from the top. He is not a hunter, a nature, photo geek. He has been goin around opening up abandoned trails on peoples land, which as we know only leads to increased traffic. You never know with this type which way they will go, go away or become a bigger problem. My buddy said the last pic on his camera should have been down the barrel of a double 12
biggrin.png

·
Administrator
9,933 Posts
I agree with your buddy !!

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Your right there. I am really hoping he thinks about getting his good cameras back. After alienating the big farms below by calling the county on there old farm machinery in the fields they boxed his property in by fencing around him. I guess he thought he would go up the mountain and come in from the top. He is not a hunter, a nature, photo geek. He has been goin around opening up abandoned trails on peoples land, which as we know only leads to increased traffic. You never know with this type which way they will go, go away or become a bigger problem. My buddy said the last pic on his camera should have been down the barrel of a double 12:D
So long as whoever is holding the 12 is not identifiable

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So long as whoever is holding the 12 is not identifiable
As the deer season closed I seen his boot marks through the property, probably his route to his third camera. I am expecting him to be an ass. Last trail cam pics I had two weeks ago were a blonde and brunette out running six pit bulls. Could be a great hunting season, my blind has three seats. :)

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
As the deer season closed I seen his boot marks through the property, probably his route to his third camera. I am expecting him to be an ass. Last trail cam pics I had two weeks ago were a blonde and brunette out running six pit bulls. Could be a great hunting season, my blind has three seats. :)
Ya right :D:Dlike she would sit with you . Great season for those pit bulls when they eat your sorry ass
No more worries about that other guy any more. The word is out you have not been vaccinated so you will have the place all to yourself :)

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
A three seat hunting blind is trouble!
You best find out who they are and make it clear they can’t walk they’re dogs there. The dogs will chit everywhere Andy the scent will keep the deer away, plus the dogs might attack you pit bulls don’t like scary looking old guys!

·
Administrator
9,933 Posts
Are you planning to stand while the 3 dogs sit ???

·
Administrator
9,933 Posts
I'll pass...no FN way I'm draggin a 800 lb bear or a 400 lb buck outta there !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts