Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried to license my new quad this week, asked for excemption to the infra. fund as I mostly harvest on my own land. Request was returned by mail denied.Guys how can the fund benefit me, from what i hear you can`t go anywhere these days on an ATV without breaking some regulation, and i`m talking hunting and fishing . how aboutsome input on this topic.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
As far as I know you can register for use on your own property only.
What was the reason given for denial?
If they gave none I'd be calling and asking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Earndog
You can ride on trails that your local trail assoc. has constructed.And as far as private land goes you can drive on it as long as there is a existing atv trail there,and it not posted no atv's.Of course you can not ride in marshy areas, lakes or streams.It might help to know that most of the money to register your atv is to help fund trail developement.

·
Banned
215 Posts
tried to license my new quad this week, asked for excemption to the infra. fund as I mostly harvest on my own land. Request was returned by mail denied.Guys how can the fund benefit me, from what i hear you can`t go anywhere these days on an ATV without breaking some regulation, and i`m talking hunting and fishing . how aboutsome input on this topic.
The form for the "EXEMPTION" is not a request form, it is a statement of facts, and it should not be denied????

Here is a link to the form: http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/pdf/ans-rmv-off-highway-vehicles-exemption.pdf

I register my ATV online: http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/access/online-services/browser-requirements-vehicle-permit-renewal.asp?bhcp=1

If you register online, you can easily opt-out of the $40 infrastructure FEE, and just pay the vehicle registration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice guys, these dnr people exercise broad powers and sometimes doing something which we consider a non-voilation earns us a hefty fine. I do sometimes get on the lakes behind my property,and thanks for the tip, enter infra fund. (for a lake? i don`t get that one.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The exemption is usually not an issue provided you ride 100% on your own land...

The issue then becomes a very nice fine for you if by any chance you happen to decide to ride off of your land

even for just a moment and get caught.. now you'll have improper registration to boot....

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
thanks for the advice guys, these dnr people exercise broad powers and sometimes doing something which we consider a non-voilation earns us a hefty fine. I do sometimes get on the lakes behind my property,and thanks for the tip, enter infra fund. (for a lake? i don`t get that one.
It would be Dept of Motor Vehicles or Service NS you would be dealing with for this not DNR,unless....
You register your bike that you will be staying on YOUR property and the drive onto the lake (once it is sufficiently frozen of course)...you don't own that.
THEN.... DNR can write you a ticket or two,possibly/probably tow your machine at your cost and they will be well within their rights to.
IF...you register your bike as you will only be using it on YOUR property.

·
Registered
575 Posts
In this part of the Province the whole Infrastructure, trails fee is a joke. They have fixed up a few kms of the old rail bed, but none of it is linked together. If you want to go for a ride you truck your bike to a piece of trail that has been fixed up,...drive for 4-5kms,...run out of trail,...turn around, drive back to the truck and thats it. After all the rules and regulations came along a few years ago the only thing I have seen them spend alot of money on was buying new ATV'S and 4x4 trucks and paying CO'S to drive around the woods where nobody else is aloud to be to make sure we are not in there. So IMO they have/are taking our tax dollars and trails fee and used it to take away privilges. IMO the extra $40 we have to pay is just another government money grab. I don't know about anyone else but my ass is gettin sore.

·
Registered
576 Posts
In this part of the Province the whole Infrastructure, trails fee is a joke. They have fixed up a few kms of the old rail bed, but none of it is linked together. If you want to go for a ride you truck your bike to a piece of trail that has been fixed up,...drive for 4-5kms,...run out of trail,...turn around, drive back to the truck and thats it. After all the rules and regulations came along a few years ago the only thing I have seen them spend alot of money on was buying new ATV'S and 4x4 trucks and paying CO'S to drive around the woods where nobody else is aloud to be to make sure we are not in there. So IMO they have/are taking our tax dollars and trails fee and used it to take away privilges. IMO the extra $40 we have to pay is just another government money grab. I don't know about anyone else but my ass is gettin sore.
I agree with you 100%, I and others brought this up a while back on this local ATV discussion site, see direct link:

http://joebiker.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=atv&action=display&thread=1310

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Kinda like the Habitat Fund money...if nobody applies and volunteers to do the work the work on the trails won't get done and the money will be handed out elsewhere and to places that clubs do do the work.
I'm not sure where you get the idea C/O's get
#1 ...paid from the fund
#2 ...their gear is purchased from the fund

Both come from tax dollars not the infrastructure fund and I suspect they are doing a lot more than just looking for illegal ATV stuff when out..

·
Registered
575 Posts
Kinda like the Habitat Fund money...if nobody applies and volunteers to do the work the work on the trails won't get done and the money will be handed out elsewhere and to places that clubs do do the work.
I'm not sure where you get the idea C/O's get
#1 ...paid from the fund
#2 ...their gear is purchased from the fund

Both come from tax dollars not the infrastructure fund and I suspect they are doing a lot more than just looking for illegal ATV stuff when out..
I hear ya KPR,......I guess my post was'nt all that clear,....I know all those things aren't funded by the infrastructure money, and if you take notice I wrote " tax dollars and trail fee " and the reason I said trail fee is because I don't think it is all spent where they tell us it is spent
......I guess I'm a little bitter because they are charging us MORE to ride our ATV'S in LESS places. As for the guys out patroling around on these new bikes, I'm not sure if they are CO'S or what their offical title is, but I do know they were out patroling for ATV riders,....and I guess thats OK, but I think it is an unnecessary spend of tax dollars.

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Should get out and join your local club and put some time (even just one weekend) helping out on the trails....every little bit helps.
Its the only way it will get done in your area.

I'd love to be able to a round the province buggy tour.
Instead of trucking your buggy twenty times locally to do a bit of the trail, truck it somewhere you can do a long stretch on the trail...
New Germany - Middleton - Bridgetown or Coldbrook...Caledonia - New Germany or Yarmouth - Weymouth and either have someone pick you up there or turn around and head back.
Get a taste of what "could be" in your area.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Should get out and join your local club and put some time (even just one weekend) helping out on the trails....every little bit helps.
Its the only way it will get done in your area.

I'd love to be able to a round the province buggy tour.
Instead of trucking your buggy twenty times locally to do a bit of the trail, truck it somewhere you can do a long stretch on the trail...
New Germany - Middleton - Bridgetown or Coldbrook...Caledonia - New Germany or Yarmouth - Weymouth and either have someone pick you up there or turn around and head back.
Get a taste of what "could be" in your area.
Our trails down this way will always be just short runs because we have too many Communities and towns that will not allow ATV travel,such as Summerville, Sable River, Jordan, and Shelburne. This is why it is a little frustrating paying a trail fee, when the only way we can get a day of trail riding is if we truck our bikes for 75 or 100 kms to an area such as you mentioned above. Our old rail beds here are in such disrepair and grown in that the ATV club has to contract them out to be cut out and repaired by construction contractors. So very little or nothing gets or can be done by volunteer manual labour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts