Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to increase the oiling intervals. So humid. Got them all done this am, dehumidifier going around the clock. Never had any rust issues over the years with keeping the oil to them. Three more months till I let the boys out.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
I have used stag blue rigid synthetic gun oil and quality silicone socks like allen or browning for many many years which I retreat with silicone every 7-10 years on EVERY gun I own
Have had times where a few 100 were covered at a time in a heated unfinished basement and never had even one issue with rust forming and only really reoil once a year
Also wear cotton gloves when handling them after oiling and putting them in the socks I found that important
The cheap socks don't work as well
When I got sick 16 years ago my guns were not taken out of the socks or oiled for 3 years and I expected a lot of issues but never had even one not even a slight sign of rust forming including the known to rust remington express finishes
Also have an air exchanger and a dehumidifier running in the basement
Cheers

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used stag blue rigid synthetic gun oil and quality silicone socks like allen or browning for many many years which I retreat with silicone every 7-10 years on EVERY gun I own
Have had times where a few 100 were covered at a time in a heated unfinished basement and never had even one issue with rust forming and only really reoil once a year
Also wear cotton gloves when handling them after oiling and putting them in the socks I found that important
The cheap socks don't work as well
When I got sick 16 years ago my guns were not taken out of the socks or oiled for 3 years and I expected a lot of issues but never had even one not even a slight sign of rust forming including the known to rust remington express finishes
Also have an air exchanger and a dehumidifier running in the basement
Cheers
It is amazing how much water the dehumidifier gathers with the heat, humidity. There well worth it.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I use Ballistol lubricant. I am also lucky enough to to have a basement that hovers around 45-50% humidity all year round. High humidity days, I will turn on a dehumidifier. Have never had a rust problem. I used to use WD40, then read some articles about using that on a firearm. They all said it was a no-no. I had no issues with it, but I switched to Ballistol a few years back. Oiling a gun is the easiest preventative maintenance thing you can do to protect them.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use Ballistol lubricant. I am also lucky enough to to have a basement that hovers around 45-50% humidity all year round. High humidity days, I will turn on a dehumidifier. Have never had a rust problem. I used to use WD40, then read some articles about using that on a firearm. They all said it was a no-no. I had no issues with it, but I switched to Ballistol a few years back. Oiling a gun is the easiest preventative maintenance thing you can do to protect them.
For some reason Greenwood each day tops the temps for Nova Scotia. Every forecast one can add 4 degrees to the temp here for a true reading. Each summer I set the dehumidifier up just in case. Its not just the house, outside today, and the garage one could cut the air with an knife. I see the changes in old car restoration, if metal is not quickly treated then rust starts. Never used to be that way. I remember years ago buffing metal in the garage and leaving for months with no sign of rusting. I buy that red gun oil made by lucas, because it has no odor, seems to work ok.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
For some reason Greenwood each day tops the temps for Nova Scotia. Every forecast one can add 4 degrees to the temp here for a true reading. Each summer I set the dehumidifier up just in case. Its not just the house, outside today, and the garage one could cut the air with an knife. I see the changes in old car restoration, if metal is not quickly treated then rust starts. Never used to be that way. I remember years ago buffing metal in the garage and leaving for months with no sign of rusting. I buy that red gun oil made by lucas, because it has no odor, seems to work ok.
That is because you work on old FORDS now :D:D. They rust looking at them

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
I always take all my guns out of the safe at least 3 times a year and wipe them all down with G96. Then they all go into a silicone sock...everyone of em ! I have too much invested to be a slack arse and ignore my "babies" ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
My basement is my hot weather refuge .always nice and cool down there . the dehumidifier is set on continuous run set for 30% humidity .I dump it twice in a 24 hour period . guns get looked at and wiped down by monthly .

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My basement is my hot weather refuge .always nice and cool down there . the dehumidifier is set on continuous run set for 30% humidity .I dump it twice in a 24 hour period . guns get looked at and wiped down by monthly .
Thats about the same here. I think some firearms are more prone to rust than others.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The only thing that ever rusted was my trombone in my parents basement back in the day. The ol' Rusty Trombone.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Kind of shocked no one has experienced the benefits of the silicone socks for rust control like I have. I would not store a gun with out one
Cheers

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
yesterday I had 5 to clean up after a weekend at the range....so I did the rest of them in the safe..everything was the way it should be with them...perfect !!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Between late last night and early this morning got bunch wiped down checked over with zero signs of rust , pretty good where mine are stored , we have two Air Exchangers with humidity control , half basement with pony wall fully finished , main living area , so really comfortable even in winter . I'll do bunch more later today just get it done while weather is not co-operative with outside work .

Wife hates the smell of the silicone and oils but knows its gotta be done , i know theres scent free stuff there in my cleaning gear but the stuff I use this time of yr works great so why bother to change .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts