Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
101 - 120 of 143 Posts

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Not deer numbers but bear numbers at my camp have fallen drastically. I for the first time ever had no bears on my trail cam this entire year. It was not uncommon to have as many as 10 different bears. I mentioned this before but just down the road (1klm) is a big farm that the crops were being ravaged. DNR did nothing so they take it upon themselves to sit in a front end loader and shoot them 14-20 per August-September, then scoop them up and dump in woods. This has been going on for 10 years now. In the last three years on the other side of me another farm doing the same. Some laughed at me saying there was one around 500-600 lbs. I have learned he was shot in April and dumped in the woods as he was hanging around garbage bins at 8 of the new homes that got built. Shame. Same was done when I moved here in 95 to the deer. Farms that grew grapes etc, culled / took 30 some deer at a time. These areas still have nothing come back.
Unfortunately it happens all too often. And yes DLF does turn a blind eye to many game infractions. Can’t say I blame the farmers either because they are just trying to protect their livelihood. They could try letting people hunt to cut down numbers but that doesn’t always turn out so well as you pointed out with the dead cow. Too bad but in the end game animals go to waste and everyone suffers.

Reactions: TonyM

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
The real scary part is that could be who may be hunting next to you :(
Yep for sure. That’s why I try to go back - way back where there are no trails. When on well worn paths ,logging roads if not on the ATV I make lots of noise, sing, whistle cough, fart and curse loudly so if someone tell you they saw some really crazy old guy in the woods apparently hunting cause he had a gun was walking around and every minute or so he would start cursing a blue streak very loudly, well likely me!

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Yep for sure. That’s why I try to go back - way back where there are no trails. When on well worn paths ,logging roads if not on the ATV I make lots of noise, sing, whistle cough, fart and curse loudly so if someone tell you they saw some really crazy old guy in the woods apparently hunting cause he had a gun was walking around and every minute or so he would start cursing a blue streak very loudly, well likely me!
Yep. That's why I'm always cautious when I meet other hunters.in the field. Friendly but watchful because you never know.

· Registered
3,039 Posts
So the way I read that it was 1954 it came into law not 1890 from england :) . The key word being refinement of what was already in place and listing what these refinements were thanks Gary
did some more reading. So looks like it was legal for farmers to kill large game under this act. Things changed some in 1954 (previous post#91) under the Lands & Forests Act.

"The Forests and Game Act of 1923 set seasons and a bag limits for moose, deer and caribou and prohibited the hunting of females and young of these species. The Act allowed farmers to chase off or kill large game which was destroying their crops. It was still legal to sell the meat of these animals during limited periods of the year but the meat had to be certified to indicate that it was lawfully killed. A close season for beaver, fisher and marten was established. The provisions in this statute for seasons and bag limits for game birds are very similar to those contained in the 1900 legislation. The number and types of licences provided for by the statute increased. Export permits were now required for all game protected by the statute."

· Registered
18,481 Posts
did some more reading. So looks like it was legal for farmers to kill large game under this act. Things changed some in 1954 (previous post#91) under the Lands & Forests Act.

"The Forests and Game Act of 1923 set seasons and a bag limits for moose, deer and caribou and prohibited the hunting of females and young of these species. The Act allowed farmers to chase off or kill large game which was destroying their crops. It was still legal to sell the meat of these animals during limited periods of the year but the meat had to be certified to indicate that it was lawfully killed. A close season for beaver, fisher and marten was established. The provisions in this statute for seasons and bag limits for game birds are very similar to those contained in the 1900 legislation. The number and types of licences provided for by the statute increased. Export permits were now required for all game protected by the statute."
Thanks Gary for taking the time to research this for us. So old grandpa was fine until 1954 and then a poacher :)
It is only an opinion since I have no clue but I bet even through it was added in 1954 it wasn't enforced until much later
Like I said earlier no phone and no one for a mile next to him how would any one know
thanks again

· Registered
172 Posts
I wish we had the issue of the farmers shooting enough bears to hurt the population. Our deer herd is very strong around the camp, but the bear population is climbing rapidly. Just in the last 3 years alone, my neighbour and I shot 7 bears 125 yards from the camp. And litterly anywhere I put a camera around I get bears travelling deer bedding areas. And heaven forbid, you put apples, corn or any form of bait out. In October and September, they were out in full force, too a point I stopped baiting any stands all together hoping they’d leave. I don’t even view them as a big game animal anymore, more of a massive raccoon.

I’ve had it in the spring and summer time cooking on the BBQ. Within an hour of cooking, a bear come out of the woods and try and go off with the BBQ or smoker right off our covers porch. Tied the BBQ to the spindles on the deck to return after trout fishing, to have half a dozen spindles ripped off and the BBQ half way across the yard
Not deer numbers but bear numbers at my camp have fallen drastically. I for the first time ever had no bears on my trail cam this entire year. It was not uncommon to have as many as 10 different bears. I mentioned this before but just down the road (1klm) is a big farm that the crops were being ravaged. DNR did nothing so they take it upon themselves to sit in a front end loader and shoot them 14-20 per August-September, then scoop them up and dump in woods. This has been going on for 10 years now. In the last three years on the other side of me another farm doing the same. Some laughed at me saying there was one around 500-600 lbs. I have learned he was shot in April and dumped in the woods as he was hanging around garbage bins at 8 of the new homes that got built. Shame. Same was done when I moved here in 95 to the deer. Farms that grew grapes etc, culled / took 30 some deer at a time. These areas still have nothing come back.

· Registered
18,481 Posts
I wish we had the issue of the farmers shooting enough bears to hurt the population. Our deer herd is very strong around the camp, but the bear population is climbing rapidly. Just in the last 3 years alone, my neighbour and I shot 7 bears 125 yards from the camp. And litterly anywhere I put a camera around I get bears travelling deer bedding areas. And heaven forbid, you put apples, corn or any form of bait out. In October and September, they were out in full force, too a point I stopped baiting any stands all together hoping they’d leave. I don’t even view them as a big game animal anymore, more of a massive raccoon.

I’ve had it in the spring and summer time cooking on the BBQ. Within an hour of cooking, a bear come out of the woods and try and go off with the BBQ or smoker right off our covers porch. Tied the BBQ to the spindles on the deck to return after trout fishing, to have half a dozen spindles ripped off and the BBQ half way across the yard
You guys have way more balls than I do . Fighting racoons all summer on the deck and BBQ is bad enough I would crap if a bear walked up the steps
Worst thing I think we ever did was install cameras everything from coyotes, bobs cats, foxes etc going through the yard almost daily which I never knew before were ever that close to the house:(

· Registered
310 Posts
You guys have way more balls than I do . Fighting racoons all summer on the deck and BBQ is bad enough I would crap if a bear walked up the steps
Worst thing I think we ever did was install cameras everything from coyotes, bobs cats, foxes etc going through the yard almost daily which I never knew before were ever that close to the house:(
Thems bobcats are sneaky little buggers. Chances are most people have some around their property. I see them all the time in the trail cams, never in person.

· Registered
4,040 Posts
Yrs ago Staying with my Dad up in Brookland/ Newport Corner area , it was the same there for a while almost daily Bears at backside of dad's property , sitting having coffee and breakfast one morning and huge boar around 350- 400 almost crashed thru patio door , it smelled breakfast cooking and came up for a plate 😂😂😂 what it actually got was a 12 gauge slug when it refused to leave and continued to try break in .

· Registered
18,481 Posts
Thems bobcats are sneaky little buggers. Chances are most people have some around their property. I see them all the time in the trail cams, never in person.
And scared of nothing
Told the story here before, 2 suymmers ago working in the garden and went and sat on the bench to take a break and seen the bushes moving 100 feet away figured dam another deer coming in
Nope big bob cat. Walking right towards me checked the wind and it was good so stayed perfectly still
At 10 feet I got scared and jumped up and started to scream at it. Stopped looked at me hissed and didnot move. Afer 10 minutes which seemed like hours turned around and didnot run walked back up the garden
There was a pair here but the male was killed on the road this summer so assume it is the female I am still seeing
I would watch like 8-10 rabbits a night in the garden now NOTHING not even one

· Registered
310 Posts
Yrs ago Staying with my Dad up in Brookland/ Newport Corner area , it was the same there for a while almost daily Bears at backside of dad's property , sitting having coffee and breakfast one morning and huge boar around 350- 400 almost crashed thru patio door , it smelled breakfast cooking and came up for a plate 😂😂😂 what it actually got was a 12 gauge slug when it refused to leave and continued to try break in .
There was a man recently in the town of Shelburne that had a bear try to tear down his front door in the middle of the night. He shot it 6 times through the door with 12 gauge, it wouldn’t quit until it was dead. For some reason the news didn’t pick it up, but it made its rounds on social media.

· Registered
310 Posts
And scared of nothing
Told the story here before, 2 suymmers ago working in the garden and went and sat on the bench to take a break and seen the bushes moving 100 feet away figured dam another deer coming in
Nope big bob cat. Walking right towards me checked the wind and it was good so stayed perfectly still
At 10 feet I got scared and jumped up and started to scream at it. Stopped looked at me hissed and didnot move. Afer 10 minutes which seemed like hours turned around and didnot run walked back up the garden
There was a pair here but the male was killed on the road this summer so assume it is the female I am still seeing
I would watch like 8-10 rabbits a night in the garden now NOTHING not even one
They have attacked humans before, I know of a forester that was scouting the woods in the late 50s, it jumped right up on his chest and just started knawing and scratching, then he got it off and got a shot at it but missed and it ran off.

· Registered
4,040 Posts
There was a man recently in the town of Shelburne that had a bear try to tear down his front door in the middle of the night. He shot it 6 times through the door with 12 gauge, it wouldn’t quit until it was dead. For some reason the news didn’t pick it up, but it made its rounds on social media.
Seen the Video of the aftermath what the bear attempted and failed at

· Registered
2,933 Posts

Where are you?? You got bear problem and id love to get a bear, im sure others would like an opportunity to get one too. Call a guide in your area and get them to bring in client's with you getting paid to help out.

· Registered
5,316 Posts
So which one of your levers did you shoot the cow with :p
I tell you Joe it was not a great feeling. Two days prior I visited that farmer to get permission. Our first evening there , there was a shot just before dark. My brother was in that direction and we waited for him to return to our vehicle at dark. We were sure it was him, he usually only fires one shot. When he came back we asked him what he got. He said it was not him, that someone fired right next to him. He said right after that he heard two vehicles leave. It went about two months or so with me thinking what the hell do people think of us, maybe that we shot it. Come to find out that the farmer had some trouble makers just up the road. I guess they got drunk at a party one night and spouted off what they had done. I think the cow was about $1000, nothing could be done with them, these people just cause you more money going to court. Nothing worse than having people think your just an orange lunatic with a rifle. The farmer invited me back but knowing what lived around him I declined.

· Registered
5,316 Posts
When they were really plentiful at my camp they would come at 1:30 in the morning ravaging out side. On one night a brute came to the front door. As the window was open and he smelled food he had his paw in the window and half tore out when we woke. There was some scrambling. He was scared at nothing. Got down on all fours at one point and then stood and pounded both feet on the door. We had ran for a 12 gauge but there was a new truck parked behind him preventing us from shooting. He left. I found out some of the guys staying at the camp were dumping left over foods from the stove after lunch, over the hill outside.

· Registered
5,316 Posts
Where are you?? You got bear problem and id love to get a bear, im sure others would like an opportunity to get one too. Call a guide in your area and get them to bring in client's with you getting paid to help out.
One of the things I find about bears is when they become plentiful and people want to hunt them you really have then committed to turning your deer hunting area into a bear area as you start bringing in foods for them and they just keep coming. The only thing one can do if your deer area is being ruined is to stop baiting for a period of time. They will eat anything. For years my land could not be baited for deer until about the second week of November. They are a pain in the ezz.

· Registered
18,481 Posts
I tell you Joe it was not a great feeling. Two days prior I visited that farmer to get permission. Our first evening there , there was a shot just before dark. My brother was in that direction and we waited for him to return to our vehicle at dark. We were sure it was him, he usually only fires one shot. When he came back we asked him what he got. He said it was not him, that someone fired right next to him. He said right after that he heard two vehicles leave. It went about two months or so with me thinking what the hell do people think of us, maybe that we shot it. Come to find out that the farmer had some trouble makers just up the road. I guess they got drunk at a party one night and spouted off what they had done. I think the cow was about $1000, nothing could be done with them, these people just cause you more money going to court. Nothing worse than having people think your just an orange lunatic with a rifle. The farmer invited me back but knowing what lived around him I declined.
I know buddy and was just joking with you and didnot know it was you that asked for them christ I would be sick just thinking about that
In the 80"s we had two cows shot and killed right in the front pasture two different years
They shot from the road in the dark right towards the house and both times she see it happen through the kitchen window
Grandma was sick about it since they were not beef cows and milkers and more pets to her than anything I still remember their names that is how bad that stuck with me :(
She never found out either who did it and I just dug a big hole with the machine and buried them since she didnot want the coyotes to eat them
Take care

101 - 120 of 143 Posts