Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this and thought id share here
I can pass along his contact info from Facebook

Wanted: Responsible hunter near Shelburne, NS to watch over some property during hunting seasons.
You get exclusive access to a gated property with an access road that goes back over one kilometer. Permission to put in trail cams, blinds, bait, tree stands, camp site, and so on.
Watch over the land, tell any idiots to leave the land, and I’ll give you pretty much the run of the place.
I know there are deer, moose, etc. on the land.
PM me if interested.
Regards.
Bruce Maclean

·
Administrator
10,478 Posts
Becha he gets bombarded.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
If its actually legit, and he's just not stirring the pot then this person is a little nieve - likely end up with more a-holes, on his property, than he has now.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I saw this on Fakebook. Lots of uninformed responses about trespassing legalities. It‘s amazing how many people have a different opinion on trespassing laws. This dude is opening up a huge can of worms IMO.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the can is open but it aint full of worms lol
Be interesting to see where this goes

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The Protection of Property Act Deals with access on Forested Lands for Hunting, Hiking ect. While other Acts deal with ATV usage, cutting of trees, placing of stands and blinds, ect. The Short and skinny is that you can access Forested Lands, meeting the definition within PPA, for Hunting. Things is, as so many seem to dismiss, it is on foot only. No ATV's Trucks, Blinds, cutting of lanes ect...

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Protection of Property Act Deals with access on Forested Lands for Hunting, Hiking ect. While other Acts deal with ATV usage, cutting of trees, placing of stands and blinds, ect. The Short and skinny is that you can access Forested Lands, meeting the definition within PPA, for Hunting. Things is, as so many seem to dismiss, it is on foot only. No ATV's Trucks, Blinds, cutting of lanes ect...
Exactly, if I was closer to Shelburne I'd take him up on it with the offer of posting No Trespassing every 50yards around the property.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Sad AND true, Lee. Some take the do what I want trail when it comes to access - Its no wonder so many landowners are pissed off at "hunters".

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I challenged the PPA a few years back through the Provincial Justice Minister when i still owned a woodlot. I must say I was much educated by the conversations I had with that individual. I get a kick out of what i read and/or listen to from many about what they "Think" they can do..Hunting, on Foot, is totally legal. That is where it also stops at. I kept the material from those conversations..

Reactions: 3macs1

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
certainly do not have the 1st hand experience like that, Lee, however do have the experience of hunting/fishing/hiking on a lumber company's land since a teenager. Great family with strong community involvement. Over the years they put gates on the roads and they set up a means for access, if a person complied with their conditions ( no treestands, no target practise, no driving on roads in Spring, no littering, no cutting trees, etc).
Unfortunately, some abused it and things got tighter & tighter. I stopped going, on their lands, several years back - it was disheartening to see the abuse and wasnt interested in witnessing things go downhill like that.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Yes Gary, very much understand and appreciate the Forest Companies problems, along with regular Private Landowners. The shit i went through on my little 60 acre woodlot was crazy. Talk about downhill slide. I spend tons of time on the old Bowater lands, now that it is Crown, as well as before it was Crown for many many years prior. What a change in there. That land has literally became a dumping site and abuse galore in the last 5 years since it changed hands.We are in many cases our own worst enemies, but we just cannot seem to want to admit that...Did i mention that Trout season is less then 3 months away..LOL

·
Registered
146 Posts
It seems to be the same everywhere. I hunt off a road used by a lot of ATVs and between the old cars, car parts, construction debris, household garbage, old tires and the beer and soft drink cans the place is a dump. Because it is fairly close to the city and easy to get to it seems to really catch hell. Mainly from the general public and ATV crowd in this case but also some hunters I'm sure. Disgusting really. People sh__ting where they eat and having zero respect for other people's property.
So, I started picking up the bottles and cans along the road this fall. I was walking back out and had an empty apple bag so decided to fill it up as I went. I don't remember the number but over a couple different days it was about 100 cans/bottles. Not much but it cleaned up the area a bit at least.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
People are pigs, but I also blame a lot of municipalities, only allowed to throw out certain things out etc. for the amount of property taxes paid across this province you should be able to throw almost anything to the curb and have it collected on a weekly basis. If that were the case you wouldn't be dealing with illegal dumping because it would be more work to dump it in the woods, and F those contractors who are too cheap to pay to dispose of construction materials and dump it in the woods.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Yes but the PPA also stipulates that if the owner/ appointed custodian confronts you and tells you to leave you must leave and they can stop you from returning. At least that’s my interpretation of the act.
Tons of landowners don’t know the PPA even exists and neither do a lot of RCMP.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Nothing worse then finding garbage of any kind in the woods or anywhere else. Pisses me off and makes me sick. I would report someone in a heartbeat if I saw it. anyone caught should be fined $100,000.
I agree with beaverhunter we should be able to put everything curbside for pickup. But if you call HRM they will drain a fridge or freezer no charge and then you can put it curbside. Tires can be taken to any place that sells them for disposal, you pay the fee for it when you buy your tires.

·
Registered
146 Posts
People are pigs, but I also blame a lot of municipalities, only allowed to throw out certain things out etc. for the amount of property taxes paid across this province you should be able to throw almost anything to the curb and have it collected on a weekly basis. If that were the case you wouldn't be dealing with illegal dumping because it would be more work to dump it in the woods, and F those contractors who are too cheap to pay to dispose of construction materials and dump it in the woods.
You make a great point! At a cottage in Malagash the bas__ads would drive right by even after we made 100% sure the right stuff was out at the right time. All that after waiting FOREVER for the one "special" time a year you could get rid of a large item. As you say, no wonder some people dump s__t where they shouldn't.
Then some ahole stole the two garbage cans from the side of the road!! And, left a dryer on the side of the road to go with the stove we had out out!!!!! Took a phone call to force them to make a special trip to pick up the stuff. Thankfully the woman in the office was understanding.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Yes but the PPA also stipulates that if the owner/ appointed custodian confronts you and tells you to leave you must leave and they can stop you from returning. At least that’s my interpretation of the act.
Tons of landowners don’t know the PPA even exists and neither do a lot of RCMP.
Agree 100%. Been there years ago with family land
Cheers

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Exactly, if I was closer to Shelburne I'd take him up on it with the offer of posting No Trespassing every 50yards around the property.
But why waste time posting no trespass signs when the PPA allows people to ignore the signs and enter for recreational purposes?

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
It looked good until I got to the part where it says there are moose there.
To take him up on the Deal you’d have to be there all season. Plus might run into some problems with local regulars used to hunting there could get sticky.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts