Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
You make a great point! At a cottage in Malagash the bas__ads would drive right by even after we made 100% sure the right stuff was out at the right time. All that after waiting FOREVER for the one "special" time a year you could get rid of a large item. As you say, no wonder some people dump s__t where they shouldn't.
Then some ahole stole the two garbage cans from the side of the road!! And, left a dryer on the side of the road to go with the stove we had out out!!!!! Took a phone call to force them to make a special trip to pick up the stuff. Thankfully the woman in the office was understanding.
Good on you for making the phone call, make noise get action. Likely just lazy azz guys on the truck didn’t want to bother.
Malagash hey- nice spot used to be lots of deer but dropped off after that bad winter, have they come back haven’t been up there for a few years now to hunt anyway. Lots of bears now for sure. Fairly good duck and geese hunting too. Hunted the base road quite a bit and had permission to hunt some of the land on the point. A buddy has a camp up there ( lives in Tatamagouche ) another buddy has a summer place up there on the water.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
But why waste time posting no trespass signs when the PPA allows people to ignore the signs and enter for recreational purposes?
The statement about posting No Trespass Signage every 50 Feet is nothing but a Myth in NS.A very long lived Myth too... You cannot find it in any Act or Reg that NS has. In my challenge of the PPA I also brought this up to the Minister, whom quickly squashed it. However if there is signage, folks should be respecting the landowners wishes regardless ...

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Like said above … posting signs every 50 ft apart is just a waste of the landowners time and money. Just a myth … as is the one, if land is posted “no hunting” … even the landowner can’t hunt. Most people don’t know the rules when it comes to hunting. If a landowner confronts you and tells you to leave … you must leave.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good on you for making the phone call, make noise get action. Likely just lazy azz guys on the truck didn’t want to bother.
Malagash hey- nice spot used to be lots of deer but dropped off after that bad winter, have they come back haven’t been up there for a few years now to hunt anyway. Lots of bears now for sure. Fairly good duck and geese hunting too. Hunted the base road quite a bit and had permission to hunt some of the land on the point. A buddy has a camp up there ( lives in Tatamagouche ) another buddy has a summer place up there on the water.
I haven't hunted in the area yet. Been too busy refurbishing the cottage last year.
Yes there seems to be quite a few deer around the area now. There are also a lot of bears from what I've seen. Saw two on the road on the way to Blue Sea Beach last summer, at least one on the Great Trail near Wallace Station while biking, saw other sign while biking on another spot on the trail, one was into an apple tree on the property and had piles of bear s__t on both the front and back lawns of the cottage last fall. So based on that I'd say there are a fair amount of them in the Wallace to Tatamagouche area at least.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Like said above … posting signs every 50 ft apart is just a waste of the landowners time and money. Just a myth … as is the one, if land is posted “no hunting” … even the landowner can’t hunt. Most people don’t know the rules when it comes to hunting. If a landowner confronts you and tells you to leave … you must leave.
Yes all true but if your going to hunt private land posted or not you should ask permission out of respect anyway. I always do and quite often get a funny look and a response like “ lots hunting there but your the first to ask permission “. I don’t even want to hunt where I’m not welcome.

Reactions: 3macs1

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
The statement about posting No Trespass Signage every 50 Feet is nothing but a Myth in NS.A very long lived Myth too... You cannot find it in any Act or Reg that NS has. In my challenge of the PPA I also brought this up to the Minister, whom quickly squashed it. However if there is signage, folks should be respecting the landowners wishes regardless ...
Yea it can be a real chitshow too many just hunt where ever they please, take their 4 wheeler in and cut paths wherever they please and think it’s okay. The biggest problem I have with it is nine times outta ten the “ city boys” get blamed. I’ve hunted almost every county in NS so I’ve gotten to know land owners and the regular hunters, local or not and in my experience the locals are usually the ones doing what they shouldn’t be.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I haven't hunted in the area yet. Been too busy refurbishing the cottage last year.
Yes there seems to be quite a few deer around the area now. There are also a lot of bears from what I've seen. Saw two on the road on the way to Blue Sea Beach last summer, at least one on the Great Trail near Wallace Station while biking, saw other sign while biking on another spot on the trail, one was into an apple tree on the property and had piles of bear s__t on both the front and back lawns of the cottage last fall. So based on that I'd say there are a fair amount of them in the Wallace to Tatamagouche area at least.
Blue sea rd loop and the point are where I used to hunt the most,the place was crawling with deer a few years back. Now it’s crawling with bears,their everywhere up there. Your cottage in malagash? another buddy of mine has a camp in Tatamagouche no sense telling ya his name cause their all Langille’s up there!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts