Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5,318 Posts

· Registered
1,281 Posts
Establish there was a season?.. was that ever in question???, or am I missing something?

Anyways, Poachers using Natives hunting as an excuse to "poach"... is nothing more than that.. AN EXCUSE..

· Registered
5,318 Posts
Establish there was a season?.. was that ever in question???, or am I missing something?

Anyways, Poachers using Natives hunting as an excuse to "poach"... is nothing more than that.. AN EXCUSE..
I think you missed the point. Our government can make up seasons for non natives, I guess in the attempt to ensure over hunting of a species doesn't occur. Would you agree with this reasoning?

· Registered
5,079 Posts
A small step in the right direction but like throwing a pebble into a lake and expecting waves.

· Registered
1,281 Posts
Yes, Gov't has seasons set.. always been that way for as long as i can remember...
Nothing new there.. :)
Be a few reasons for it i'd guess, not just one...

Step in the right direction?, been Laws and poachers breaking those laws for a LONNNNG time.
I'm sure they are not the first, nor the last.. That has nothing to do with Natives..(just throwing that out there ;) )

"The offence occurred in the Cape Breton Highlands on Sept. 13, 2014 and moose hunting season didn't open until Sept. 29."
These guys were hunting out of season and were caught ... nothing more, nothing less..
(whether it be moose, deer, rabbit, grouse, or trout..)

Lets try not to turn in anything more than what it is..(I maybe be wrong, but I get feeling where this was/is heading)

· Registered
5,318 Posts
Yes, Gov't has seasons set.. always been that way for as long as i can remember...
Nothing new there.. :)
Be a few reasons for it i'd guess, not just one...

Step in the right direction?, been Laws and poachers breaking those laws for a LONNNNG time.
I'm sure they are not the first, nor the last.. That has nothing to do with Natives..(just throwing that out there ;) )

"The offence occurred in the Cape Breton Highlands on Sept. 13, 2014 and moose hunting season didn't open until Sept. 29."
These guys were hunting out of season and were caught ... nothing more, nothing less..
(whether it be moose, deer, rabbit, grouse, or trout..)

Lets try not to turn in anything more than what it is..(I maybe be wrong, but I get feeling where this was/is heading)
I don't think your wrong. The original poster wanted the topic opened again I guess. The world wildlife organization number of 52% wildlife disappearing is justification for seasons, harvest numbers for all parties.

· Registered
1,281 Posts
Here in NB... Moose violation like that is minimum $1000.00 + 7 days mandatory jail time... (Or at least used to be that way if I recall)

· Registered
5,318 Posts
The "original" poster wanted to show this isn't just a native issue ....anything that has to do with moose the fingers are always pointed in one direction
So let me see, FNH says lets not turn this into any more than what it is, has a fear where this was/is heading. So the debate died, and guess what you re opened it. Hmm. I don't get many answers to my questions on these topics but maybe you can answer this one. Seasons are imposed on non natives as you have pointed out. You say it is not just a native issue. What percentage of the dwindling moose numbers, moose harvested is due to native non native hunting. Would it be 50-50, 75-25, 25-75, I would like to know where you think the highest hunting pressure, harvests comes from.

· Registered
724 Posts
Fines for illegal moose hunting - or deer, bear, etc. - should start at the average price of a similar species trophy hunt from top Canadian and US guide outfitters, and go up from there. That may serve as a better deterrent for poachers, if they could guarantee getting caught was going to cost them as much as booking a guided hunt at minimum, in addition to losing guns, gear and future ban on hunting privileges. It would be a start anyway.

· Registered
1,281 Posts
I read the post.....how does one conclude they were or were not natives ???
For me the Season is not specified by a date...
Its a combination of the right weather and the Pre rut... (for calling/scraping in bulls)

So since the articles say the charges stemmed from a specific date (pre-season), a logical assumption is it was Non-Native hunters...make sense?

· Registered
139 Posts
bullshit all us guys that live here and spend alot of our time in the highlands know many of the assholes that are up there leaving garbage everywhere ,,shooting everything that moves and jacking ,,,farmers cows are getting shot at night by guys that think they are moose,seen the dead cows,i report this when i see it and yet nothing is done about it.im throwing snowballs now with phone calls to authorities , no one seems to have a good answer, or they say they will get back to me,they never do.so im thinking its time to stop throwing snowballs and start throwing rocks.if someone cries racism every time their feelings get hurt they are the ones that are the racists.

· Registered
5,318 Posts
For me the Season is not specified by a date...
Its a combination of the right weather and the Pre rut... (for calling/scraping in bulls)

So since the articles say the charges stemmed from a specific date (pre-season), a logical assumption is it was Non-Native hunters...make sense?
You just gave us all the answer. Regardless what the state of any species is in Canada, only the non natives are required to follow specific seasons, harvest quotas, and if not we suffer the consequences. How do you suppose any wildlife can be properly managed if it is only policed on one group. That's how retarded this whole moose circus is. I think I am going to protest for more culls, please, please get it over with. Do you guys need more ammo, I have lots, what caliper do you need?

· Registered
1,281 Posts
What answer is that..?
That I can and do hunt very conservatively, even without limits or seasons? What does that tell you.....

I dont need someone to tell me what, when and how i can hunt, I was raised to have enough self control, understanding of the animals I hunt and respect of what the Creator gives me to do that myself...

· Registered
5,318 Posts
What answer is that..?
That I can and do hunt very conservatively, even without limits or seasons? What does that tell you.....

I dont need someone to tell me what, when and how i can hunt, I was raised to have enough self control, understanding of the animals I hunt and respect of what the Creator gives me to do that myself...
I feel so stupid now. Degrading actually that me and many others need someone to tell us when, how we can hunt because they figure we have no self control, nor a understanding, respect for animals I guess. I really thought I had these qualities, apparently not. Sucks to be in the group that has too be policed all the time. But like they say it only takes one to screw things up for everyone, well for non natives anyway.You are very fortunate to be able to police yourself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.